Did it -- bought the Cheetah

Old August 14th 03, 04:14 AM
Duane MacInnis

Default Did it -- bought the Cheetah

Alas...

I am now the proud owner of a 1978 Cheetah with 868 hours total time.
AA5A-0660. Starting the annual tomorrow. Maybe new cam & lifters. A
little XC & TLC this fall & winter, then next summer -- gone.

Jay -- save me a room (the Connie), and a beer. Maybe two.

Too cool.

Duane

--
++++++++++++++
Duane MacInnis

Old August 14th 03, 06:01 AM
The Flynns

Welcome to the Grumman ownership!

--
Patrick Flynn
Sammamish, WA

Old August 14th 03, 05:51 PM
Kyle Boatright

"Michael Nouak" wrote in message
"Duane MacInnis" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Alas...

Alas? If I could afford my own plane, I'd be a happy camper.

Mike

Anyone with a middle class income (even low middle class) can afford an
airplane. The key issue is what other things are you willing to give up?
Are you willing to drive an older car? Live in a smaller home in a
not-quite-as desirable neighborhood? Eat in (as opposed to going out to a
restaurant) a few more times a month? Set the A/C on 80F instead of 72?

That's what it takes. We all make sacrifices to some extent in the pursuit
of our interests.

KB

Old August 15th 03, 06:14 PM
Duane MacInnis

"Snowbird" wrote in message
om...
"Duane MacInnis" wrote in message

Alas...

I am now the proud owner of a 1978 Cheetah with 868 hours total time.
AA5A-0660. Starting the annual tomorrow. Maybe new cam & lifters.

Duane, if you're that far into the engine, seriously -- do the
160 hp mod. You will never regret it.

I am wary of the condition of the cam. The airplane has been flown ~50
hours this year past, mostly me before I bought it, but in the 5 years prior
it flew less than 50 hours total. There is more than a little potential for
rust and pitting. Then again -- it may be perfect as the owner declared.
(I insisted in pulling two cylinders. He refused, but reduced the price by
half the cost of the cam. I accepted that. There is a much longer story.)

With this annual, presently underway, I will have two different labs do the
oil analysis plus "ferrography", to see if they can detect any rust or
pitting of the cam shaft & lifters. If their analysis is good, and the
compression holds, I will not pull two cylinders to inspect, and "fly it
till I fry it", waiting for metal to appear. When that happens, then out
she comes, and yes -- a zero time engine and the 160 STC.

If the engine holds together, I will likely paint the old sweetie soon. I
am aware that painting Grummans is another subject entirely.

Thanks for your help. I'm off to the airport to tear the old sweetie apart.

Congratulations, good luck, and don't forget to join AYA if
you haven't. Next July in Wisconsin Dells

Yes -- Gino Dimenna our local AYA guy is on my case too. You will see me on
the list soon. I thought the next convention might be in Qualicum here in
British Columbia?

See ya !

Duane

Cheer,
Sydney

Old August 15th 03, 06:14 PM
Duane MacInnis

"Rick Durden" wrote in message
m...

snip

Only downsides that stick in my mind are
that despite juggling umbrellas, the inside gets wet when you have to
deal with rain as you get in or out,

Yes, I'm in Vancouver (150 NM north of Seattle), so we know a thing or two
about rain. Oh yes. We all have umbrellas in our car, in the front foyer,
at the office -- and in the Grumman.

To offset that is the comfort in the summer. An aircraft cockpit is like a
solar oven, and in this regard the Grumman is a real sweetie. Open the
canopy, and we are coooool. Pipers, which I use for training, are just
awful. I can't understand why people who design and build airplanes in a
hot place like Wichita, would build one without cross ventilation -- like
TWO DOORS.

and it doesn't carry ice well.

Ice -- there will be no flying anywhere near ice for this boy. The winter
here is +2C and 100% humidity on the ground, for about 4 months a year. We
routinely get carb ice while taxiing. I'll be in the coffee shop before I
risk wing ice. But thanks for the caution. The wing seems to be very
sensitive, I did notice that it flies different in heavy rains. Better get
out the wax, and make the old sweetie slippery again.

Best of luck with it. May you have many enjoyable years of flying it.

Thak you !

Duane

All the best,
Rick

Old August 15th 03, 10:05 PM
John Galban

(Snowbird) wrote in message . com...
(John Galban) wrote in message . com...

I recall that the Traveller was 150 hp. What year did
they change the Cheetah to 160 hp from the factory?

Never did, AFAIK. See:
http://www.grumman.net/cgrcc/specs.html

Thanks (Sydney and Rick) for the info. I guess the mod is very
popular. I'd seen so many 160 hp Cheetahs that I thought they were
stock. I'm always learning something new around here!

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Grumann Cheetah bill Owning 2 September 30th 04 03:23 PM
bought me an aeroplane Paul Folbrecht Owning 17 March 27th 04 10:10 PM
I just bought my 1st Plane...Thanks to the newsgroup! WinstonCup Owning 24 February 10th 04 11:46 PM
Has anybody bought the new Airmap 1000 yet? Jerald Malin Owning 0 January 4th 04 09:30 PM
Did it -- bought the Cheetah Duane MacInnis Owning 13 August 18th 03 02:24 PM