Plane Watching

Old June 6th 05, 03:05 AM
KertDawg

Default Plane Watching

Hello,

I'm looking for an airport in central North Carolina at which I can
watch airplanes and listen to them on my handheld scanner. I've done
this before in other parts of the country with some pretty good
results. For instance, at Allegheny County Airport (KAGC) near
Pittsburgh, PA, you can walk out in front of the tower and watch
private jets, helicopters, and quite a few light aircraft for hours. I
just like watching and listening.

However, in NC, I've not found a good airport at which to do this. For
instance, at the Piedmont Triad Int. Airport (KGSO) in Greensboro,
there are some pretty big jets, but you can't get close enough to see
much happening. At other airports, like KBUY or KIGX, you can get
really close, but you might see one or two planes per hour on a good
day.

Can anyone recommend an airport in central North Carolina (or close
enough for a day trip) to an airport that might be better suited?
Thanks for any replies.

- Kertis

Old June 6th 05, 03:19 AM

Well while not in NC, if you are ever out in Central California.
Palo Alto Airport (KPAO) you can walk right out to the taxi way (next
to the runway) where there is a nice bench to sit.

I frequently spend afternoons there taking in the sights and tune my
reciever to the tower. It is almost an unwriiten rule that as the
planes (ok, technically the pilots/passengers )taxi back from
landing they wave at you.

Educational, free entertainment.

Old June 6th 05, 04:01 AM
W P Dixon

With not knowing the call numbers of the airports in that area, I seem to
recall alot of access close to Winston-Salem. Alot of GA traffic , and if
Timco is still operating there you may see some big boys from time to time.

Patrick
student SPL
aircraft structural mech

Old June 6th 05, 05:00 AM
Morgans

"KertDawg" wrote

I'm looking for an airport in central North Carolina at which I can
watch airplanes and listen to them on my handheld scanner.

Although not central NC, Hickory (HKY) meets those requirements. Three
flights a day with Delta regional jets, one of the highest in NC for
corporate movements, an a fair amount of training flights.

Hickory is at exit 123 (state route 321) off of I-40. Going North on 321
will put you on the top of the Blue Ridge Mountains, in less than 40
minutes.
--
Jim in NC

Old June 6th 05, 05:32 AM
Chris W

Dave D wrote:

It is a public bench on a public airport. I first learned about it from
people (non-pilots) who hike the Bay trails and love to watch planes with
their kids.

Why can't these people buy up all the houses around airports?

--
Chris W

Gift Giving Made Easy
Get the gifts you want &
give the gifts they want
http://thewishzone.com
Old June 6th 05, 06:42 AM
Dave D

That would be nice. Today I flew into Pine Mountain Lake airport (E45)
today. Near the end of the taxiway was a sign
saying *no runups beyond this point*. Obviously a noise abatement procedure.
Behind the sign was a private taxiway leading to a couple of huge homes,
each with one or two planes parked out front. No homes without planes were
in sight.
Just kind of funny. Dont get me wrong, this is a really neat airport, on a
beatiful site in the foothills of the Sierra's. The Corsair Cafe on the
field has good food and everyone was very friendly.

Dave

"Chris W" wrote in message
newsnQoe.12339$rb6.217@lakeread07...

Old June 6th 05, 09:51 AM
Jay Beckman

"Morgans" wrote in message

"KertDawg" wrote

I'm looking for an airport in central North Carolina at which I can
watch airplanes and listen to them on my handheld scanner.

Although not central NC, Hickory (HKY) meets those requirements. Three
flights a day with Delta regional jets, one of the highest in NC for
corporate movements, an a fair amount of training flights.

Hickory is at exit 123 (state route 321) off of I-40. Going North on 321
will put you on the top of the Blue Ridge Mountains, in less than 40
minutes.
--
Jim in NC

I was under the impression from a friend of mine who used to live in
Hickory, NC that KHKY lost their commercial carrier traffic?

- Has it resumed, or did it never go away?

Jay Beckman
PP-ASEL
Chandler, AZ

Old June 6th 05, 11:37 AM

"Dave D" wrote:
It is a public bench on a public airport.

I know. But even "public airports" have areas that are/were not intended
to be "free entertainment" areas. My point was just that it's a bench
that seats maybe 3 people -- it's doubtful that bench was meant to be a
gathering place for public "plane watchers". It is where students drop
off their CFIs when they depart on their first solos, and the CFI has a
place to sit, listen with their handheld (the bench is close to the
tower) and "supervise" their students' takeoffs, patterns, approaches
and landings. I've seen family members and close friends watching, too.

I first learned about it from
people (non-pilots) who hike the Bay trails and love to watch planes with
their kids. This would be a point to bring up at the PA city council meeting
tomorrow.

It may be "public" now, but if people were to start showing up in large
numbers, odds are it wouldn't be "public" anymore. It's not SFO or SJC
or LAX, but even smaller airports have security concerns.

Having worked at a flight school at a Class D airport, our ramp is
gated, and while it's not impossible for the public to get inside on
foot, the TSA shows up on occasion to go over policies on who we are
permitted to allow to pass through our doors onto the ramp. Well-meaning
people asking to go out our back door to "watch airplanes" were often
angry when we'd tell them we could not allow access to anyone without
specific business on the ramp unless we escorted them personally. They'd
look at us as if we were crazy! But there are not only security
concerns, but also SAFETY concerns for both the pilots and the
spectators of having public access to the ramp. Certainly, we've all
seen how well some people watch their kids (not!), and non aviation
people aren't always aware of ramp safety procedures.

None of the above is meant to sound snooty, only realistic. I love to
plane watch as much as anyone!

Passenger crash-lands plane after pilot suffers heart attack R.L. Piloting 7 May 7th 05 11:17 PM
Rental policy Robert Piloting 83 May 13th 04 05:29 PM
rec.aviation.aerobatics FAQ Dr. Guenther Eichhorn Aerobatics 0 October 1st 03 07:27 AM
rec.aviation.aerobatics FAQ Dr. Guenther Eichhorn Aerobatics 0 September 1st 03 07:27 AM
rec.aviation.aerobatics FAQ Dr. Guenther Eichhorn Aerobatics 0 August 1st 03 07:27 AM