2005 SSA Handicaps Posted

Old April 19th 05, 05:18 AM
Ted Wagner

The whole handicap thing remains a mystery to this racing sophomore. If I
had to fly my glider in soft conditions I would feel more advantaged, with
low sink rates and good L/D below 65 knots (but not the advertised 44:1,
which is a joke). When the conditions get strong (I fly in Arizona), my
competitors disappear into the horizon when I find myself having to find my
next thermal. Often this means they get to the next thermal and I don't. So
a glider's handicap seems to have quite a different affect in different
parts of the country!

-ted/2NO

"Ken Kochanski (KK)" wrote in message
oups.com...

http://sailplane-racing.org/rules.htm

Ken Kochanski
SRA Secretary

Old April 19th 05, 06:05 AM
Eric Greenwell

Ted Wagner wrote:
The whole handicap thing remains a mystery to this racing sophomore. If I
had to fly my glider in soft conditions I would feel more advantaged, with
low sink rates and good L/D below 65 knots (but not the advertised 44:1,
which is a joke). When the conditions get strong (I fly in Arizona), my
competitors disappear into the horizon when I find myself having to find my
next thermal. Often this means they get to the next thermal and I don't. So
a glider's handicap seems to have quite a different affect in different
parts of the country!

I think when you have more experience, you'll the 304 is good machine
for the Sports Class, even it it's only 40:1.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old April 19th 05, 06:45 AM
hannu

"Ted Wagner" wrote in message
news:1113884285.a78fd29b709c0208118e60bfb2ea8e41@t eranews...
The whole handicap thing remains a mystery to this racing sophomore. If I
had to fly my glider in soft conditions I would feel more advantaged, with
low sink rates and good L/D below 65 knots (but not the advertised 44:1,
which is a joke). When the conditions get strong (I fly in Arizona), my
competitors disappear into the horizon when I find myself having to find

my
next thermal. Often this means they get to the next thermal and I don't.

So
a glider's handicap seems to have quite a different affect in different
parts of the country!

It's a impossible task to make ONE coefficient to correct the
multi-dimensional problem field...

There are many scenarios that make unfair compensation:

1. Too long glide (for more-handicapped glider), I go to a field, others get
average speed
2. (Mr. Cochrane With lesser performance, I have to use weaker lifts, less
average speed as compared to flying the same McCready performance ratio
3. If clearly less performance, others fly together, me alone - almost fatal
in blue days and severely affects also in others.

To compensate the unfairness:

4. Rain wall, tough upper cloud or equivalent on the task: I win, because
everybody stops on the (almost) same spot.

Hmmm.. probablility: (1..3)/4 is approximately 25:1 (subjective guess)

I am accustomed to German handicap system (flying mostly 0.96 against
1.04-1.08) and admittedly being less of a pilot as well, I still feel
squaring the handicaps might make it even a bit closer (doesn't help 1.,
though)

2, and especially 3 are prevalent in most of the days

This evaluation is based both flying in (last 5 years) and scoring the
gliding competitions (last 10 years). Maybe the handicap system works better
when each pilot flies alone.

regards, hannu

Old April 19th 05, 11:44 AM
Ken Kochanski (KK)

Anybody want to write a dynamic handicapping system ... something that
would take all the flight logs from a contest to analyze task length,
thermal strength, height and working band, spacing, wind strength (all
by time of day) ... and come up with a 'fair' handicap for the day.

KK

Old April 19th 05, 11:47 AM
Marcel Duenner

"hannu" wrote in message ...
..
..
1. Too long glide (for more-handicapped glider), I go to a field,
others get
average speed
2. (Mr. Cochrane With lesser performance, I have to use weaker
lifts, less
average speed as compared to flying the same McCready performance
ratio
3. If clearly less performance, others fly together, me alone - almost
fatal
in blue days and severely affects also in others.

To compensate the unfairness:

4. Rain wall, tough upper cloud or equivalent on the task: I win,
because
everybody stops on the (almost) same spot.
This evaluation is based both flying in (last 5 years) and scoring the
gliding competitions (last 10 years). Maybe the handicap system works better
when each pilot flies alone.

That is exactly what the handicap factors are based on: It takes in to
account the performance of the glider type, flown alone, in
homogeneous weather. Your 1.-4. simply can't be compensated
mathematically.

regards
Marcel
Old April 19th 05, 02:22 PM

Ken Kochanski (KK) wrote:
Anybody want to write a dynamic handicapping system ... something

that
would take all the flight logs from a contest to analyze task length,
thermal strength, height and working band, spacing, wind strength

(all
by time of day) ... and come up with a 'fair' handicap for the day.

KK

The Soaring Society of South Africa has come up with a dynamic handicap
system. It is based on three senarios - weak, intermediate and strong.
The senario applied will be based on the top speeds of the day. The
whole system is normalised to the ASW 20. An example of how it works is
that an ASW 17 will fly off a handicap of 109% to the ASW 20 on a weak
day but only 102% on a strong day. An ASW 27 will fly of a 106%
handicap to the ASW 20 on a weak day but 113% on a strong day. The
system is still very new but has been used in the last Nationals and at
the Gauteng Regionals and will be used at the North West Regionals at
the end of this month. More details can be found on the SSSA website
(sssa.org.za)

Clinton
Lak 12

Old April 19th 05, 07:49 PM
CV

Steve Leonard wrote:
Mark,

As one qutoe says, "There is No Substitute for Span." Then, some Bird
came along and said "There is a Substitute for span. It is called
Talent. But you can buy Span!"

