Runway demolition at Meigs continues

Old August 8th 03, 09:45 PM
Ron McKinnon

"Big John"
Martin

Your right. Just tell it to the acres of American dead buried in
France.

From that war there are acres of dead of
many countries buried in France, and elsewhere
in Europe, Africa, the South Pacific, and Asia.

Many peoples shared in the liberation of Europe,
and the defeat of the Axis powers everywhere
and many people paid the price of that victory.

But as we proudly pat ourselves on the back for
this, we should remember that though countries
like France and other European countries already
under the Nazi heel were the direct and overt
beneficiaries of the Nazi defeat, the Nazis and
their Axis allies were not going to stop there.
Once Britain fell, who would have been next
in their sights?

A victory in Europe was also arguably a victory in
avoiding later waging a continuation of that same
war on US and Canadian soil, but alone now, our
erstwhile allies defeated and gone and their
resources turned against us. Saving 'them',
was also saving ourselves. Anything 'we' did for
them, 'we' also did for ourselves.

Old August 8th 03, 10:50 PM
Gig Giacona

"Rich Carr" wrote in message
om...
"Robert Henry" wrote in message

Here is some boilerplate to facilitate communication of such. I think it

can
be permutated into notice of cessation for other business activities

pretty
quickly.

Unfortunately, I am unable attend the [event]; it is being held in the

City
of Chicago.

And if you can't quite remember all of the events that you had planned
to attend but now must decline, here's a list:

http://www.chicago.il.org/smi/calendar.cfm

Chi town is not TOOO concerned about terrorism they are having this even...

Aug 28-Sep 1
Muslim American Society - Annual Convention
Hyatt Regency Chicago
Delegates: 10,000
www.masnet.org

Old August 8th 03, 10:52 PM
Gig Giacona

"Rich Carr" wrote:

And if you can't quite remember all of the events that you had planned
to attend but now must decline, here's a list:

http://www.chicago.il.org/smi/calendar.cfm

And don't forget that it's easily adaptable for addressing to the event
planners of these and other organizations of affiliation, in advance....

And I can't believe he'd allow aircraft this close to the city.

Aug 16-17
Chicago Air & Water Show
North Avenue Beach
Public
www.cityofchicago.org/specialevents

Old August 9th 03, 10:13 AM
Tom S.

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message

"Tom S." wrote:

Like the ones the Europeans have been overwhelmingly throwing at the US
since we bailed them out in '45?

"We"? You were there?

Musta been...my wife says it, like everything else, was my fault.

Old August 9th 03, 04:55 PM
Martin Hotze

On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 14:25:36 -0500, Big John wrote:

Martin

Your right. Just tell it to the acres of American dead buried in
France.

Heck, they are dead. Go yourself and speak with them. Or speak with others
also fighting agains facism and not beeing American and died. You might be
surprised, but there have also been non-US-people opposing and fighting
(and dieing).

It's obvious that you are too young to have experienced the debacle in
France during WWII and the help (Marshall Plan) that the US gave to
help recover.

And you mean for how long someone should say thank you (you? or whom?) for
this? Another 50 years, 100, 500 years? Forever?

As I said befo I was born 30 years after the war _ended_. I do respect
what they did. But I won't put it into account today for rating a nation.
It's been too long ago.

Big John

#m
--
http://www.usawatch.org/ http://www.alternet.org/
Don't like your neighbor? - https://tips.fbi.gov/

Bombing for peace is like ****ing for virginity.
Old August 9th 03, 04:59 PM
Martin Hotze

On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 20:45:12 GMT, Ron McKinnon wrote:

A victory in Europe was also arguably a victory in
avoiding later waging a continuation of that same
war on US and Canadian soil, but alone now, our

you should also check where some of the German submarines have been. They
have been all along the US east coast and only with the invention of radar
it was possible to have a somewhat save route from the US to GB to deliver
troops and supply.

erstwhile allies defeated and gone and their
resources turned against us. Saving 'them',
was also saving ourselves. Anything 'we' did for
them, 'we' also did for ourselves.

Well, I would put it this way: America has never done something without
first thinking what would be the positive effect for yourself. But this is
the good right of any nation to think this way. But don't wonder that other
countries really _do_ think this way.

#m

Old August 9th 03, 05:27 PM
MLenoch

Bombing for peace is like ****ing for virginity.

Good point. No thank you's needed, but to learn the lessons is the value of
remembering the dead.
VL
Old August 9th 03, 05:43 PM
Martin Hotze

On 09 Aug 2003 16:27:36 GMT, MLenoch wrote:

Bombing for peace is like ****ing for virginity.

Good point.

:-))

No thank you's needed,

fine.

but to learn the lessons is the value of
remembering the dead.

I can only speak for myself: I've learned the lesson.

VL

#m

Old August 9th 03, 10:21 PM
Tom S.

"MLenoch" wrote in message
Bombing for peace is like ****ing for virginity.

Good point. No thank you's needed, but to learn the lessons is the value

of
remembering the dead.

And what lesson was derived from the B-17's and B-29's in 1943-45?

Old August 9th 03, 10:50 PM
MLenoch

And what lesson was derived from the B-17's and B-29's in 1943-45?

If you really have to know.......(just from the B-17s), my parents looked up to
the skies and saw liberation as they flew onto their targets. Someone was
willing to sacrifice their life to liberate my parents. No need to read too
much into that.
VL