Restoring an Old Spam Can -- To Strip or Not to Strip

Old July 18th 04, 01:59 PM
bryan chaisone

Thanks Craig, thanks a lot. Another dream shot down. LOL. These
car-painting facilities are doing it with EPA's approval. They are a
dime a dozen. I'm sure things can be worked out. I am thinking that,
as Pete have said above; the preparation for airplane is different.
Structural integrity has to be maintained. There is also the weight
issue with airplanes. Other than those two, they should be the same.
A lot less body filler? A lot less paint build-up? Approval by local
and federal authorities and facility owner that you are renting from?
What else am I missing? The prep area and the paint booth need to be
a lot bigger? Might even paint motor homes, trucks and cars on the
side too?

I have the dream, the will power, and the love of aviation. That last
one is what will make this an enjoyable career. I believe that you
will be happier and live longer if you do what you love. Now all I
need is start up money.

Craig, I have read many of your posts, I respect your opinions. How
can I make this happen? Hoe can I make this dream come true?

Anyone have a suggestion?

Bryan "The Monk" Chaisone

(Craig) wrote in message om...
(bryan chaisone) wrote in message . com...

Just trying to see if I might get into this business. Always wanted
to be in the aviation business. Thought painting might be the one w/
the least liability.

Least liability???? You have to be joking....Not only do you have to
deal with the FAA, but also the EPA and any local EPA type agency. For
a decent sized facility, you will be pushing a half million bucks in
the facility and the vapor recover system as well as the wastewater
trap and treatment system and HAZMAT control before you spray the
first drop of paint. Pretty much gone are the days of renting a large
hangar and setting up shop on the cheap.

At $6K for stripping and painting a 152, it will take a heck of a lot
of paint jobs to cover the monthly cost on a facility.

Craig C.

Old July 18th 04, 02:02 PM
bryan chaisone

"Pete Schaefer" wrote in message news:zObKc.97088$JR4.65570@attbi_s54...
They did him the added favor of making all the rivet heads flush.
Complete disaster.

Love that one, LOL. That didn't really happen did it? Ha, ha, ha.

Bryan "The Monk" Chaisone
Old July 18th 04, 05:50 PM
Pete Schaefer

Yeah, unfortunately, it did. It was a I didn't hear the resolution on the
case, but they were talking about scrapping the airplane. It was looking
like the airplane needed to be completely reskinned. At least it wasn't
something cool. It was some single-engine Piper something or other with
retractable gear.

om...

Old July 18th 04, 05:53 PM
Pete Schaefer

I think he's referring to issues of legal liability for customer's aircraft.
Yeah, there are a ton of regs you have to deal with (especially here in
California), but I'd think the liability exposure would be relatively low.
Just guessing, though. Have to talk to an insurance company about this to
be sure.

"Craig" wrote in message
m...
Least liability???? You have to be joking....Not only do you have to

Old July 18th 04, 09:14 PM
Matt Whiting

bryan chaisone wrote:

[...]

Might want to start out working for an established paint shop to learn
the ropes before venturing out on your own. This experience also will
likely give you a lot more credibility when applying for business loans.

Matt

Old July 18th 04, 10:21 PM
Blueskies

I saw a GIV at Duncan where someone had sanded the rivets off. The pilot didn't know until they were taxiing out and the
fuse was being pressurized; one of the windows popped out...

--
Dan D.
http://www.ameritech.net/users/ddevillers/start.html

..