That reasoning seems to presuppose you can only have one or the other.

What's to say you can't have both ?

Cheers CV
Old April 19th 05, 10:16 PM

40:1 if I'm lucky, and freshly cleaned and waxed ... DJ couldn't get
better than 38:1 in his flight test, and that was at 50 knots, not 60.

I love my 304CZ, it's the perfect ship for a newer pilot who enjoys
both recreational and contest x/c, but when the CD calls a 250 mile AST
on a strong summer day, I'm in trouble if I can't start 20 minutes
before all Venti, LS-8s and ASW-27s I fly against start ...

-ted/2NO

Old April 20th 05, 01:14 AM
M B

Thanks for the interesting replies.

It was interesting to hear that yes, gound assembly
and
handling was a consideration. It seems that the convenience
of self-launch, or assembly, etc. do have a notable

effect on choices in gliders. Cost is just another
factor
that is put in with these factors.

I also thought I saw a 750kg limit total for contests.
Is this right in the U.S.? I guess that would be a
bit
of an arbitrary disincentive for more span too

At 23:00 18 April 2005, Steve Leonard wrote:
Mark,

As one qutoe says, 'There is No Substitute for Span.'
Then, some Bird
came along and said 'There is a Substitute for span.
It is called
Talent. But you can buy Span!'

Handling qualities are relative. If you are looking
for a ship to do
acro in, I would not recommend an ASH-25. Of the big
ships I am aware
of, the handling is not bad. Just slower in roll.
Forces are still
generally light. And they take more work to fly well
in circles. But
as some pilot here in the US said when someone complained
about how the
Ventus requires lots of effort to fly, 'A REAL pilot
does not have any
trouble flying a Ventus.'

Ground rigging is probably the biggest reason for people
not liking to
deal with the open class ships. Face it. Most have
six pieces of wing
to attach. No matter how bad your two piece wing might
be, it will
probably take less time to assemble than a six piece
wing. Runway
width can be an issue, as we generaly will hang out
near or over lights
on both sides of the runway. Know your airplane and
you can offset one
way then lower the other wing.

As for performance, I personally think they have gotten
too big. Look
at the Schleicher site on the ASH-25. Partly marketing,
but they make
the comment that higher minimum wing loadings do not
seem to hurt the
open class gliders. And with a 750 KG weight limit
for contests, the
current open class ships are stuck at under 9.5 psf.
The Nimbus 4 is
about 8.7. Read what others have written, and almost
all of them want
more weight.

I came up with the idea that best L/D can be approximated
by Span in
Meters plus Aspect Ratio. This generally gets you
within about 10%,
except on the new 15 meter class ships, where it falls
a bit short of
the claims by the factories. If the span was cut back
to, say 22
meters, and the aspect ratio run up to about 40 (heck,
Eta is 51,and
the long tipped 25's are pushing if not above 40, but
with 26 plus
meters of span), that puts the area at about 130 square
feet. Chords
would be similar to an ASW-27, but over longer sections
between the
taper breaks.

Now, if my ultra preliminary estimation for performance
holds true, you
would have about the same best L/D (22 + 40 = 62) as
a N4, but you
could ballast up to about 12.8 psf at 750 KG. Wouldn't
that make for a
rocketship! And if you could keep the minimum wingloading
to about
8.5, this leave about 900 lbs for the empty weight
(200 lb pilot).
Seems doable to me at a first glance.

Of course, this view is US Based. In Europe, there
doesn't seem to be
the desire for the ultra-high wing loading. And do
you think any
manufacturer would put out a smaller Unlimted Class
ship than what they
have now? Not bloody likely.

So, is 24 meters too much? Maybe, for the US and the
weight
restriction. You might do better with less. I see
lots of pictures
of German registered ASH-25s that have been stretched,
some to as much
as 27 meters. So, I am suspecting that L/D max is
more important than
the ultra high speed cruising in Europe. That, and
the crossover for
the longer wings is above the often used cruising speeds.

And just to confuse things, I have a 604 that I am
looking to stretch
from 22 to 24 meters. Being in the more sedate, flat
lands, I am
looking for more low end performance, and hoping the
cross-over will be
above my typical crusie speeds.

But, if you know of anyone willing to part with an
ASH-26 fuselage, I
could get started on a set of thin, 22 meter wings
to try and prove my
point... Could be intersting to plan a 40:1 final
glide at 115 knots,
no wind.

Steve Leonard

Mark J. Boyd

Old April 20th 05, 01:55 AM
Tim Ward

"CV" wrote in message
Steve Leonard wrote:
Mark,

As one qutoe says, "There is No Substitute for Span." Then, some Bird
came along and said "There is a Substitute for span. It is called
Talent. But you can buy Span!"

That reasoning seems to presuppose you can only have one or the other.

What's to say you can't have both ?

Cheers CV

Well, in that case you don't need a substitute.

Tim Ward