Extra Kollsman Altimeter Poimters

Old July 11th 05, 12:19 AM
RomeoMike

The little black triangle look like an altitude bug. It looks like it
can be moved around to whatever position you choose. But then I haven't
read the whole thread to know if that's true.

You guys are missing the little black triangle just to the left of the 1000' label...does it move?

Old July 14th 05, 05:36 PM

Icebound wrote:
"Lakeview Bill" wrote in message
m...
Here's a modern Falcon Gauge unit with the same markings...

http://www.falcongauge.com/images/pr...sitiveALT1.jpg

Where are they? I cannot spot any markers in your pic other than the 3
indicated-altitude pointers.

The moving indicators that dennise9 is writing about, are the tiny triangles
at the 3, and just to the right of the nine.... reading minus-700 in the
pic, as per the article which I posted about earlier. Since (s)he has
moved them independently of the Kollsman Knob (partly in response to my
speculation, I must confess), they are probably slightly in error for the
altimeter setting shown ( 30.90 )... I would expect closer to -1000 (or the
outer pointers at 0 and the inner on the 9)

So I am recommending putting the Kollsman at 29.92, resetting the markers
independently to zero zero, and then we would see if they go to near -1000
(as I would expect), when the Kollsman is put back to 30.92.

Or, if (s)he has already reset the pointers to zero-zero at 29.92, then -700
might just be a more accurate reflection of the 1.00 inch change in
altimeter setting between 29.92 and 30.92, than is the usual rule-of-thumb:
100 feet per .1 inch in altimeter setting.

Wow, what a group! I never expected such discission on my old
altimeter. Thanks! From the posts, it makes me think that I have a real
antique here with three hands and two "reference markers". After
reading all your posts, together with Iceman's excellent link and
comments, my conclusion is this.

The reference markers are simply the "altitude equivalent" of the
pressure in the Kollsman window, referenced to zero-zero at 29.92. The
markers show positive altitudes (CW = positive) for Kollsman settings
lower than 29.92 and negative (CCW = negative) altidudes for Kollsman
settings above 29.92.

With the reference markers set to zero-zero at 29.92,at my present
location (about 5,300 ft above sea level), a manual 1 inch Kollsman
change to 28.92 gives a reference marker indication of about +940 feet.
A manual 1 inch Kollsman change to 30.92 shows a reference marker
indication of about minus 920 feet. I can't explain why a 1 inch change
above and below 29.92 doesn't give the same absolute altitude change
e.g. +920 ft, and -920 ft. Instead I get +940 ft. and -920 ft.

In todays times, as someone has mentioned, the only use I can see for
the markers is as follows. For situations when the Kollsman wndow is
'blanked out' one could take the local given pressure, convert that
into an equivalent altitude, dial it in with the reference markers,
then read the correct altitude above MSL from the normal hands.

Dennis

Old July 14th 05, 07:31 PM
Icebound

wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

It *is* explainable and consistent.

The difference between 29.92 and 30.92 is within a *higher* average pressure
range, and hence denser air, and hence a change from one pressure level to
another is actually a *smaller* altitude change. Between 29.92 and 28.82,
it is a *lower* average pressure, less dense air, and so you have to go
farther in order to get the same 1.00 pressure change.... apparently about
20 feet farther, according to your instrument.