Commercial Pilot Glider license in EU

Old May 21st 04, 04:40 AM
Arnie

Default Commercial Pilot Glider license in EU

Is there a Commercial Pilots License-Glider in EU ?

I looked around in the CAA, JAA and EASA websites, but could't really find
this information.

In some coutries a CFIG (Instructor's) license gives you the right to work
and get paid as an instructor, even though you may not have a Commercial
Pilot's license.
In other countries, the CP is a pre-requisite for a CFIG, which is the case
in the US, for instance.
I'd like to know how it is in EU.

Old May 21st 04, 09:38 AM
A P

I can only speak for the UK, but here there is no such thing as a Commercial
License for gliders, if you have an instructors rating and can find someone
willing to pay you, then go for it. That said there are very few paid
instructors here (other than full time CFI's and not every club has someone
there full time).

Blue Skies

A P

. com...

Old May 21st 04, 11:24 AM
Guillaume F.

As far as I know, in France, you only need a "classe 1" medical certificate,
that allows you to be paid for flying.
Otherwise with a "classe 2" you'll be limited to "private pilot" activities.

Guillaume F.

Old May 21st 04, 12:44 PM
Stefan

Arnie wrote:
Is there a Commercial Pilots License-Glider in EU ?

I looked around in the CAA, JAA and EASA websites, but could't really find
this information.

You didn't find information because glider ratings are not part of the
JARs but are regulated differently by each country.

I only can tell how it's handled in Switzerland. There is no such thing
as a commercial glider license in Switzerland. There is a "PAX-rating"
which allows you to take passengers. (Requires 30 hours after the
license and a check ride. No passengers allowed without this rating.) An
instructor rating, you guessed it, is needed to instruct students.

Whether you may get paid or not is not part of the regulations. This is
a gray area in Switzerland anyway, as any private pilot (with or without
noise) is allowed to take passengers who pay their share of the
expenses. (And "their share" can even be 100%, the pilot just
contributing his time.) Here, commercial means just that: Commercial.
For gliders, there are no regulations at all. But as there is no
commercial glider license, it's assumed that any glider pilot may get paid.

Stefan

Self fly hire in the US Nigel Piloting 25 March 28th 04 09:20 AM
Bad publicity David Starer Soaring 18 March 8th 04 03:57 PM
Toronto Area Glider Pilot Ground School Starts Thu. March 25, 2004 Ulf Soaring 0 March 3rd 04 05:02 PM
Musings of a Commercial Helicopter Pilot Badwater Bill Home Built 6 February 27th 04 09:11 AM