A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Owning
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

ELT Checks



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old November 19th 03, 03:47 AM
Bob Noel
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

In article [email protected]_s52, dave
wrote:

Mine isn't!
Damn expensive AA batteries

Dave


what about the antenna? isn't that grounded? hint hint hint.




Russell Kent wrote:
Is the ELT ground tied to the plane's ground? :-)


--
Bob Noel
Ads
  #12  
Old November 19th 03, 04:09 PM
dave
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Nope,
Its one of those little self contained units.
It has one of those wire antennas that poke you in the eye when you go
into my baggage compartment.

Dave

Bob Noel wrote:
In article [email protected]_s52, dave
wrote:


Mine isn't!
Damn expensive AA batteries

Dave



what about the antenna? isn't that grounded? hint hint hint.




Russell Kent wrote:

Is the ELT ground tied to the plane's ground? :-)




  #13  
Old November 19th 03, 04:37 PM
Ron Natalie
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default


"dave" wrote in message news:[email protected]_s52...
Mine isn't!
Damn expensive AA batteries

AA's? Who uses AA's. The ACK and AK both use D cells.


  #14  
Old November 19th 03, 04:38 PM
G.R. Patterson III
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default



Bob Noel wrote:

what about the antenna? isn't that grounded? hint hint hint.


Mine isn't.

George Patterson
The actions taken by the New Hampshire Episcopalians (ie. inducting a gay
bishop) are an affront to Christians everywhere. I am just thankful that
the church's founder, Henry VIII, and his wife Catherine of Aragon, and his
wife Anne Boleyn, and his wife Jane Seymour, and his wife Anne of Cleves,
and his wife Katherine Howard, and his wife Catherine Parr are no longer
here to suffer through this assault on traditional Christian marriages.
  #15  
Old November 19th 03, 04:44 PM
Kevin Chandler
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

One additional thing I thought of is.....

Why do ground schools teach all of the rules of when you can test the ELT
( first 5 minutes of each hour ) if you are not authorized to test it?

Anyone else find this curious?
Kevin


  #16  
Old November 19th 03, 05:41 PM
rip
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Interesting point! I think the original intent there was lead-acid
starter batteries, but it does indeed just say "batteries".
And I should correct my statement to say that while the owner/operator
can replace the battery (hell, he can replace the entire engine), he
can't make the logbook entry for return to service.
My reasoning goes like this:
The preventive maintenance section deals in particular with either
easily replaceable parts, or SPECIFIC examples of life limited parts
that the owner/operator can replace or repair. Given that the ELT
battery is a life limited part (like an air or oil filter), to what
extent is the owner allowed to dismantle an object to effect the
replacement? Can he open a GPS to replace a memory back-up battery?
If not, why not? It's a battery after all. I think the answer lies in
what must be done after the replacement to declare that the item is
airworthy, and just flipping the switch on the ELT and listening for a
few sweeps doesn't qualify (IMHO). The all important g-switch must also
be exercised (and probably the output power too), and neither of these
falls under the purview of the owner/operator.
Just my view; as always I'm looking forward to seeing reasons why I may
be wrong!

Rip
Navion 5186K

Ron Natalie wrote:
"rip" wrote in message . com...

Nope. The list of things an owner/operator is allowed to do is very
specific. Replacing, testing, or logging the replacement or testing of
an ELT battery is not on the list. (Appendix A to Part 43 -- Major
Alterations, Major Repairs, and Preventive Maintenance).



Item 24 on 43xA.vc is "Replacing and servicing batteries."



  #17  
Old November 19th 03, 05:43 PM
Ron Natalie
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default


"Kevin Chandler" wrote in message ...
One additional thing I thought of is.....

Why do ground schools teach all of the rules of when you can test the ELT
( first 5 minutes of each hour ) if you are not authorized to test it?

Who says you're not authorized to test it? The question is whether your testing
satisfies the annual inspection requirement. There's more to the test than just
turning it on.


  #18  
Old November 19th 03, 05:56 PM
Ron Natalie
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default


"rip" wrote in message . com...

Just my view; as always I'm looking forward to seeing reasons why I may
be wrong!


I'll argue two things here. First, for TSO-91c ELT's the instructions for
the continued maintenance are spelled out specifically in the manual,
including how to change the batteries. There's no requirement to do the
G switch test (nor any overriding need to do so). That only has to be done
every 12 months.

However, even if such testing were required, I argue the the owner-pilot is
still authorized to return it to service. After I replace my main aircraft
battery you can be danged sure I'm going to test it before returning the aircraft
to service.

You're making requirements that don't exist in the regulations. As for changing
internal batteries in things not designed to be easily accessible, that is covered
by the initial phrase in 43xA.c "Preventive maintenance is limited to the following
work provided it does not involve complex assembly operations."


  #19  
Old November 19th 03, 06:07 PM
rip
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

If it's not spelled out in the ICA, that's good enough. Thanks, Ron!

Ron Natalie wrote:
"rip" wrote in message . com...


Just my view; as always I'm looking forward to seeing reasons why I may
be wrong!



I'll argue two things here. First, for TSO-91c ELT's the instructions for
the continued maintenance are spelled out specifically in the manual,
including how to change the batteries. There's no requirement to do the
G switch test (nor any overriding need to do so). That only has to be done
every 12 months.

However, even if such testing were required, I argue the the owner-pilot is
still authorized to return it to service. After I replace my main aircraft
battery you can be danged sure I'm going to test it before returning the aircraft
to service.

You're making requirements that don't exist in the regulations. As for changing
internal batteries in things not designed to be easily accessible, that is covered
by the initial phrase in 43xA.c "Preventive maintenance is limited to the following
work provided it does not involve complex assembly operations."



  #20  
Old November 19th 03, 06:26 PM
G.R. Patterson III
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default



rip wrote:

Interesting point! I think the original intent there was lead-acid
starter batteries, but it does indeed just say "batteries".
And I should correct my statement to say that while the owner/operator
can replace the battery (hell, he can replace the entire engine), he
can't make the logbook entry for return to service.


According to a Wings seminar I once attended, not only is allowed to log what
he/she did, the owner is *required* to log it.

George Patterson
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something that can
be learned no other way.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Formation flying Bingo Home Built 21 August 23rd 04 12:51 AM
~ 8 MORE DEAD US SOLDIERS - 93 IN APRIL SO FAR - BUSH CHECKS TURKEY MORRIS434 Military Aviation 0 April 22nd 04 09:44 AM
Radio talk in the UK Paul General Aviation 36 March 8th 04 11:57 PM
A couple Questions-Ramp Checks and Experimental Operations Badwater Bill Home Built 48 October 8th 03 09:11 PM
Flight Checks Mark Jackson Instrument Flight Rules 5 September 24th 03 06:39 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 AviationBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.