Anti Aviation

Old August 16th 03, 01:15 AM
'Vejita' S. Cousin

In article ,
Yossarian wrote:
I'm sure you knew the base was there when you moved in, too

Most people don't seem to notice things like train tracks, highways or
airports when they buy a house. It's always 'a surprise' after the fact.
Sort of like buying a house across from all the frats at the local college
(issue here at the University of Washington a few years back).
Old August 16th 03, 01:42 AM
Roger Halstead

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 13:44:07 -0700, "Kevin McCue"
wrote:

We used to get complaints from homeowners about noise when we flew R/C
sailplanes!

Actually the full size ones sound a lot like a jet coming toward you,
but no roar when going away.

When we lived on the farm I was out washing the car one day and heard
a jet. I couldn't find it...Then I looked straight up.

Over the "freshly cut" wheat field was a column of sail planes.
There must have been 8 or 10 (maybe more), but that was a long time
ago. I grabbed the VCR...Yes, I had a VCR...all mechanical and the
camera was one of the so called "Minicams" used by TV stations.

Time I got the whole works hooked up and a tape inserted there were
just some tiny dots many thousands of feet above that looked as much
like birds as airplanes.

I was trying to watch those graceful birds while also trying to get
the VCR and Minicam to talk to each other.

www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R World's oldest Debonair? (S# CD-2)
Old August 16th 03, 04:54 AM
Big John

Yossarian

Yep. I was stationed there as an instructor.

Base housing was hard to come by and being a junior officer had pretty
much last choice. The house came open and I took it.

As I said, after a week never bothered me, my wife or my young
daughters.

Didn't have A/C in those days with a tight house to keep out noise.
Had a 'swamp cooler which didn't make much noise to cover outside
noise.

Big John

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 05:24:47 GMT, "Yossarian"
wrote:

I'm sure you knew the base was there when you moved in, too

"Big John" wrote in message
.. .
1949 Williams AFB, AZ

I lived about 100 yards from tie down area where F-80's were run up
after maintenance. This normally started after mid night.

Kept me awake for about a week. Nevr heard them for next 4 years.

Some people just like to bitch.

Big John

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 18:42:53 -0700, "hillbilly_hippo"
wrote:

Ohhhhhhhh man. What a bunch of nutbags. I simply cannot believe that a

group
of people can whine and bitch soooooo much! Geeze. I certainly hope none

of
them live near my airport, I'll be dodging birdshot from a crazy

hillbilly
while I'm turning final! Holy crap.
I simply cannot believe that there is a person that posts there that

is
advocating banning medi-vac helicopters simply because the NOISE disturbs
him! I swear.

John Y.
PP-ASEL

Old August 16th 03, 02:36 PM
Continental Bill

"Dan Luke" c172rgATbellsouthDOTnet wrote in message ...
noise... go over to alt.activism.noise.polution

Thankfully it appears that my ISP filters THAT particular group out...

He misspelled it. It's alt.activism.noise.pollution (two l's)

I don't think I'd worry too much about those guys over at
alt.activism.noise.pollution. Of the twenty-five posts on the front
page, two posters are responsible for nineteen of them.

In a week they'll be over at alt.ban.guncontrol and a week after that
they'll be on alt.stop.personalwatercraft. Their attention spans are
way too short to really stick with anything for very long.

BillC85
Fitting the cowling on the Cassutt
Old August 16th 03, 03:20 PM
Dennis O'Connor

The majority of helo airlifts are unjustified medically... This has been
researched by multiple different researchers with the same findings...
Horror stories of ambulances sitting at the scene holding the patient for
the arrival of the helo for longer than it would have taken them to drive
the route in the first place... Patients with non life threatening injuries
being airlifted, and on, and on... I could regale you with tales of my days
as an assistant coroner trying to reason with the police officer at the
scene who was just salivating to call a helo - but, this will get way too
long.. Further, helo airlifts have an astounding crash and burn statistical
rate... Ranks right up there with driving your Harley to the bar on New
Years Eve...

The helos cost a fortune to keep and to run, so they have to haul cases that
need not have been airlifted in order to have the cash flow to meet the
overhead...

Politics play the major role in the funding of hospital helos... I had a
conversation last week with the CEO of our hospital, which is just now
acquiring it's own helo... I asked him; Why are you getting a helo now when
xxx hospital's helo has been serving the city for years? With just the
trace of a smile he said; Well, for one you no longer sit on the executive
committee... (Guess how I voted every time it came up) And two, that helo
is flying around with xxx's name on the side... We can't have that!

Denny
"Judah" wrote in message
How much would it cost to get the ambulances to keep the sirens blasting
during their ride?

Old August 16th 03, 04:15 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Roger Halstead wrote:

Even though he had some sympathy, he ruined his credibility as I had
only made three passes climbing out over his house in 5 hours.

A similar character ruined his complaining about a blimp that went over his
house enroute to Solberg. This guy was trying to blame the noise on the airport
next door (Mannville). Winds were pretty high, so the blimp took a while to go
by. He claimed to the reporters that the blimp was so low that he could have
jumped up and touched the basket from his roof.

Blimps make pretty good radar signatures, and this one was on a flight plan.
The paper checked, and Newark radar had the blimp at 600 feet the whole way.

George Patterson
Brute force has an elegance all its own.
Old August 16th 03, 04:39 PM
C J Campbell

There are plenty of nutcases around. So what if someone advocates banning
medevac helicopters because of the noise? Is anyone going to pay serious
attention to him?

Old August 16th 03, 08:22 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"C J Campbell" wrote in message

There are plenty of nutcases around. So what if someone advocates banning
medevac helicopters because of the noise? Is anyone going to pay serious
attention to him?

I think a good many people would pay serious attention to him.

Old August 16th 03, 10:51 PM
hillbilly_hippo

Airplanes interfering with your dog fence? Um, yeah. What these people
really need are some tinfoil hats.

.......attached to a light socket. ;-)

John Y.
PP-ASEL