Oudie 2's needed

Old December 19th 18, 12:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK

Default Oudie 2's needed

On Monday, December 17, 2018 at 11:43:02 AM UTC-8, MNLou wrote:
I immediately removed the old PDA from my first glider in 2012, bought an Oudie 2 running SYM, and never looked back.

I don't want to start a "what is the best software / hardware" war but, if someone is trying to standardize across a club, I would argue the Oudie is the only reasonable way to go.

When a promising new XC pilot asks me what flight computer to buy, I immediately tell them an Oudie IGC. Fully integrated flight computer, IGC logger, and long life battery. Plus, it plays nice with all the other glider goodies.

YMMV -

Lou

While Oudie is advertised as an out of the box turn key system...it is not.
One still needs to set up; home field, arrival or required altitude, glider polar, safety margins, airspace, etc, etc, etc,…
Downloading the XCSoar or TopHat ap into an Android phone, plus waypoints, terrain maps, etc, is no brain surgery (but one still has to go through what is required for Oudie above as well). There is usually at least one person in an average club who can guide one through these steps I would think, if not ask your teenage child.
The Android system is far more advanced than the old Windows the Oudie runs on, both the XCSoar and TopHat is far more intuitive and has better simulator too (it actually works), not to mention PRICE!
Old December 19th 18, 12:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 15:19:42 -0800, gschibler wrote:

On Monday, December 17, 2018 at 7:13:42 AM UTC-8, Wyll Surf Air wrote:
Yes this is what I would suggest. As a new XC pilot using XCsoar
originally, and now Top Hat now, I think it is the best way to start
using a moving map glide computer. Because I was initially able to
bring my phone home and mess with XCSoar while not in the glider (or
even at the airport) it made learning how to read and use a moving
map/glide computer much much easier. An older Samsung phone (galaxy
5,6,7,8,9 or Note 4,5,6,7,8,9) work great and are pretty cheep if you
don't have one laying around already. The only thing I would say is
that have someone experienced with XCSoar or TopHat configure them
because the stock layout and settings are less then optimal.

I would agree that the ability to learn how to use the flight computer
is greatly enhanced at home, when you don't also have the burden of
flying the ship. But with the Oudie, you don't have to take the Oudie
home to do so. There is a good simulator available for Windows PCs. (I
don't think it's available for MAC) You can bring your .igc file home,
load it into the PC and fire up the Oudie Simulator. And if the student
wants to play with the Oudie even before making their own flight, they
can download an .igc file from the OLC for the area they expect to fly
and practice on that one.

Same for the others: XCSoar and LK8000 both have versions that run under
Windows, downloadable from the same place as the versions you'll fly with
that run under Android and WinCE. You use Linux? SYM, XCSoar and LK8000
run OK under Wine (a Windows emulator for Linux) and IIRC both XCSoar and
LK8000 now have native Linux versions.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org
Old December 19th 18, 12:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The winner of the latest Australian Nationals in 18M and Open classes uses XCsoar, just saying.
Old December 19th 18, 01:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 15:41:44 -0800, tom.kerrie wrote:

The winner of the latest Australian Nationals in 18M and Open classes
uses XCsoar, just saying.

I used XCSoar from its Australian days until LK8000 came out. XCSoar was
good - I simply prefer the LK8000 screen display and that, it its a good
day and you complete your task, you won't have needed to do anything to
it during the flight: it zooms in progressively closer as you approach a
turnpoint and then zooms out to show the next leg as soon as you've got a
fix in the turn area. Its been a long time since I used XCSOar but IIRC
it has the same auto-zoom capability.

Can't comment about SYM or any of the others because I've never flown
with them.

Before I started using XCSoar I was using a Garmin GPS-2 connected to my
SDI C4 vario plus a paper map. The map showed where I must not go while
the GPS2 pointed at the next TP and showed cross-track distance and the C4
kept book on distance to run, arrival and safety heights. That worked
well, but XCSoar/LK8000 made life a lot easier.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org
Old December 20th 18, 08:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]

I've flown in U.S. competitions with LK8000 software for the last 4 or 5 years. Comfortable with it's UI now and features. Changed polar from my Discus 2a to match the SN10B in my panel.

The 2018 season (Standard Class Nationals - Texas) was the first contest I flew my LK8000 Android version on a Nokia 8. Cockpit readability was equal or better (sharper) than the previous Vertica V2 which is a similar screen to the Oudie 2. Somewhere on the LK8000 Postfrontal forum I sent Vertica V2 Nokia 8 screen comparisons.

Used my Nano recorder to feed bluetooth NMEA to the LK8000... and a small 5v phone booster battery in the side pocket for power. No ship power. Two recommendations for reliability 1) Set up the Nokia 8 and LK8000 verifying bluetooth connection well before takeoff 2) Blank screen and cover the Nokia 8 to protect it from over heating in the sun.

Walt Rogers WX

Old December 20th 18, 10:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I've got a little used Oudie IGC

If you're still looking, and that would fill the bill., gimme a shout

JP
Old December 20th 18, 04:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK

On Wednesday, December 19, 2018 at 11:22:20 PM UTC-8, WaltWX wrote:
[...]

Walt, what Bluetooth are you using?
Old December 20th 18, 06:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Manley[_3_]

Condor (glider flight simulation) outputs an NMEA output. 'Great way to gain proficiency with a navigation software and/or device before using it in actual flight.

Oudie IGC Hartley Falbaum[_2_] Soaring 2 December 19th 16 12:25 AM
OUDIE [email protected] Soaring 31 November 5th 16 04:19 PM
Help info needed on oudie n ewmicrorecorder dan nezgoda Soaring 8 November 16th 15 05:09 PM
Needed: Inexpensive AHRS module to work with Oudie, XCsoar, LK8000, etc... kirk.stant Soaring 34 April 30th 15 02:05 AM
Oudie and 302 Stephen[_3_] Soaring 9 November 2nd 11 06:07 AM