Oshkosh Bound Posters, Approach Procedures, and Such

Old July 20th 06, 02:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Jack Allison[_1_]

Default Oshkosh Bound Posters, Approach Procedures, and Such

Morgans wrote:
Also, go out with a buddy and practice very slow flight, S turns to go
slower on approach, fast approaches, and spot landings.

One hesitancy I'd have with S-turns is when on final. If things are too
close, that's the time to plan a go around. If you're S-turning, you
might be slowing down the guy behind you and creating more problems.
IMHO, if I'm too close to the guy ahead of me, I'd rather go around.
Just my 2 cents worth...

Bottom line, everyone arriving at OSH needs to be on their game and able
to maintain altitude/heading/speed. If unable, land elsewhere. It's
really not hard, anyone who considers themselves current should be able
to do the arrival...but it's amazing to see how many folks interpret
1000 AGL and 90 kts differently.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-Instrument Airplane

"To become a Jedi knight, you must master a single force. To become
a private pilot you must strive to master four of them"
- Rod Machado

Old July 20th 06, 03:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

In article ,
"Morgans" wrote:

Have your buddy at the last moment, tell you to fly it down to the middle of
the runway before touching down, or towards the end, or at the last minute,
tell you to change from putting it down at midfield, to on the numbers, and
try to shake you up.

"What is that idiot ahead of us doing? He's slowing down!"
"He was told to land at the far dot, he's landing on the near dot!"
"POWER! POWER! POWER!"
"GO AROUND! GO AROUND!"
(Based on a true experience!)
Old July 20th 06, 03:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

In article ,
Jack Allison wrote:

Bottom line, everyone arriving at OSH needs to be on their game and able
to maintain altitude/heading/speed. If unable, land elsewhere. It's
really not hard, anyone who considers themselves current should be able
to do the arrival...but it's amazing to see how many folks interpret
1000 AGL and 90 kts differently.

And remember, there will be faster airplanes flying 500 feet above and
over your! Maintain YOUR altitude!
Old July 20th 06, 03:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_3_]

"john smith" wrote in message
In article om,
"Eric Bartsch" wrote:

I've looked on the airventure site again and I still find no mention of
using colors for the signs. Can anyone who thinks colors should be
used, send a reference to where those instructions come from? I recall
seeing people using colored signs in the past but couldn't find
anything relevant to this year...

Is it in the NOTAM?

All you need is on this site:
http://www.airventure.org/2006/flyin...202006%20NOTAM

Download the notam from the page.

The bit about the signs is under the "preflight planning"

For goodness sake, if you have never flown into OSH, or been there to see it
in action, or HAVE been there before, read all of the dang thing. It looks
like there are a few changes, this year.

Also, go out with a buddy and practice very slow flight, S turns to go
slower on approach, fast approaches, and spot landings.

Have your buddy at the last moment, tell you to fly it down to the middle of
the runway before touching down, or towards the end, or at the last minute,
tell you to change from putting it down at midfield, to on the numbers, and
try to shake you up.

Remember, listen to instructions from the controller, don't talk unless
absolutely necessary (or asked to reply), and fly the plane. Fly the
plane, fly the plane. Every couple of years, someone gets too slow on
final, and spins it in, with the usual deadly result.

And then, prepare for FUN!
--
Jim in NC

Old July 20th 06, 03:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_3_]

"Paul Tomblin" wrote

I'm looking page 1 of the NOTAM right now, and I still don't see any
mention of colours for the signs. What drugs are you on?

Try to keep up!!! g

That bit was supposedly on Jim Wier's site, from last year's arrival
procedures.
--
Jim in NC

Old July 20th 06, 04:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

Morgans wrote:

No argument from me, but an observation. The controllers are good at
getting the spacing, and it is usually at altitudes under 200 feet, when
things get messed up, by someone not exiting the runway when they are
supposed to, or someone not landing on the correct portion of the runway.

Jim, what day and time in your opinion is the busiest arrival period for
Oshkosh?

www.LiveATC.net has an Oshkosh feed this year and I want to be sure to
catch all the audio action.

--
Peter
Old July 20th 06, 04:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_3_]

"Paul Tomblin" wrote

You're the one not keeping up.

This "Blueskies" guy is
on drugs, because he said "Yes, it's in the NOTAM on page 1" and provided
a link to the NOTAM where it's totally obvious that there is no reference
to coloured paper.

Yep, guilty as charged. I did miss him saying it WAS on the new notam, but
in a thread that went around and around, (quite unnecessarily) it isn't
surprising to miss something like that.

I did have a g in there, so please note I wasn't really on your butt.

I was one of the guys trying to read signs and send planes to where they
wanted to go, last year.

The color of a sign does not really matter. The darkness and size of the
letters (and the contrast) does matter. I'm guessing that my bosses told
the EAA that fact, so they deep six'ed the colors. Just a guess. G
--
Jim in NC

Old July 20th 06, 04:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_3_]

"Eric Bartsch" wrote

Neither this text or the link to the online signs has anything about
colors. I could definitely be missing something, but so far I'm not
convinced that they are using anything beyond white signs with big
block letters...

Assuming you get on the ground safely, with a sign like you describe, you'll
be fine. No worries, mate!
--
Jim in NC

Old July 20th 06, 04:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_3_]

"Jack Allison" wrote

One hesitancy I'd have with S-turns is when on final. If things are too
close, that's the time to plan a go around. If you're S-turning, you
might be slowing down the guy behind you and creating more problems.
IMHO, if I'm too close to the guy ahead of me, I'd rather go around.
Just my 2 cents worth...

No argument from me, but an observation. The controllers are good at
getting the spacing, and it is usually at altitudes under 200 feet, when
things get messed up, by someone not exiting the runway when they are
supposed to, or someone not landing on the correct portion of the runway.

I've seen all kinds of things done, including s turns (if nobody is close
behind you, for you to mess up) and even 360's. Anything is fair game, if
the controllers tell you to do it, and if you feel capable. The go-arround
and saying unable if always a good way out.

Bottom line, everyone arriving at OSH needs to be on their game and able
to maintain altitude/heading/speed. If unable, land elsewhere. It's
really not hard, anyone who considers themselves current should be able
to do the arrival...but it's amazing to see how many folks interpret
1000 AGL and 90 kts differently.

Totally agree.

It is amazing to me that people with little experience, and not on their
game, think they should drop in at peak arrival times. Sometimes, it is
obvious that they have not read the notam.

I once saw someone in a taildragger RV take three times around to get it on
the ground, and even on that last time, it was forced in, and at one point,
I though for sure there was going to be a midair and a fireball.

Let's all make a wish for everyone getting there, and back home, with no
loss of life, this year. Be safe, everyone.
--
Jim in NC

Old July 20th 06, 04:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Montblack[_1_]

("Peter R." wrote)
Jim, what day and time in your opinion is the busiest arrival period for
Oshkosh?

www.LiveATC.net has an Oshkosh feed this year and I want to be sure to
catch all the audio action.

So much depends on weather. This year I'll be arriving (by minivan) on
Satruday so I can catch the action, and get set up for the week. Then I'll
be free to sit and enjoy - on Sunday.

I didn't see OSH on the www.LiveATC.net site, yet.

Montblack