Biplanes and Triplanes were the best !

Old January 21st 04, 09:31 PM
Howard Berkowitz

In article , "Mike Bandor"
wrote:

"Dave Holford" wrote in message

It was only a few years ago that concerted efforts failed to destroy a
large ballon which managed to drift clear across the Atlantic despite
numerous holes being shot in it. I wonder if they really are all that
vulnerable?

Dave

They've changed the aerostats so they now have burn wires built into the
main gas bag. If one escapes, rather than scrambling a plane they just
press a button and it quarters the main gas bag. No more chasing it
across
the gulf or countryside.

I wouldn't call it a military lighter-than-air vehicle, but I was
sufficiently shocked and awed while trying to get my rental car back to
the Colorado Springs airport, in the midst of a ballooning festival.
There is something especially surreal about having a 110-foot tall
Energizer Bunny fload gracefully over the road.
Old January 22nd 04, 12:06 PM
Stephen Harding

Keith Willshaw wrote:

Airship Industries were trying to sell their products
for the AEW role. The platform was based on their
Sentinel 5000 product fitted with the radar system
from the E2-C Hawkeye .

http://www.aht.ndirect.co.uk/airships/Sentinel_5000/

Cool!

When I become incredibly, fabulously wealthy, I may opt
for a 6-8 passenger personal airship rather than attempt
to convert a Global Hawk as my private aircraft.

SMH

Old January 22nd 04, 05:32 PM
Ken Duffey

Stephen Harding wrote:

Keith Willshaw wrote:

Airship Industries were trying to sell their products
for the AEW role. The platform was based on their
Sentinel 5000 product fitted with the radar system
from the E2-C Hawkeye .

http://www.aht.ndirect.co.uk/airships/Sentinel_5000/

Cool!

When I become incredibly, fabulously wealthy, I may opt
for a 6-8 passenger personal airship rather than attempt
to convert a Global Hawk as my private aircraft.

SMH

I have come into this thread late ............

Has anyone mentioned why they are called blimps????

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++
Ken Duffey - Flanker Freak & Russian Aviation Enthusiast
Flankers Website - http://www.flankers.co.uk/
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++

Old January 22nd 04, 07:23 PM
Andrew Chaplin

"B2431" wrote in message

The two most popular theories a

1) some British officer thumped one and the sound returned was

"blimp."

2) one of the early designations was "balloon, class B, limp"

which was
shortened to blimp in conversation.

An interesting aside is the term "dirigible" which some people use to
differentiate between blimps and rigid airships. The term "dirigible"

is from
Latin which means give direction to. In other words it's steerable

which both
blimps and rigid airships are.

From the OED:
blimp, n. [Of uncertain origin. Said to have been coined by the aviator
Horace Shortt (see quot. 1918) or by Lieut. A. D. Cunningham (1951
Aeroplane 5 Oct.), and to have been based on the adj. LIMP.]

1. A small non-rigid airship orig. consisting of a gas-bag with the
fuselage of an aeroplane slung underneath; in the war of 1939-45 the name
was sometimes applied to a barrage balloon.

1916 ROSHER In R.N.A.S. 11 Feb. 146 Visited the Blimps..this afternoon at
Capel. 1918 Illustr. Lond. News 27 July 96 Nobody in the R.N.A.S. ever
called them anything but 'Blimps', an onomatopic name invented by that
genius for apposite nomenclature, the late Horace Shortt. 1926 J. R. R.
TOLKIEN in Year's Wk. Eng. Stud. 1924 52 It is perhaps more in accordance
with their looks, history, and the way in which words are built out of
the suggestions of others in the mind, if we guess that blimp was the
progeny of blister + lump, and that the vowel i not u was chosen because
of its diminutive significancetypical of war-humour. 1928 GAMBLE North
Sea Air Station x. 149 The Submarine Scout non-rigid type. The name was
abbreviated to S.S. airships, but they were generally known as 'Blimps'.
1934 Discovery Jan. 14/2 Excellent photographs..could probably be secured
next summer from a small 'blimp' carrying a pilot and a photographer and
directed by wireless telephony. 1939 War Illustr. 29 Dec. 538/1 The term
'blimp' originated in the last war, when British lighter-than-air
aircraft were divided into A-rigid, and B-limp (i.e. without rigid
internal framework). The modern barrage balloon may therefore be classed
as a blimp. 1940 HARRISSON & MADGE War begins at Home v. 125 The
[barrage] balloons, so suitably called blimps, became a major symbol in
the first three months of the war.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO

Old January 23rd 04, 05:57 AM
Eric Moore

Airships have also been used for testing Hyperspectral Imaging systems. See:

http://www.airship.flyer.co.uk/NewsA...ews19dec02.htm