home equity loan or refianance to buy airplane?

Old September 14th 05, 10:44 PM
John Doe

Default home equity loan or refianance to buy airplane?

Read in one of the monthly magazine rags about getting a home equity loan or
refinancing your house and getting cash out to pay for an airplane.

Has anyone actually done this and if so, is this a better option than just
getting a straight aircraft loan.

I'm being quoted 6.75% right now for a 20 year fixed for the amount I want
to borrow for a plane. Refianance companies have said I could get under 6%
if I roll it into my home loan.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks.

Old September 14th 05, 10:54 PM
Kyle Boatright

"John Doe" wrote in message
Read in one of the monthly magazine rags about getting a home equity loan
or refinancing your house and getting cash out to pay for an airplane.

Has anyone actually done this and if so, is this a better option than just
getting a straight aircraft loan.

I'm being quoted 6.75% right now for a 20 year fixed for the amount I want
to borrow for a plane. Refianance companies have said I could get under
6% if I roll it into my home loan.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks.

If you're looking at it from a purely financial standpoint, remember that
you can write off the interest paid on a home loan, whereas you can't on an
airplane loan. Depending on the term and rate, borrowing against the house
could significantly reduce the effective interest rate.

KB

Old September 15th 05, 03:06 AM
Dave S

this is my opinion, and nothing more...

NEVER, EVER jeopardize your homestead to finance a hobby.

Dave

Old September 15th 05, 03:44 AM
tony roberts

What Dave said.

Tony
--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL

Old September 15th 05, 04:17 AM
zatatime

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 02:44:15 GMT, tony roberts
wrote:

What Dave said.

Tony

this is my opinion, and nothing more...

NEVER, EVER jeopardize your homestead to finance a hobby.

Dave

Yep.

Old September 15th 05, 07:19 AM
#1ACGuy

Well put! I won't pull money out of my house either.
I don't have much on credit, and I pay credit cards in full when I use them,
but if I did, I still wouldn't borrow off my house to pay for it.
If you get in trouble with car payments because something happens to your
income, they repo the car. If you refinance your house to pay off credit
cards and auto loans and lose your income, they take your house.
An airplane is something I will have to finance, but I"ll keep it separate.
The rate you're getting quoted sounds good.

Alex

Old September 15th 05, 08:14 PM
Frank Stutzman

Dave S wrote:
this is my opinion, and nothing more...

NEVER, EVER jeopardize your homestead to finance a hobby.

Well, I MOSTLY agree.

This was a dozen years ago, but I had the cash on hand to buy my plane.
Instead doing it that way though, I thought it made better sense to take
out a home equity loan to buy the plane. I stuck the cash into some
relatively safe (hence low-yield) investment. Made a bit of money on
investment and at the same time got to deduct the loan interest off the
taxes. If something had happened to my income, I would have cashed out
the investment and paided off the loan.

I never would have done it if I didn't have a way to pay off the loan
instantly. Going into pure debt for your hobby is a really bad idea,
IMHO.

--
Frank Stutzman
Bonanza N494B "Hula Girl"

Old September 15th 05, 09:37 PM
Dave S

Frank Stutzman wrote:
Dave S wrote:

this is my opinion, and nothing more...

NEVER, EVER jeopardize your homestead to finance a hobby.

I never would have done it if I didn't have a way to pay off the loan
instantly. Going into pure debt for your hobby is a really bad idea,
IMHO.

So it was never really in jeopardy!

Dave

Old September 15th 05, 11:46 PM
Oracle

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 17:54:44 -0400, Kyle Boatright wrote:

"John Doe" wrote in message
[...]

Doesn't sound like .75% is "significant".

Just to hammer this home, most states plus federal laws, make it very hard
to lose your house...unless you put it up for collateral on a loan. Once
you've done that, you have more or less signed away any protection you
previously had.

The deal that Frank worked is the only situation I would ever dream of
doing a home equity loan. And, don't forget, should the worst happen, you
not only need enough to pay off your loan, but enough to live off of until
things get better. Don't confuse that money with "nest-egg" money.

Greg