What electronics are worth buying

Old October 26th 18, 06:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default What electronics are worth buying

On Thursday, October 25, 2018 at 2:11:59 AM UTC-4, George Haeh wrote:
I switched PLBs from ACR to McMurdo Fastfind Ranger. A motivating factor was periodic battery replacement. The first replacement battery had already used up over a year of its life on the shelf, but I did get a small credit when I complained. The second time around, the battery replacement quote was not that much less than a new Fastfind which is substantially lighter, more compact and has a longer battery life.

I gave my ACR to a ham radio operator who knows how to use a soldering gun.

Old October 26th 18, 09:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Huthmaker

At that price I would just crack the case open and find out if I could replace the battery myself. Its highly unlikely they made a battery specifically for this device that couldnt be sourced elsewhere.
Old October 26th 18, 11:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

On Friday, October 26, 2018 at 4:59:27 PM UTC-4, John Huthmaker wrote:
At that price I would just crack the case open and find out if I could replace the battery myself. Its highly unlikely they made a battery specifically for this device that couldnt be sourced elsewhere.

They also do testing and re-registration of the unit since if I remember correctly the registration will expire with the buttery.
Old October 27th 18, 03:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I have renewed our ACR PLB registrations at least twice and there were
no requirements to test them that I know of.Â* I really should look into
the battery situation, however.Â* I'm good with a soldering iron; I only
hope the battery is not welded into the circuit.

--
Dan, 5J
Old October 27th 18, 04:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

Default What electronics are worth buying - PLBs

On Saturday, October 27, 2018 at 9:14:05 AM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
I have renewed our ACR PLB registrations at least twice and there were
no requirements to test them that I know of.Â* I really should look into
the battery situation, however.Â* I'm good with a soldering iron; I only
hope the battery is not welded into the circuit.

On 10/26/2018 4:26 PM, Andrzej Kobus wrote:
On Friday, October 26, 2018 at 4:59:27 PM UTC-4, John Huthmaker wrote:
At that price I would just crack the case open and find out if I could replace the battery myself. Its highly unlikely they made a battery specifically for this device that couldnt be sourced elsewhere.

They also do testing and re-registration of the unit since if I remember correctly the registration will expire with the battery.

--
Dan, 5J

I assume you are speaking about the required (re)registration of your PLB at NOAA (versus logging in at the manufacturer's site). If so, then it is true that NOAA registration doesn't ask anything about your battery's condition or testing the unit. Their assumption is that the owner is responsible for this.

That being said my ACR PLB has the expiration date of the battery listed on the back and has a method to test the unit without calling in the troops.

And it goes without saying that a dead battery is about as useless as _______!

- John
Old October 27th 18, 05:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Thanks, I'll look into it.

As I said, I'm not averse to replacing a battery myself.Â* I was really
disappointed when I went to replace the batteries in the ELT in our
C-180 that the battery pack was made up of D-cells (6 of them) wired in
series but, rather than soldered wires there were welded tabs connecting
the batteries.Â* My soldering iron would not deliver the power required
to make solder stick to the batteries. Maybe silver solder and a
torch...Â* But I have no experience with that and would probably blow
myself up... :-(

Old October 27th 18, 05:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, October 27, 2018 at 12:17:47 PM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
[...]

That's why back when I still owned an airplane I switched to an ELT that used off-the-shelf alkaline D cells. Officially.

According to some online "how I replaced it myself" articles, the ACR PLBs use battery packs CR123 type non-rechargeable lithium batteries, but with welded-on tabs. (3 or 6 cells, depending on the model.) Those are not easy to find, and not cheap when you find them. I've seen unauthorized but fully-constructed battery packs (no soldering needed) offered for $50. Still a lot cheaper than the factory-authorized battery replacement service.
Old October 27th 18, 07:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]

On Saturday, October 27, 2018 at 9:17:47 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
[...]

My guess is that the tabs are welded because the heating is very localized and short duration, minimizing the risk that the battery itself would be damaged by excessive heating. I would not mess with this sort of thing as a DIY project.

John is correct, the NOAA registration is independent from battery replacement. I just went through it.

Andy Blackburn
9B
Old October 27th 18, 07:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Huthmaker

There is some weird speculation on this battery deal. So far it doesnt seem like anyone has actually opened the case to look. Sure it could be welded in. Or it could have some little clip that takes a handful of seconds to unplug. If its 50% the cost of the device to replace the battery, I would risk it and crack the device open. Because if I broke the device, I would chock it up to replacing legacy technology with something brand new. Maybe I'm just less risk averse because I've been building computers for 30 years, and have never shied away from cracking the case on something.
Old October 27th 18, 09:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, October 27, 2018 at 2:41:06 PM UTC-4, John Huthmaker wrote:
There is some weird speculation on this battery deal. So far it doesnt seem like anyone has actually opened the case to look. Sure it could be welded in. Or it could have some little clip that takes a handful of seconds to unplug. If its 50% the cost of the device to replace the battery, I would risk it and crack the device open. Because if I broke the device, I would chock it up to replacing legacy technology with something brand new. Maybe I'm just less risk averse because I've been building computers for 30 years, and have never shied away from cracking the case on something.

Certainly some people have opened it up. For example (with pictures):
https://advrider.com/f/threads/acr-r...cement.749245/

I'm confident I can replace the batteries myself, even if it requires soldering. And apparently you don't even need to "crack" the case, only unscrew a few screws. The issue is, if you buy generic batteries whereever, how can you be sure that they are of high enough quality to rely on them powering the PLB for 24 hours 5 years later?

Regarding the re-sealing of the case promised as part of the official battery replacement (how much can a gasket cost?), that is important if you are using the PLB for water sports. For aviation, not so much. Yes you may have a "water landing", but that's rather unlikely.