Standalone artificial horizon

Old May 29th 20, 04:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default Standalone artificial horizon

Richard Lancaster wrote on 5/28/2020 11:45 AM:
On Thursday, 28 May 2020 18:31:31 UTC+1, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Is this for a glider? If not, then maybe an airplane forum would yield better remarks.

Hi Eric, yup it's for a glider.

What are your plans that require such an excellent AH? And will there be a backup
for it?

Old May 30th 20, 01:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

Two things;

- You can advertise that you want to buy something glider related at glidersource.com.

- ClearNav has announced the release this year of a color vario with an AH.
Old June 1st 20, 12:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

What are your plans that require such an excellent AH? And will there be a backup
for it?

Why would anyone want an AHRS that is *not* high quality? That seems like the kind of instrument we either want to know we can trust or else it doesn't belong anywhere near our planes.
Old June 1st 20, 02:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

https://www.kanardia.eu/product/horis/

FYI: I emailed the manufacturer and was quoted 990 Euros plus shipping.

Old June 4th 20, 10:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Lancaster[_2_]

On Friday, 29 May 2020 00:02:59 UTC+1, 2G wrote:
I have the Garmin G5 PFD and love it. It differs from the AV-30 (besides being square) in that the airspeed and altitude displays are strips that move up and down. I use the altimeter as a vario for weak thermals. Also, you can very precisely control airspeed vs a steam gauge ASI.

Tom

Interesting. I've never flown anything with that kind of strip/tape display, and have always looked at still images of such displays and thought they were unnecessarily confusing and failed to convey the big picture at a glance. You've enlightened me to their upside.

Cheers,

Richard
Old June 5th 20, 10:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Thursday, June 4, 2020 at 2:05:46 PM UTC-7, Richard Lancaster wrote:
On Friday, 29 May 2020 00:02:59 UTC+1, 2G wrote:
I have the Garmin G5 PFD and love it. It differs from the AV-30 (besides being square) in that the airspeed and altitude displays are strips that move up and down. I use the altimeter as a vario for weak thermals. Also, you can very precisely control airspeed vs a steam gauge ASI.

Tom

Interesting. I've never flown anything with that kind of strip/tape display, and have always looked at still images of such displays and thought they were unnecessarily confusing and failed to convey the big picture at a glance. You've enlightened me to their upside.

Cheers,

Richard

A PFD is a major paradigm shift on how information is presented to the pilot. A PFD really tightens the instrument scan, which is vital if you ever find yourself in actual IFR conditions. I encourage anyone considering putting an AHRS into their cockpit to take some instrument training. One of the best lessons I had while getting my power ticket was a night flight during overcast conditions (no Moon or stars or city lights to give you a hint of the horizon, and, just in case, the CFI put me under the hood). The CFI had me put the hood down so I couldn't see anything and he put the plane into an unusual attitude. He, then, gave control back to me and I had to recover from the unusual attitude using instruments alone. It went very well and definitely built my confidence that I could save myself from an unexpected IFR situation. Years ago, I actually had to during a wave flight (w/o any IFR instrumentation), but that's a story for another time.

Tom
Old June 5th 20, 11:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Tomorrow is lift to 40k, pesky clouds at 4k.

With all these fancy instruments (ADSB, Flarm, GPS, AHRS, Flux cap), ought the US figure out a way to do cloud flyng without an Instrument rating and a power plane to keep it current?

Old June 6th 20, 12:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

ought the US figure out a way to do cloud flyng without an Instrument rating and a power plane to keep it current?

Sure. Just ignore the regulations and go for it. If you get busted, you made the call. Unless your aircraft is approved for night flight, or instrument flight and you have the proper clearances, ratings and permission, you are taking your chances with the authorities. My glider is only approved for Day VFR. And that's fine with me. I've flown in clouds, both with and without AHRS, and I simply don't enjoy it. AHRS is nice to have, and I might opt for the LXNav upgrade sometime, but not right now.

Old June 6th 20, 01:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, June 5, 2020 at 6:34:08 PM UTC-5, wrote:
ought the US figure out a way to do cloud flyng without an Instrument rating and a power plane to keep it current?

Sure. Just ignore the regs...

Was thinking adjust the regs to make a way to do it safely with the new gadgets.

Was expecting much hotter flames. Interesting.

Artificial Horizon – HELP! Mike Mike Ground Soaring 8 September 30th 11 08:17 AM
Electronic Artificial Horizon Stuart Kinnear Soaring 14 May 3rd 07 06:56 PM
artificial horizon DavidH Home Built 14 March 14th 07 08:47 AM
Artificial horizon pinout? [email protected] Home Built 3 July 16th 06 02:02 PM
Artificial Horizon testing Rory O'Conor Soaring 6 April 5th 05 11:48 PM