"F-35 Test Flight Deemed a Success"

Old December 21st 06, 05:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
Starshiy Nemo

Default "F-35 Test Flight Deemed a Success"

Extorsion of money from a lot of "co-operant", more exactly co-slaved
countries !!!
Old December 21st 06, 08:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
Mike[_7_]

Since when are new aircraft's flying time lasting 40 minutes when the
norm is an hour-long first flight?

Mike

Old December 23rd 06, 10:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
Jack

Ed Rasimus wrote:

Repeat after me: "STRAFING IS STUPID!"

There are RARE occasions when strafe is a necessary alternative. But
they are very much the exception.

"A fighter without a gun...is like an airplane without a wing."
--Brigadier General Robin Olds, USAF.

Jack
Old December 23rd 06, 03:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
Ed Rasimus[_1_]

On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 10:04:24 GMT, Jack wrote:

Ed Rasimus wrote:

Repeat after me: "STRAFING IS STUPID!"

There are RARE occasions when strafe is a necessary alternative. But
they are very much the exception.

"A fighter without a gun...is like an airplane without a wing."
--Brigadier General Robin Olds, USAF.

Jack

Very good, Jack. But please note that strafing is NOT using a gun in
air-to-air.

And, one should also note that when Robin went to war in SEA, he chose
to go in the F-4, which at that time was sans gun. He did OK and if
you talk to him about it, he'll tell you that the "God-damned AIM-4"
was a lot more of an issue than his lack of a gun.

We've got no disagreement about putting a gun in every fighter that
has any possibility of being engaged air-to-air.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org
www.thundertales.blogspot.com
Old December 23rd 06, 04:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
Starshiy Nemo

That's the new. This aircraft will fly 40 min where the others were
flying one hour ... to save fuel

LOL
Old December 23rd 06, 05:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval

Ed Rasimus wrote:

[...]

Cheap, reliable, last ditch weapon...a must in almost every military
tactical A/C..maybe even the V-22

Old December 23rd 06, 10:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
Jack

Ed Rasimus wrote:

We've got no disagreement about putting a gun in every fighter that
has any possibility of being engaged air-to-air.

Careful wording, that. What matter the medium in which your target
operates, to a true fighter pilot? We wouldn't want to give the
impression of air-to-air arrogance. Would we?

"CAS is continuing to morph into a stand-off delivery game.
The troops-in-contact provide accurate coordinates or laser-
designation and the stand-off platform dumps iron on the
cross-hairs. It isn't as glamorous as snake-n-nape at 50 feet,
but it is much more accurate and effective." -- E. Rasimus

Oh sure, very glamorous indeed, but not much use when bad guys are not
only in the wire, but on your side of the wire. And that brings up the
question of whether 30mm might not be a little too heavy for this
particular scenario?

Strafing as a mission may suck today, but it always did -- even when it
was just too much damn fun to ignore. But as a capability and a skill,
it must be respected and won't go away. You can do things with a gun you
can't do without it, I'm sure you'll agree. And those are very important
jobs -- CAS jobs -- the kind that keep our people fighting or bring them
home when they can't.

T-I-C and SAR assets won't always have laser-designators and GPS. If
they had all that stuff working they might not be in so much trouble in
the first place.

Jack