Local community college wants to cut flight instructor pay.

Old April 11th 07, 03:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Jim Logajan

Default Local community college wants to cut flight instructor pay.

The local paper has an article about the local community college that
wants to cut the pay of its flight instructors:

http://www.registerguard.com/news/20...ion=cityregion

Among other tidbits, I was surprised to see this:
"Flight technology is popular, with about a dozen instructors and more
than 100 students. The demand for pilots is so strong that most students
get jobs soon after completing the degree and flight hour requirements."
Old April 11th 07, 04:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Robert M. Gary

http://www.registerguard.com/news/20...pilots.0410.p1....

Among other tidbits, I was surprised to see this:
"Flight technology is popular, with about a dozen instructors and more
than 100 students. The demand for pilots is so strong that most students
get jobs soon after completing the degree and flight hour requirements."

If CFIs are willing to work for less than it would be irresponsible to
continue to pay them above market with tax payer's money. If they
would be paying below market they will be sitting there with no CFIs.

-Robert, CFII

Old April 11th 07, 03:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Gig 601XL Builder

Robert M. Gary wrote:
On Apr 10, 7:38 pm, Jim Logajan wrote:
The local paper has an article about the local community college that
wants to cut the pay of its flight instructors:

http://www.registerguard.com/news/20...pilots.0410.p1....

Among other tidbits, I was surprised to see this:
"Flight technology is popular, with about a dozen instructors and
more than 100 students. The demand for pilots is so strong that most
students get jobs soon after completing the degree and flight hour
requirements."

If CFIs are willing to work for less than it would be irresponsible to
continue to pay them above market with tax payer's money. If they
would be paying below market they will be sitting there with no CFIs.

-Robert, CFII

I agree with you Robert and they may well end up with no instructors but
this is really not a lot different than a grad student teaching an undergrad
class. Also, if the CFIs are under the union agreement they may well be
being paid over the market rate.

One thing that leads me to think this may well be the case is the fact they
have "more than 100 students" and are losing $150,000/yr. That's in the
neighborhood of $1,500 per student/year. Either they are undercharging for
the service are they are poorly managing the program. Hardly a first for
either higher education or flight schools.

Old April 11th 07, 04:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Al G[_1_]

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 10, 7:38 pm, Jim Logajan wrote:
The local paper has an article about the local community college that
wants to cut the pay of its flight instructors:

http://www.registerguard.com/news/20...pilots.0410.p1....

Among other tidbits, I was surprised to see this:
"Flight technology is popular, with about a dozen instructors and more
than 100 students. The demand for pilots is so strong that most students
get jobs soon after completing the degree and flight hour requirements."

If CFIs are willing to work for less than it would be irresponsible to
continue to pay them above market with tax payer's money. If they
would be paying below market they will be sitting there with no CFIs.

-Robert, CFII

Assuming instructors of equal skill & motivation, I agree. I have seen
situations where a highly motivated & experienced staff was rapidly replaced
with 500 hour wonders, that would work for less. The school was out of
business in a year.

Al G

Old April 11th 07, 04:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Maxwell

"Al G" wrote in message

[...]

My last BFR I drew a expert with about 250 hours, and man what an
experience. Much tougher than my check ride years ago. From now on I'm
checking THEIR logbook before the commiting to any dual.

Old April 11th 07, 05:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Robert M. Gary

On Apr 11, 8:35 am, "Al G" wrote:
"Robert M. Gary" wrote in ooglegroups.com...

[...]

Al G- Hide quoted text -

Yep, just like any business. Assuming the school doesn't want to "go
out of business" they will only pay as much as is required to get the
level of skill their business requires. Anything beyond that is
welfare.

-Robert

Old April 11th 07, 06:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Morgans[_2_]

"Robert M. Gary" wrote

If CFIs are willing to work for less than it would be irresponsible to
continue to pay them above market with tax payer's money. If they
would be paying below market they will be sitting there with no CFIs.

Attitudes like that is why unions were formed.

A professional working a full day should make a decent living, not a welfare
living.
--
Jim in NC

Old April 11th 07, 06:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Newps

Morgans wrote:

Attitudes like that is why unions were formed.

A professional working a full day should make a decent living, not a welfare
living.

No. You are worth what somebody is willing to pay. Don't like it?
Move. Unions didn't come into existence because of low pay but
primarily because of working conditions.
Old April 11th 07, 08:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Newps writes:

No. You are worth what somebody is willing to pay. Don't like it?
Move. Unions didn't come into existence because of low pay but
primarily because of working conditions.

It's not that simple. Sometimes a heterogenous labor pool can include people
who are willing to work for less than a subsistence wage, competing with
people who cannot afford to do so. The former pull down wages for the latter,
causing problems. And the former are not really being paid a living wage, so
it's not necessarily a fair arrangement. Unions sometimes protect against
this as well.

Old April 11th 07, 09:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Robert M. Gary

On Apr 11, 10:14 am, "Morgans" wrote:
"Robert M. Gary" wrote

If CFIs are willing to work for less than it would be irresponsible to
continue to pay them above market with tax payer's money. If they
would be paying below market they will be sitting there with no CFIs.

Attitudes like that is why unions were formed.

A professional working a full day should make a decent living, not a welfare
living.
--
Jim in NC

Attitudes like that is what brought us the Soviet Union, Cuba, and
China. If there are qualified people who want to teach there so bad
that they are willing to work there for less than living wage (which
is what grad students do all the time), then it is irresponsible to
spend taxpayers (or owner's) money paying them more. If you raise the
wage above market you just end up with a waiting list of CFIs who
cannot work there because someone already got that "uniion gig", even
if he's willing to work there at reduced rate for the experience. i.e.
if you screw up supply/demand you end up with waiting lists, ever see
a bread line in Russia???

-Robert, MBA