personal property tax on homebuilt aircraft

Old August 20th 03, 03:18 PM
Stu Fields

Default personal property tax on homebuilt aircraft

Jim Weir: I believe that you made reference to an exemption from personal
property tax assessment on the basis of less than 5 aircraft of a specific
model being made? Can you provide a reference to the tax code where that
is defined? (I hope that this applies to California??)

Stu Fields

Old August 20th 03, 08:40 PM
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
"Stu Fields" wrote:

Jim Weir: I believe that you made reference to an exemption from personal
property tax assessment on the basis of less than 5 aircraft of a specific
model being made? Can you provide a reference to the tax code where that
is defined? (I hope that this applies to California??)

Stu Fields

It DOES apply in California. Get the information on "historic aircraft"
from your tax collector. You pay a one-time fee of $35 (per county
based) and have to agree to display it to the public at least 12 days
per year.

--
To get random signatures put text files into a folder called ³Random Signatures² into your Preferences folder.
Old August 21st 03, 04:43 AM
Corrie

Orval Fairbairn wrote in message .. .
In article ,
"Stu Fields" wrote:

Jim Weir: I believe that you made reference to an exemption from personal
property tax assessment on the basis of less than 5 aircraft of a specific
model being made? Can you provide a reference to the tax code where that
is defined? (I hope that this applies to California??)

Stu Fields

It DOES apply in California. Get the information on "historic aircraft"
from your tax collector. You pay a one-time fee of $35 (per county
based) and have to agree to display it to the public at least 12 days
per year.

Is "display to the public" defined in the law?
Old August 21st 03, 06:40 AM
Ken Sandyeggo

"Stu Fields" wrote:

Jim Weir: I believe that you made reference to an exemption from personal
property tax assessment on the basis of less than 5 aircraft of a specific
model being made? Can you provide a reference to the tax code where that
is defined? (I hope that this applies to California??)

Stu Fields

It DOES apply in California. Get the information on "historic aircraft"
from your tax collector. You pay a one-time fee of $35 (per county
based) and have to agree to display it to the public at least 12 days
per year.

Doesn't have to be less than 5 made, it just needs to be "antique" and
for you to display it 12 times a year. I'm rusty on the years they
consider "antique" in California, maybe 35 years old or older. I used
to get the exemption on my Ercoupes.

Ken J. - Sandy, Egg Ho
Old August 21st 03, 05:42 PM
Greg Burkhart

"Ken Sandyeggo" wrote in message
om...
Doesn't have to be less than 5 made, it just needs to be "antique" and
for you to display it 12 times a year. I'm rusty on the years they
consider "antique" in California, maybe 35 years old or older. I used
to get the exemption on my Ercoupes.

Ken J. - Sandy, Egg Ho

I realize this thread is mostly for California registration/tax. MN has
Antique/Classic registration for aircraft over 50 years old at a one time
fee of $25.
"If an antique or classic aircraft is owned and operated solely as a
collector's item"
(http://www.dot.state.mn.us/aero/avof...creg/info.html)
I registered my Ercoupe in MN and paid the one-time fee.

Old August 21st 03, 08:10 PM
Ken Sandyeggo

Bernie the Bunion wrote in message ...
Ken Sandyeggo wrote:

I used to get the exemption on my Ercoupes.

Ercoupes ?????

Just how many did you own.???

I owned 3, but not all at the same time....a 66 Alon A2A which was the
prototype A2A and started as a leftover Forney, a 49 G model and a 46
C model.

Ken J. - Now Coupeless in Sandy Eggo
Old August 21st 03, 08:25 PM
Bernie the Bunion

Ken Sandyeggo wrote:

I owned 3, but not all at the same time....a 66 Alon A2A which was the
prototype A2A and started as a leftover Forney, a 49 G model and a 46
C model.

Well that impresses the Bejeesus out of me.

Any chance you could post some info as to your involvement with
these planes.

