Questions about Privatizing ATC

Old August 16th 03, 02:36 PM
Jay Honeck

The actual cost of any employee is their salary/wages plus (benefits if
any)
plus a share of the overheads that are required to keep that employee, (eg
offices/buildings, support-staff, utilities, etc, etc, etc)

Depending upon the industry, the real cost of an employee to an

organisation
is somewhere between 2 and 4 times what the employee is paid.

It's funny to read you guys in "the corporate world" struggling to define
how much an employee is worth. I see all these arcane formulas, and
multipliers, and what have you, in an effort to quantify what work really
is... The conversation brings back many bad memories of attending
weeks-long budget sessions back when I was a corporate whore. We'd sit
there for hours on end, listening to this kind of stuff, nodding sagely and
desperately hoping to survive until the cocktail hour...

As a small businessman, on my third business, I will verify for you that
this is all crap. I'm here to tell you that there is only one way to define
what an employee is worth, and that's "How much work do they do?"

If the answer is "A lot", the second question to ask is "Can I get someone
to do the same work -- or more -- at the same quality, for less money?" In
the world that I inhabit, those are the only two things that matter.

In the world of Big Gubmint, it appears that these questions are rarely (if
ever) asked (it's much easier to invent a multiplier, divide the total
budget allotted by the multiplier, and then arrive at a number of people to
be hired, rather than do any actual analysis) but it appears that someone in
the Bush Administration is actually asking them with regards to ATC.

If I were an air traffic controller, I'd be taking a real hard look at this,
before someone else decided it for me.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 16th 03, 04:04 PM
G.R. Patterson III

john smith wrote:

What company pays future pension payments for current employees?

Every company. A certain amount of money must be deposited in a special fund
every year for every employee. The amount varies from year to year based on
the amount of interest the funds generate. The Federal government specifies
the formulae for calculating the amount.

George Patterson
Brute force has an elegance all its own.
Old August 16th 03, 07:14 PM
Jay Honeck

What company pays future pension payments for current employees?

Every company. A certain amount of money must be deposited in a special

fund
every year for every employee. The amount varies from year to year based

on
the amount of interest the funds generate. The Federal government

specifies
the formulae for calculating the amount.

???

This is news to me, George.

Only thing I pay into that even remotely fits this description is Federal
Unemployment 940 tax (FUTA).
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 17th 03, 02:20 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Jay Honeck wrote:

Only thing I pay into that even remotely fits this description is Federal
Unemployment 940 tax (FUTA).

Last time I looked, you weren't a "major business (like AT&T, IBM, etc.)".

Old August 17th 03, 04:44 AM
Jay Honeck

To be honest, Jay. A million bucks just doesn't go very far these days.

Send it my way -- we'll make a small fortune out of it!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 17th 03, 10:58 PM
Chip Jones

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

[snipped]

If I were an air traffic controller, I'd be taking a real hard look at

this,
before someone else decided it for me.
--

What's the point anymore? Someone else is gonna decide for air traffic
controllers anyway. Down here we figure that we can't fight it, you people

Old August 18th 03, 07:05 PM
Snowbird

"Chip Jones" wrote in message ...

What's the point anymore? Someone else is gonna decide for air traffic
controllers anyway. Down here we figure that we can't fight it, you people
don't care anyway

Tsk, tsk Chip. Expect airdrop of Swede Momsen memorabilia
you can read during wee-hour feeding.

(for those who have no idea who Swede Momsen was
http://www.onr.navy.mil/focus/blowba...en/default.htm
though it doesn't quite do him justice)

You can fight anything. It's just a matter of whether you
believe it's worth fighting enough to figure out how. I'm
not judging, mind. These things take immense amounts of
energy and time. Famous saying "when up to your ass in
alligators, it's hard to pursue goal of draining the swamp"
applies.

Sydney