A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Cheaper tows?

Old October 18th 18, 04:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]
external usenet poster

Default Cheaper tows?

Fred Drift:
I've towed behind a 400HP Brave, and don't recall the owner claiming it being inexpensive to operate. How does the FU-24 with IO-720 provide cheaper tows?
Chevy LS series crate engines ~400HP are 7 to 8000 dollars. How does that compare to IO-720 top and major overhauls?
Jim
Old October 18th 18, 08:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_3_]
external usenet poster

Default Cheaper tows?

On Thursday, October 18, 2018 at 8:05:44 AM UTC-7, JS wrote:
Fred Drift:
I've towed behind a 400HP Brave, and don't recall the owner claiming it being inexpensive to operate. How does the FU-24 with IO-720 provide cheaper tows?
Chevy LS series crate engines ~400HP are 7 to 8000 dollars. How does that compare to IO-720 top and major overhauls?
Jim

There's a popular and successful LS conversion for the Repbublic Seabee. It's also offered for other aircraft. Some versions can accommodate a reversing prop. Drop the glider and put the prop in beta to descend. Yee ha!

Here's their take on operating costs for the various engine types (including aircraft engines).

https://www.v8seabee.com/conversion-...ing-costs.html

Craig
Old October 19th 18, 01:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult
external usenet poster

Default Cheaper tows?

On Thursday, October 18, 2018 at 7:44:18 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Wednesday, October 17, 2018 at 3:52:56 PM UTC-5, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
Wrong?

Answer this, did you/others run small engines for close to 2000hrs at full throttle with no rebuilds?
Frankly, not likely.

While most IC aircraft engines are archaic, they spend most time at close to full power for close to 2000 hours.

Herb, while I know you (and you know me, but maybe not remember me), I have to say most automotive engines trying to do what a "lump of an archaic engine" is normally used in US GA gas piston engines,

Rough guess........would you run a car engine at full power for 2000hrs? Quick numbers, 45MPH for 2000 hours, say about 90,000 miles.
Me, no Frikkin way.
You, I have no clue, go for it, not my wallet.

Herb, go rush against other issues, I think you lose on this one.......OK?

Can't wait to see you cruising, descending and landing for 2,000 h on full power, Charlie. All engines have significant partial power time. I'm just fighting that old myth about GA aircraft engines (the dinosaurs of American technology) being "made" for constant max power.

Not max, but 75%.

Tons of people are cruising around with 200 to 300 HP engines in their cars.. They occasionally use full power for five to ten seconds and then cruise along using something like 15 to 20 HP continuous.
Old October 20th 18, 03:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]
external usenet poster

Default Cheaper tows?

Back in the early 2000's Parowan had a 600 HP BiPlane Ag wagon. I took a few tows in my 1958 KA6CR with that thing. Wild man JC Hutchcorne would get me to Pattern altitude before the first taxiway and often at 2000' by the end of the airstrip with a little wind. Probably burned fuel like crazy but the time under full power was very short. It seemed the tow angle was about 30 degrees, up.

Old October 20th 18, 02:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler
external usenet poster

Default Cheaper tows?

On Friday, October 19, 2018 at 10:58:33 PM UTC-4, Nick Kennedy wrote:
Back in the early 2000's Parowan had a 600 HP BiPlane Ag wagon.

Yup, those things were amazing.
IIRC there were 2 radial-powered Eagles there when I first visited Parawon in ~97.
Towed behind it in the whale!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eagle_Aircraft_Eagle
Old October 20th 18, 02:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Cheaper tows?

Bob Carlton once towed his Salto (before he put the jet engine on it) behind Dr. Ray Vetsch's "Turbo Shark," running a Walter M601T 780 HP turbine. Climb to 6,500 AGL release altitude was about 65 seconds and they were running at the Salto's redline speed (155 knots). After twanging the release, Bob gained another 800 feet.

http://turbo-shark.com/Plane.aspx
Old October 20th 18, 04:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]
external usenet poster

Default Cheaper tows?

Yup, the Eagle that's what it was.
J.C. crashed it along with just about everything else he flew there during his short time in a partnership with Dave Norwood. J.C. was a wild man Hang glider pilot from Canada as I recall. I met and flew with him in the Canadian HG Nationals in Faulklin BC.
Old October 20th 18, 05:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Default Cheaper tows?

That was a Grumman Ag-Cat, probably built by Schweizer, not an Ag
Wagon.Â* I towed behind it at Parowan during our first soaring safari
with my partner in our LS-6a.Â* This was before we started doing safaris
with a 1,000' rope and my truck or his car.Â* I also towed behind their
Eagle DW.1 biplane.Â* It had long, slender, tapered wings.Â* Reminded me
of a Discus.

On 10/19/2018 8:58 PM, Nick Kennedy wrote:
Back in the early 2000's Parowan had a 600 HP BiPlane Ag wagon. I took a few tows in my 1958 KA6CR with that thing. Wild man JC Hutchcorne would get me to Pattern altitude before the first taxiway and often at 2000' by the end of the airstrip with a little wind. Probably burned fuel like crazy but the time under full power was very short. It seemed the tow angle was about 30 degrees, up.

--
Dan, 5J
Old October 20th 18, 07:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Cheaper tows?

A little thread drift here.....I flew the factory demonstrator Eagle (300hp Lycoming) back in 1980 for one little flight. While I can't attest to it's towing capabilities, I remember it was unique in that it had the long, skinny wings, and spoilers on the top of the bottom wings. Each spoiler had it's individual lever, or you could move them together. Individually, each one would help roll into a turn a bit faster, and together they would help the slightest bit if coming in over a power line. I don't recall them being particularly effective as far as being able to come down any faster from a tow, but then I was flying in the ag pilot mode, not tow pilot. I do remember it feeling like flying a big box kite.

Towing behind a turbine would be like a cat shot. Probably the same angle, but LOTS faster than a winch!
Old October 20th 18, 10:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS
external usenet poster

Default Cheaper tows?

Towing behind a turbine would be like a cat shot.
Maybe...

Probably the same angle, but LOTS faster than a winch!

Doubtful... One can easily climb at 3-4,000fpm in a winch launch. Can that tug do that even w/o a glider attached to it?

Uli
'AS'