Anyone fly out of Ramona, CA?

Old October 28th 03, 04:37 AM
Jim Fisher

Default Anyone fly out of Ramona, CA?

My sister runs a wild animal rehabilitation center (part of the Fund for
Animals) that is a stone's throw from RNM. The fires out there are getting
uncomfortably close to the rehab center.

Phones are down and my sister's cell phone is on and off. The only news I
can get is what is shown on CNN or FOX.

Is there anyone out there that can give me a birds eye view of the
destruction in Ramona?

Thanks,

--
Jim Fisher

Old October 28th 03, 06:38 AM
Flynn

Try http://www.signonsandiego.com

We've got family in SD Country Estates, Julian and Scripps Ranch. It's
amazing how far it's spread.

. ..

Old October 28th 03, 04:08 PM
lance smith

Hi Jim,

Most of Ramona is ok, the Cedar fire went to the south of the
populated areas, and the Paradise fire was to the north. The center
isn't in Ramona proper, but I think it's ok. It wasn't even evacuated
(except for 2 roads). I climbed up one of the local mtns (which is now
on fire i think) and the city looked ok for the most part.

the location of the rehab center:
http://www.fundwildlife.org/contactus.html

the map of the fires:
http://www.kfmb.com/misc/sd_fires_20...emap-400pm.jpg

RMN is functional, it's far enough away from the fire. It's also a CDF
air base so they'll do everything they can to keep it open. (decent
airport too, just expanded with a new tower opening in the spring)

-lance smith

Old October 28th 03, 06:03 PM
Jim Fisher

"lance smith" wrote in message
Most of Ramona is ok, the Cedar fire went to the south of the
populated areas, and the Paradise fire was to the north.

Yeah, but the fires are less than a mile away from my sisters place west of
Roman proper. If the winds change, they gotta get the hell out quickly.

Thanks gentlemen. If you hear of anything else would you mind posting again
in this thread? I'll check back often.

--
Jim Fisher

Old October 28th 03, 10:14 PM
lance smith

here's a nice overview of the fires as of monday night:
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/f...ierypaths.html

the Metar from Ramona airport:
KRNM 282053Z AUTO 14005KT 1/2SM FG CLR 26/26 A2987 RMK AO2 SLP102
T02610261 56019 TSNO
(the weather station is getting confused with the smoke: there's no
fog and the dewpoint isn't 26. There's no ILS, I'm not sure what the
fire folks are doing. There is another airport w/ fire retardent tho)

-lance smith

Old October 29th 03, 05:18 AM
Jim Fisher

"lance smith" wrote in message
om...
here's a nice overview of the fires as of monday night:
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/f...ierypaths.html

That is fantastic, Lance. Thank you.

My sister's place is about where the "V" is in "Highland Valley Rd."
southwest of Ramona.

I still can't get in touch with her (land and cellular lines are dead,
evidently) so if you or anyone hears any news about the Fund for Animals
Wildlife Rehabilitation Center, I'd appreciate a posting here or an email.

--
Jim Fisher

Old October 29th 03, 06:55 AM
Flynn

Understand from family there that the folks in SD Country Estates were
allowed to go home about mid-day today. Julian, Pine Hills, and surrounding
however are in real trouble. All were evacuated, in our families' cases to
Borrego Springs. As of mid afternoon the house just outside Julian off 79
was still standing.

We heard that Cuyamaca is gone. Our prayers are with your families as well
as the firefighters.

Old October 29th 03, 03:30 PM
lance smith

Here's the latest. Its focus is on the Cedar/Ramona fire since the
Otay fire is 100% contained:
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/f...ernfronts.html

The latest Metar from RNM:
KRNM 291453Z AUTO 00000KT 3/4SM BR CLR 07/06 A2987 RMK AO2 SLP108
T00720056 53007 TSNO
It really is foggy now, winds have reversed (now blowing from the
west) and is pushing the fire east (as seen in the link). The good
news is that the air quality has improved in some areas, hundred of
people have gone to the hospital for respiratory problems.

I just heard on the radio that arson is suspected in many of the
fires. Terrible. Over 15 dead and 1000 homes destroyed so far. CDF
estimates that containment will not happen for another week.

Old October 30th 03, 05:39 PM
lance smith

Jim- If you're still interested here's the latest map:
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/f...rontlines.html

the fires have spread a little more but they are starting to get a handle on them.

Old November 3rd 03, 05:40 AM
Aloft

RNM is getting a TOWER??? That place isn't nearly busy enough to rate a
tower in my book, CDF tankers or not.