When you got them, what were they like to own, maintain, fly etc.

For us arm chair pilots ( and lurkers ) what are the main differences
between the models.... For instance do the numbers indicate model
numbers or years they were produced in.

Don't know about others in the group but I'm always interested in
those types of stories and details.

Speaking of pictures - I don't ever recall seeing pics of these planes
on your website, do you have any - please and thank you.

And finally if your site is still up could you post the URL. I'd like to
see your latest $100 hamburger shots of you and your bottomless
sidekick.

Bernie
Old August 22nd 03, 03:06 AM
Ken Sandyeggo

Ken Sandyeggo wrote:

[...]

Bernie, maybe your post will be the thing that kicks me in my ass to
update my website. I've been flying the AAI conversion for months and
still don't have any photos of it in the new configuration on my site.
Here it is anyway:

http://www.geocities.com/kenj_sandye...l?942383509800

When I get around to updating, I'll scan some 'Coupe photos and give
them a section.

The letters give a general time frame. The "C"s were the originals,
but most were upgraded to "CD"s or "D"s if I recall. Mostly had to do
with the elevator range I believe. The Alon had factory pedals and
the "G" (around 1949) had them added with an after-market kit. The
"C" was the original rudder-pedal-less version and was the one that I
liked flying the best. There's no rudder trim, so I was always
dancing on the rudder pedals to keep her straight. You just forget
about it in the "C." If she flies sideways, you just keep your feet
flat on the floor. You landed it the same way, in a crab. She'd
straighten right out when the mains touched, and then you lowered the
nosewheel so you could steer. If someone was so used to rudder pedals
and had a hard time adjusting, you could glue 2 big rectangular
sponges on the floor and then they could press their feet to their
heart's content.

They were pretty easy to maintain, except there's been a lot of
corrosion showing up in the aluminum ribs and at the wing roots as
most are well over 50 years old now. One AD calls for making Swiss
cheese out of the bottoms of the wings for inspection holes. I think
an alternative is a borescope inspection of some kind. If anyone buys
one, make sure the wing-corrosion AD is taken care of or at least
reflected in the price. I loved flying them and if I ever went back
to FW, I'd probably get another. They're not as cheap as they used to
be. You could get a really nice one for around 6-8000. I paid a
premium price of 10 thou for my polished "G" model as it was a superb
restoration. A few owners later it went for around 17 thou. Probably
worth well over 20 today if it's in the same condition.

Ken J. - Sandy A. Ghowe
Old August 22nd 03, 03:15 AM
Roger Halstead

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 07:18:10 -0700, "Stu Fields"
wrote:

Jim Weir: I believe that you made reference to an exemption from personal
property tax assessment on the basis of less than 5 aircraft of a specific
model being made? Can you provide a reference to the tax code where that
is defined? (I hope that this applies to California??)

In Michigan there is no personal tax on individually owned airplanes.
Sales tax when you purchase and a yearly registration which is based
on weight and far, far less than an automobile.

www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R World's oldest Debonair? (S# CD-2)

Stu Fields

Old August 22nd 03, 08:52 AM
Corrie

"Greg Burkhart" wrote in message news:3E61b.216963$YN5.148805@sccrnsc01...

"If an antique or classic aircraft is owned and operated solely as a
collector's item"
(http://www.dot.state.mn.us/aero/avof...creg/info.html)
I registered my Ercoupe in MN and paid the one-time fee.

Greg, how does MN deal with homebuilts? According to that page,
you're required to register "when you acquire all or part of an
aircraft" - that *could* be construed as the first shipment of spruce
and plywood.

But since you're the manufacturer, and the registration fee is based
on the aircraft manufacturer's list price ... say I set a list price
of $1. What does the state do?

I suppose once it's flying they want you to register it as a
"recreational aircraft" for $25 annually. It'd be nice if a new
aircraft built from "classic" plans such as a Fly Baby or Pietenpol
would qualify for the one-time fee.