Ron did it!!

Old September 24th 06, 07:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Margy Natalie

Default Ron did it!!

As of this morning Ron Natalie is an instrument rated pilot!! I guess
all those impromptu extra vacation days due to haze are over :-). This
is great!

Margy
Old September 24th 06, 07:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Bob Noel

In article ,
Margy Natalie wrote:

As of this morning Ron Natalie is an instrument rated pilot!! I guess
all those impromptu extra vacation days due to haze are over :-). This
is great!

congrats!!

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old September 24th 06, 08:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
M[_1_]

Congrats!

Now remember, IFR in a light plane can only really safely go in about
20% of the instrument weather mother nature can throw at you.

However, an instrument rated pilot can go in about 40% of the VFR
weather that would have been too risky for a VFR-only pilot to attempt,
due to the the risk of weather closing in being too great.

Therefore paradoxically, by getting an instrument rating you will find
yourself flying a lot more VFR than you had before :-)

Old September 24th 06, 09:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Matt Barrow

"Margy Natalie" wrote in message
m...
As of this morning Ron Natalie is an instrument rated pilot!! I guess all
those impromptu extra vacation days due to haze are over :-). This is
great!

Concrats to Ron. Of course, a lot of "excuses" have just vanished. :~)
--
Matt
---------------------

Old September 24th 06, 09:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
A Lieberma

"M" wrote in news:1159126950.376577.321490
@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com:

Now remember, IFR in a light plane can only really safely go in about
20% of the instrument weather mother nature can throw at you.

However, an instrument rated pilot can go in about 40% of the VFR
weather that would have been too risky for a VFR-only pilot to attempt,
due to the the risk of weather closing in being too great.

Really, sure hope you are saying the above "tongue in cheek"???? If
not, where are you getting your statistics as my own personal experiences
sure contradict what you say above???

Since getting my instrument ticket, I have only scrubbed two XC flights
due to thunderstorms in which one was this past friday from the long cold
front pushing through. Where I live, icing is a very rare encounter
(KMBO - Madison MS) though it does happen, just I have not had to scrub a
flight due to icing conditions. Can't speak for the northern folks.

Before my instrument ticket, I can't tell you how many XC flights I have
scrubbed due to benign IMC conditions. One was too many, but if I had to
guess it was between 7 and 10 flights.

Therefore paradoxically, by getting an instrument rating you will find
yourself flying a lot more VFR than you had before :-)

Nope, what happens is that you find yourself flying towards VFR
conditions, by getting on top of the cloud deck. The IA rating gives you
an expanded oppurtunity to getting to visual conditions rather then
having to scud run and the such.

Allen
Old September 24th 06, 10:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Emily[_1_]

M wrote:
Congrats!

Now remember, IFR in a light plane can only really safely go in about
20% of the instrument weather mother nature can throw at you.

However, an instrument rated pilot can go in about 40% of the VFR
weather that would have been too risky for a VFR-only pilot to attempt,
due to the the risk of weather closing in being too great.

Therefore paradoxically, by getting an instrument rating you will find
yourself flying a lot more VFR than you had before :-)

Uh, ok. That's not the case for me, nor most of the pilots I know.

Congratulations to Ron anyway. But...why isn't he posting all about the
ride?
Old September 24th 06, 11:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
RK Henry

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 16:43:19 -0500, Emily
wrote:

M wrote:
Congrats!

Therefore paradoxically, by getting an instrument rating you will find
yourself flying a lot more VFR than you had before :-)

Uh, ok. That's not the case for me, nor most of the pilots I know.

That may refer to the fact that most IFR flights are flown in VMC.
After a few minutes of climbing through IMC, you're in sunshine for
the rest of the flight. Considering that you'd be at home watching
television otherwise, you do more VFR flying.

RK Henry
Old September 24th 06, 11:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

Yea Ron! (and Margy for helping/waiting!)!

Jer/

In rec.aviation.student Margy Natalie wrote:
As of this morning Ron Natalie is an instrument rated pilot!! I guess
all those impromptu extra vacation days due to haze are over :-). This
is great!

Margy

Best regards,

Jer/ "Flight instruction and mountain flying are my vocations!"
--
Jer/ (Slash) Eberhard, Mountain Flying Aviation, LTD, Ft Collins, CO
CELL 970 231-6325 EMAIL jeratfrii.com http://users.frii.com/jer/
Old September 25th 06, 12:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Margy Natalie

Margy Natalie wrote:

As of this morning Ron Natalie is an instrument rated pilot!! I guess
all those impromptu extra vacation days due to haze are over :-). This
is great!

Margy

We tend to spend lots of time in the mountains of WVA (often when other
folks are plowing through VFR) not sure if the haze, clouds, mountains
and us will all meet at the same time. We tend to be on the fairly
conservative side although the XM weather makes some decisions easier
then they were before. Of course sometimes it paints up all sorts of
stuff we would never have imagined was out there before :-). We spent
an entire day at our home airport this summer waiting to go to OSH
because it was 700 broken and 1.5 miles. EVERY other airport within 20
miles was reporting CAVU. That really was not a good day!

Margy
Old September 25th 06, 12:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
kontiki

Please pass along my congratulations. That's a difficult rating but well
worth the effort. Along with the honor is also the responsiblity of maintaining
currency and expanding experience and competency but the reward is more
flying opportunities than before.