A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Oudie 2's needed

Old December 11th 18, 05:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Oudie 2's needed

The Soaring Club of Houston is starting a Soaring Development & Coaching program next month and we are outfitting 2 of the club 2 seaters with Oudie 2's for coaching.

Please let me know if you have one (or more) that you would be willing to sell or graciously donate.

Thanks,
Tony Smolder
SCOH Coach
Old December 11th 18, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MNLou
external usenet poster

Default Oudie 2's needed

Great idea Tony! Good luck with the new program!

Looks like the "hired" a great coach!

Lou
Old December 17th 18, 03:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Oudie 2's needed

Tony,

You might consider training beginner xc pilots using devices that run Top Hat or XC Soar. It lowers the barrier to entry when they use their own personal devices when flying a single-place ship.

Sandhill Soaring Club purchased a DG-505 to do exactly what you're doing and this is the route were looking at going. We may install the Nook or some other Android tablet. We're also using the Nano3 as an inexpensive datalogger for silver and gold badge work.

Best of luck with the new program. Let's compare notes at the end of the season.

- Chris Schrader
Old December 17th 18, 04:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wyll Surf Air
external usenet poster

Default Oudie 2's needed

Yes this is what I would suggest. As a new XC pilot using XCsoar originally, and now Top Hat now, I think it is the best way to start using a moving map glide computer. Because I was initially able to bring my phone home and mess with XCSoar while not in the glider (or even at the airport) it made learning how to read and use a moving map/glide computer much much easier. An older Samsung phone (galaxy 5,6,7,8,9 or Note 4,5,6,7,8,9) work great and are pretty cheep if you don't have one laying around already. The only thing I would say is that have someone experienced with XCSoar or TopHat configure them because the stock layout and settings are less then optimal.
Old December 17th 18, 08:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MNLou
external usenet poster

Default Oudie 2's needed

I immediately removed the old PDA from my first glider in 2012, bought an Oudie 2 running SYM, and never looked back.

I don't want to start a "what is the best software / hardware" war but, if someone is trying to standardize across a club, I would argue the Oudie is the only reasonable way to go.

When a promising new XC pilot asks me what flight computer to buy, I immediately tell them an Oudie IGC. Fully integrated flight computer, IGC logger, and long life battery. Plus, it plays nice with all the other glider goodies.

YMMV -

Lou
Old December 17th 18, 11:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark
external usenet poster

Default Oudie 2's needed

I have and love the Oudie IGC. However the price is too high for some people starting out on XC, and for them I recommend and demonstrate XC Soar on either phone or Kobo (I have it running on both). The club has one Oudie IGC to lend, and an Oudie 2 in the motor glider which we use for nav training. For next season we will have PowerMouse in all our club gliders so they will all have IGC loggers.

Whether Oudie or XC Soar, there is a substantial learning curve, and help with setup from an experienced user is invaluable.
Old December 18th 18, 04:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Oudie 2's needed

Appreciate the responses to this.

The coaches at SCOH all have and are familiar with the Oudie. It would be a learning experience to change, hence the request for low cost Oudie's for sale. We have acquired 2 thanks to a generous pilot so we are good for at least the short term.

I still agree with some others that the Oudie 2 it is a really good dedicated Nav.

Thanks,
Tony
Old December 18th 18, 06:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Oudie 2's needed

Correction: We're looking at the Kobo (not the Nook).

On Monday, December 17, 2018 at 9:29:04 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Tony,

You might consider training beginner xc pilots using devices that run Top Hat or XC Soar. It lowers the barrier to entry when they use their own personal devices when flying a single-place ship.

Sandhill Soaring Club purchased a DG-505 to do exactly what you're doing and this is the route were looking at going. We may install the Nook or some other Android tablet. We're also using the Nano3 as an inexpensive datalogger for silver and gold badge work.

Best of luck with the new program. Let's compare notes at the end of the season.

- Chris Schrader

Old December 18th 18, 07:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw
external usenet poster

Default Oudie 2's needed

On Tuesday, December 18, 2018 at 12:30:26 AM UTC+2, waremark wrote:
Whether Oudie or XC Soar, there is a substantial learning curve, and help with setup from an experienced user is invaluable.

With Oudie, it's mostly the setup of SYM, what you need and wan't to see. Too bad the default settings are extremely poor, and many pilots (with thousands of hours using multiple software and computers) simply don't alter the default settings. Then they complain about not being able to read the small fonts etc.

After using Oudie for almost 10 years I tried XCSoar and LK8000 for one summer because they are so "advanced". It was pure torture.
Old December 19th 18, 12:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Oudie 2's needed

On Monday, December 17, 2018 at 7:13:42 AM UTC-8, Wyll Surf Air wrote:
Yes this is what I would suggest. As a new XC pilot using XCsoar originally, and now Top Hat now, I think it is the best way to start using a moving map glide computer. Because I was initially able to bring my phone home and mess with XCSoar while not in the glider (or even at the airport) it made learning how to read and use a moving map/glide computer much much easier. An older Samsung phone (galaxy 5,6,7,8,9 or Note 4,5,6,7,8,9) work great and are pretty cheep if you don't have one laying around already. The only thing I would say is that have someone experienced with XCSoar or TopHat configure them because the stock layout and settings are less then optimal.

I would agree that the ability to learn how to use the flight computer is greatly enhanced at home, when you don't also have the burden of flying the ship. But with the Oudie, you don't have to take the Oudie home to do so. There is a good simulator available for Windows PCs. (I don't think it's available for MAC) You can bring your .igc file home, load it into the PC and fire up the Oudie Simulator. And if the student wants to play with the Oudie even before making their own flight, they can download an .igc file from the OLC for the area they expect to fly and practice on that one.

-Greg