Migration to XP pro and Simulators, Help!

Old January 1st 04, 05:39 PM
JRC

Default Migration to XP pro and Simulators, Help!

I'm slowly moving everything to XP Pro SP-1, due to MS-es non-support
of Win98. I've upgraded still to all available patches since this
late [beta], OS was released.

The first problems I've discovered with using sim apps on it was that
IL-2 absolutely would not run. Even with everything else shut down.
Well, it would run, but very very slow. I couldn't even navigate
options within it, without much frustration, because mouse pointing
was so unresponsive! Totally unusable and unacceptable performance
of IL-2. Even after much tweaking of XP. I don't see any issues
concerning this on IL-2's website. Has anyone else encountered this
specific problem or other sims not working on XP SP-1?

Can you run MS latest or FS2002 ok? Will it run my old favorite Fly!
? I'm afraid I'd go nuts with the frustration of trying!

My system has:
2.4G AMD processor, runs at 2.1
Gigabyte GA-7VAXP Mboard w/ Via KT400/AGP8x/4x,
FSB 333/266/200 Socket A,
512MB ram, 3 DDR Dimm
ATI Radeon 64MB 8500LE
Award BIOS flashed 9-3-2003

I run a static swap file on a third and "fastest" hd set at 1000MB.
My fsb is running at 333Mhz.

I've got to say I am getting more than a little frustrated and angry
with MS products and spending inordinate amounts of time trying to
get it, and apps to run as they should and my next migration is going
to be to Lindows in the very near future, as they supposedly have
software that will run all MS apps within that OS. I mean
purchaseable options to do that, anyway.

I've had several other problems, including a very trying experience
at trying to install Java on XP, [it took several hours over several
days to accomplish]. Exhausting attempts at installing Norton 2004,
also took several hours over several days, only to create such
eventual problems only a month later as total corruption of itself
after installing 12-23-2003 program updates, [XP hangs at shutdown
and had an inability to read certain Norton apps' memory], which
prevented it from doing so. It led to a better AV solution in Nod32
however, after NO solution from Symantec support, nor refund at this
point. I could go on and on, but I have a job, I have to eat, I just
don't have time to wrangle with MS beta OS'es and energy robbing
Symantec! What do the rest of you do???

Thanks,
JRC

Old January 1st 04, 10:04 PM
Dashi

What's the specs for your computer. It's not an XP or MS problem but most
likely a system problem within your computer.

You probably have Win98 on a "Fat" drive and if you are trying to transfer
files manually to XP over to a "NTFS" drive it is not going to work very
well.

You need to format "C" drive and completely reinstall everything from
scratch.

If XP frustrates you don't even think of Linux or Lindows.

If you need some help ask but don't trash XP and MS unless you are sure that
is the problem as many of us have XP and FS9 running perfectly on our
systems.

Dashi

Old January 1st 04, 10:22 PM
Dashi

Ok I see your specs.

You should have either two or four memory dimm's not three. DDR means dual
data rate and most newer mobo run it dual channel. That means dimms in slot
1 and slot 3 of your memory bank or memory in slots 1 through 4.

I don't know anything about AMD processor's but why would you have a mobo
that's not capable of running your CPU at it's maximum speed, presently you
have it under clocked.

Dashi

Old January 1st 04, 10:48 PM
Alan White

On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 14:22:22 -0800, "Dashi" wrote:

I don't know anything about AMD processor's but why would you have a mobo
that's not capable of running your CPU at it's maximum speed, presently you
have it under clocked.

AMD CPUs do run slower than the type number would suggest. The XP
2400+ should run at 2000 with an FSB of 266.

--
Alan White
Twenty-eight miles NW of Glasgow.