Best Option for Private Pilot to Multi Commercial Instrument Ratings

Old December 14th 04, 10:52 PM
Matt Whiting

Matt Barrow wrote:

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message

Red herring. The military has historically moved people from 0TT to jet

PIC

in less time than civilian or airline ab-initio programs. The example is

all

the more salient considering how picky they are about the students.

Yes, and the reason is that they get the fundamentals solid before
moving on. Many civilian instructors and flight schools move students
along too fast and this increases the total time in the end.

Really? I'd say they move along at a snails pace. How many students take
50-60 hours to get their private certificate and take a year to get those
50-60 hours? In the military it's non-stop, every day learning.

You are confusing speed with time. Moving fast matters not a whit if
you are going in circles. As I said, the total time is longer in the
end if you move too fast initially and don't get the basics down.

Matt

Old December 15th 04, 12:14 AM
Michael

I meant entry-level twin (C-310/Aztec/Baron and down) rather than the
421. The 421 is something you can't realistically train in (you will
destroy the engines) and nobody will insure you in that unless you go
to FlightSafety or equivalent anyway. I doubt the OP was planning to
train in the 421.

Just FYI, the Baron is slightly faster than a Twinkie and carries
significantly more, but it is MUCH easier to insure. The insurance
companies know the truth - it's much easier to fly.

Michael

Old December 16th 04, 02:20 AM
Hudson Valley Amusement

I doubt the OP was planning to
train in the 421

I am the OP and no I don't plan on training in the 421 but rather in a
Seminole. I am leaning toward going to ATP or Ari - Ben for the accelerated
school. In both programs you get your Multi first and then do all subsequent
training in the Multi (instrument and commercial). When I graduate from those
programs, I will have 175-200 hrs of multi time which will be necessary for
insurance purposes in the 421. I do plan to fly a 421 in the future and after
I get about 250 hrs of Multi time I can then go to FlightSafety for my 421
training to keep the insurance co happy.

I should also state that I have about 15 hrs of instrument instruction already
in a c172.

The traditional route of getting instrument then commercial in a single then
getting multi would be less expensive initially, but considering that i need
about 250 hrs of multi time to be insurable in the 421 I would then have to
build multi time somehow and that won't be cheap.

It just seems that doing all the training in the multi makes more sense. Plus
it is intensive training, 3-5 hrs every day, so the learning curve should be
quicker. I understand the point that I want to get the basics down so I don't
fall behind.

Old December 16th 04, 04:13 PM
Michael

I am the OP and no I don't plan on training in the 421 but rather in a
Seminole. I am leaning toward going to ATP or Ari - Ben for the

accelerated
school. In both programs you get your Multi first and then do all

subsequent
training in the Multi (instrument and commercial). When I graduate

from those
programs, I will have 175-200 hrs of multi time which will be

necessary for
insurance purposes in the 421. I do plan to fly a 421 in the future

and after
I get about 250 hrs of Multi time I can then go to FlightSafety for my

421
training to keep the insurance co happy.

That all sounds very sensible. You're right - nobody is going to
insure you in a 421 with 20 hours of multi time. I'm not sure you need
250, but you will certainly need 100 or more. I'm not familiar with
the Ari-Ben program, but quite a few people I know did ATP, including
some of my instructors. I've also taken a few checkrides with the
examiner who did the ATP rides locally. I know a reasonable amount
about the program, and it is much as you describe it.

You should realize that a huge chunk of that multi time you are going
to log will be safety pilot time - all your XC flying will be either as
safety pilot who also handles radios and maps or as hooded pilot who
only flies. The Seminoles are incredibly docile (think Arrrow with two
engines) and are equipped with dual 430's. In other words, don't be
concerned about being overloaded - that won't be your problem. Your
real problem will be the transition into the 421. I would recommend
that you get some experience in a rental C-310 first.

Michael

Old December 17th 04, 09:25 PM
Hudson Valley Amusement

Micheal -

Thanks for your insight on my idea. I do know about the safety pilot/hooded
pilot way that ATP does it. I agree that the transition from seminole to 421
will be a big change, but I will also have an oportunity to fly right seat in
the 421 to get some experience before I even go to flight safety or similar.

Regarding the 310, I do have a few hours right seat in that as well and I like
your idea of using it as a stepping stone b/t the seminole and the 421.

Thanks again!