spins from coordinated flight

Old December 29th 07, 12:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Default spins from coordinated flight

Dudley Henriques wrote in
:

I'm sure you will.
Generally for practice anyway, you can pick a long road or anything
straight in front of you extending a bit into the distance. Do the

roll
as a slow roll but do it fast. The visuals are easy really in this
scenario. Use the left tip and form a 45 with about a 4g pull and set

the angle formed by the wing and the horizon. It isn't nearly as
accurate as a metal or FG tip cross attachment but close enough for
government work.
Do the roll quickly holding in some excessive forward pressure past
knife and on into inverted. The Citabria will have a seemingly VERY

high
inverted nose attitude at the inverted 45 due to the flat wing and

angle
of attack needed to keep the airplane stable on the 45 inverted up

line.
As you go past knife edge switch the visual cue directly over the nose
and pick up the extended reference and adjust if needed for the

vertical
maneuver line. Check the wingtip for the inverted 45 up line but be
aware that in the Citabria you probably won't have any excess inverted
up line time available before you relax the forward pressure and go
through the float at the top. You should be just above stall so don't
pull down, just relax the forward pressure and let the airplane float

on
through, then gently pull down as the airspeed starts to increase. Use
about a 4g maximum radial g pull on the back side.
When you can do this one well in the Citabria, you get the Gold Star

for
being able to fudge a 1/2 Reverse Cuban and make it look good in a
Citabria :-))

We'll see!
I could alwasy do them OK, just not as idily as I'd like to have. The
Decathlon was OK doing them, but I always felt blind rolling at that
angle with no central point, is what I was saying. Not worried about it,
though. I'm gonna save this post for when I get to that point though.

Thanks!

Bertie

Old December 29th 07, 01:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Dudley Henriques wrote in
:

[...]

I know what you are saying about losing the visual cue. Unless you are
concentrating heavily on exactly where and WHEN to reaquire the forward
cue you can easily mess it up. In the Citabria, you'll only get a second
or two to set up on the erect up line before you have to initiate the
roll, so you're looking at the tip as you make the initial pull. Do a
quick set then do the roll. During the roll, change to the forward cue,
pick up the road inverted, make a quick correction for heading if
needed, and by then the airplane will be in the float. The rest is
simple loop recovery.
I'm certain after you manage a few nailing the visual cues, you'll do fine.
Trust me. I'm not as good as Tucker, but our cat swears I'm a f*****g
genius :-))

--
Dudley Henriques