A&P heroics

Old July 16th 05, 12:38 AM
Jim

Default A&P heroics

A&P heroics in landing gear save:

http://www.mccookgazette.com/story/1109870.html

-Jim

Old July 16th 05, 12:51 AM
Kyle Boatright

"Jim" wrote in message
oups.com...
A&P heroics in landing gear save:

http://www.mccookgazette.com/story/1109870.html

-Jim

Happy to see that these guys succeeded, but this kind of thing shows poor
judgement.

You're taking a real chance of a plane vs pickup truck accident, and that's
likely to result in fatalities. Belly the aircraft in with the prop turning
and let the insurance company deal with it. Better for them to buy you a
new engine, prop, or airplane than for them to buy someone all that stuff,
plus a pickup truck and a few coffins.

Why not deadstick the airplane to a belly landing, and "save" the
powertrain? Because you have not practiced that maneuver, and doing it dead
stick prevents you from a go-around if you don't like the setup. Again,
sacrifice the airplane, it can be repaired or replaced.

KB

Old July 16th 05, 12:59 AM
Skywise

"Jim" wrote in news:1121470690.030107.157140
@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

A&P heroics in landing gear save:

http://www.mccookgazette.com/story/1109870.html

-Jim

A few questions.

Why so fast, "90 mph"? What are the v speeds of this plane? I couldn't
find them readily online. Looking at the photo it didn't appear the flaps
were down at all. I'm thinking with flaps they could have gone slower down
the runway and the pickup would have been able to keep up easier and
they'd have more time on each attempt.

But I'm glad they succeeded so well.

Brian

Blog: http://www.skywise711.com/Blog

Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?
Old July 16th 05, 02:19 AM
Montblack

("Skywise" wrote)
http://www.mccookgazette.com/story/1109870.html

Why so fast, "90 mph"? What are the v speeds of this plane? I couldn't
find them readily online. Looking at the photo it didn't appear the flaps
were down at all. I'm thinking with flaps they could have gone slower down
the runway and the pickup would have been able to keep up easier and
they'd have more time on each attempt.

A motorcycle helmet on the guy with the pole is the first thing I looked
for.

http://www.risingup.com/planespecs/i...plane205.shtml
Cessna Centurion - Stall Speed

Montblack

Old July 16th 05, 03:00 AM
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Skywise wrote:
Why so fast, "90 mph"? What are the v speeds of this plane? I couldn't
find them readily online. Looking at the photo it didn't appear the flaps
were down at all. I'm thinking with flaps they could have gone slower down
the runway and the pickup would have been able to keep up easier and
they'd have more time on each attempt.

I always used 80 knots (or about 90 mph) on final in the C-210. You could slow
it down a little more but you're messing around with "coffin corner" if you have
to climb out again.

These guys did an excellent job.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Old July 16th 05, 03:15 AM
George Patterson

Skywise wrote:

Why so fast, "90 mph"? What are the v speeds of this plane? I couldn't
find them readily online. Looking at the photo it didn't appear the flaps
were down at all. I'm thinking with flaps they could have gone slower down
the runway and the pickup would have been able to keep up easier and
they'd have more time on each attempt.

Stall with full flaps is 60 mph.

George Patterson
Why do men's hearts beat faster, knees get weak, throats become dry,
and they think irrationally when a woman wears leather clothing?
Because she smells like a new truck.
Old July 16th 05, 04:49 AM
Skywise

George Patterson wrote in news:%4_Be.1884$YD3.1605
@trndny03:

Skywise wrote:

Why so fast, "90 mph"? What are the v speeds of this plane? I couldn't
find them readily online. Looking at the photo it didn't appear the flaps
were down at all. I'm thinking with flaps they could have gone slower down
the runway and the pickup would have been able to keep up easier and
they'd have more time on each attempt.

Stall with full flaps is 60 mph.

Thanks all for the info, although my other question still stands.

Is there any reason to NOT make this effort at a slower speed using
flaps? The picture clearly shows the flaps up. Is the aircraft more
controllable?

Old July 16th 05, 04:57 AM
Mike Rapoport

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote in message
. ..
Skywise wrote:
Why so fast, "90 mph"? What are the v speeds of this plane? I couldn't
find them readily online. Looking at the photo it didn't appear the flaps
were down at all. I'm thinking with flaps they could have gone slower
down
the runway and the pickup would have been able to keep up easier and
they'd have more time on each attempt.

I always used 80 knots (or about 90 mph) on final in the C-210. You could
slow it down a little more but you're messing around with "coffin corner"
if you have to climb out again.

These guys did an excellent job.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

The coffin corner is where the Mach limit and the stall speed come together
at extremely high altitudes.

Mike
MU-2

Old July 16th 05, 05:27 AM
Jay Honeck

These guys did an excellent job.

Sorry, but I agree with Kyle. I'm glad it came out okay, but...

....those guys are dumber than a box o' rocks. A plane is nothing but a
tool, and it sure ain't worth risking lives to save -- and they put several
lives at risk with their silly stunt.

Belly the plane in, jack it up, fix it, and everyone walks away.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 16th 05, 05:52 AM
W P Dixon

Of course that is taking it for granted the pilot had the skill to belly it
in without killing everyone on board. Dang leave it to you guys! An A&P
saves a pilots butt and the poor A&P still can't get a break! When
someone knows the outcome could very well be their own death,...hmmmm does
hero come to mind? Ya'll are sure a hard crowd to please......

Patrick
student SPL
aircraft structural mech
and you can bet your sweet bippy , you would have crashed if you were
waiting on me to pull your gear down riding in a truck!