Crankshaft balance

Old December 14th 05, 09:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Crankshaft balance

One gram is darn close for your application. You will notice a
difference when ya fire up the new beast.

The machine shop found the biggest discrepancy in couple of rod big
ends - 10g?.

Was this engine a first time run motor and never been into before?...

I got this engine in pieces with 1500 loged hours and rebuilt it. I
put about 85hrs on it since then. But the vib got annoying above
2400rpm. Here in SD its not ideal flying weather till Feb. so I decided
to use the time to improve the engine.
SQ2000 canard: http://www.abri.com/sq2000

Old December 21st 05, 02:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Morgans" wrote in message

"Fly" felk AT gbronline.com wrote

Parts trading is well known trick in in many fields. And savy people

know
it.
And anyone savy knows aircraft cranks have discreet marks to begin

with.

Whoever the Bobby you're thinking of must be some p.o.s working in the

auto
shop in Jackson.

I could care less

Kent Felkins

Obviously, you could care less, or you would not have posted a rebuttal.

He
may be correct, or may be incorrect. I did notice that you did a very

nice
job of turning it around to slam someone else, however.

I don't know you from a hole in the ground. I'm glad you think you work

in
a good shop. You would not be working in my shop, if you did not think
where you were working was a good place. Good for you.

That said, "my" opinion of what got you "rubbed the wrong way" was your
attitude that your way was the only way, and that because you worked on
aircraft engines, no one else might be capable of doing as good a job, or
better.

Around where I live, there are racing engine shops everywhere. They feed
the racing market with engines that up and coming future stars in the auto
racing world use. While you attempt to build engines that are reliable,
they only have to be reliable at very modest power levels. The
displacements of an aircraft engine that put out 200 HP, are putting out
over 750 HP in the racing world. They do so at the expense of a long

life,
but they are very reliable in that designed life span. They strive to get
just a couple more HP, or a smoother engine, or one that will have better
fuel economy to beat their competition. They innovate, and experiment,

and
develop things that are incorporated into future mass produced engine
designs.

All the while, you are rebuilding 1930's engines, with precious few
innovations. I'm glad someone is doing it, and doing it well. Don't be
offended when someone else says they are capable of doing it as good, or
better. Some may be able to do just that.

To think that these engine builders don't have some tricks that you are

not
interested in, or allowed to do by the FAA, or capable of performing that
results in making a smoother running engine is extremely smug of you. I
have no doubt that some may be able to do some things your shop has never
even dreamed of.

The person posting got some technical details wrong, but so what. He is

not
the racing engine rebuilder. They are out there, and do quite well, thank
you. You would do well to acknowledge the fact that others do know their
craft, and have pride in it, just as you do.

Feel free to jump in and offer advise, and opinions about subjects you are
well versed in. No doubt, you have a lot to offer this group.

The most valued members come here with humility, and knowledge, but enter
into discussions with the idea that they may find someone who knows as

much
or more. There is always someone out there smarter than yourself. (or
myself)

With that, is the fact that some do not know when to shut up, or when to

not
flame. Those are the pitfalls of a public forum. Thick skins are

required.

soapbox = off.
--
Jim (Morgan) in NC