Flexible air intake hose

Old July 16th 06, 08:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
abripl[_1_]

Default Flexible air intake hose

I am using 3.5" dia Aeroduct-CAT ducting for a short distance directly
from my intake plenum under my fuselage to the carburetor. The problem
with the CAT is that the wire reinforcing and fabric do not give
radially well, so it transmits some engine vibration to the fuselage.

I would like to find some very flexible ducting (3.5 " bore). I noticed
some of the production built flexible rubber ducting in my car from air
filter to the fuel control(?). I was looking at my 2.5" rubber hose
that ducts the exhaust fumes out of the garage but it is really bulky
and not easy to apply a clamp to.

Anybody has specific product and sources suggestions?

Old July 16th 06, 09:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
abripl[_1_]

Thanks, but that stuff is only flexible for shaping and not rotational
vibration.
Most of those "flexible" ducts have wire reinforcing helix which
resists rotational
motion along the axis of the duct.

Morgans wrote:
Look in the home improvement area of a big box hardware and lumber store.
Flexible clothes dryer duct is available in a aluminized plastic that is
rated for the heat of a gas dryer outlet, so it should stand up to the
environment, if it does not get too too hot.
--
Jim in NC

Old July 16th 06, 10:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_3_]

"abripl" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks, but that stuff is only flexible for shaping and not rotational
vibration.
Most of those "flexible" ducts have wire reinforcing helix which
resists rotational
motion along the axis of the duct.

I must not fully understand how it is going to be used. How many degrees of
rotation are you thinking it will have to put up with?
--
Jim in NC

Old July 17th 06, 01:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
abripl[_1_]

Take a garden hose and put it between your two hands in a straight
line. If you just bend the center line it it will give easy. But if you
try keep the center line straight and rotate one hand one way and the
other other way it will resist. A very soft rubber hose might give in
such rotation but not a stiff one. In the same way most of the
"flexible" ducts do not really give in such "shear" rotation and are
"stiff" - especially if they have a wire helix coil inside. My engine
setup is exactly such that the yield needed is in "shear" along the
center line for a short piece of ducting.

Old July 17th 06, 04:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_3_]

"abripl" wrote
My engine
setup is exactly such that the yield needed is in "shear" along the
center line for a short piece of ducting.

I don't understand how you would develop any rotation, except for the
flexibility than your rubber engine mounts. how many degrees of rotation is
needed?
--
Jim in NC

Old July 17th 06, 06:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
abripl[_1_]

Morgans wrote:
"abripl" wrote

I don't understand how you would develop any rotation, except for the
flexibility than your rubber engine mounts.

Yes. But thats enough to transmitt vibration. If you noticed, many car
manufacturers use flexible rubber intake hose from air cleaner to
to the fuel control unit.

how many degrees of rotation is needed?

The one I described to start with.

--
Jim in NC

Old July 17th 06, 07:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
John Kunkel

"abripl" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am using 3.5" dia Aeroduct-CAT ducting for a short distance directly
from my intake plenum under my fuselage to the carburetor. The problem
with the CAT is that the wire reinforcing and fabric do not give
radially well, so it transmits some engine vibration to the fuselage.

I would like to find some very flexible ducting (3.5 " bore). I noticed
some of the production built flexible rubber ducting in my car from air
filter to the fuel control(?). I was looking at my 2.5" rubber hose
that ducts the exhaust fumes out of the garage but it is really bulky
and not easy to apply a clamp to.

Anybody has specific product and sources suggestions?

Sounds like a job for silicone, do a google search using "3.5 inch silicone
hose".

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=...oogle&ct=title

Old July 19th 06, 07:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

"abripl" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am using 3.5" dia Aeroduct-CAT ducting for a short distance directly
from my intake plenum under my fuselage to the carburetor. The problem
with the CAT is that the wire reinforcing and fabric do not give
radially well, so it transmits some engine vibration to the fuselage.

I would like to find some very flexible ducting (3.5 " bore). I noticed
some of the production built flexible rubber ducting in my car from air
filter to the fuel control(?). I was looking at my 2.5" rubber hose
that ducts the exhaust fumes out of the garage but it is really bulky
and not easy to apply a clamp to.

Anybody has specific product and sources suggestions?

One could, of course, construct one's own duct, eh?

Silicon caulk, fiberglass cloth, make a form and you are good to go.

Note: you said "short distance" - for "long" distances, without some form of
reinforcement the duct could collaps from the pressure difference (I've seen
it happen). You could use loops of wire in place of teh continuous coil.

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com