Anyone test fly both the JS3 and the Ventus 3?

Old December 14th 18, 01:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard DalCanto

Default Anyone test fly both the JS3 and the Ventus 3?

I have a deposit on both with FES system. The JS3 would arrive in 2020. The Ventus maybe 2021. Reading the POH, the Ventus may have gentler stall characteristics (according to the manual with forward CG it won't drop a wing on stall either level or in a 45 degree bank). The JS3 manual makes it sound like it will drop a wing (which could be an issue close to terrain). Because of this, I'm leaning toward the Ventus despite the narrower cockpit and longer wait. Anyone flown both who is willing to comment? Or flown the JS3 and can comment on stall characteristics?

Thanks!
Old December 14th 18, 06:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Richard,

I have not flown either but would like too. I do know that Eric Nelson and Ken Sorenson, both have V3's. Maybe you can reach out to them? Have not heard much about the JS3 since the introduction about a year ago. Good Luck with your Selection.

BAS
Old December 14th 18, 06:53 AM
Brett Brett is offline
Member

Location: New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard DalCanto View Post
I have a deposit on both with FES system. The JS3 would arrive in 2020. The Ventus maybe 2021. Reading the POH, the Ventus may have gentler stall characteristics (according to the manual with forward CG it won't drop a wing on stall either level or in a 45 degree bank). The JS3 manual makes it sound like it will drop a wing (which could be an issue close to terrain). Because of this, I'm leaning toward the Ventus despite the narrower cockpit and longer wait. Anyone flown both who is willing to comment? Or flown the JS3 and can comment on stall characteristics?

Thanks!
While I have not flown a Ventus 3 I hear they have great low speed handling characteristics the V2 had a reputation for. They are a lovely sailplane. I own a JS3 and I find it very predicable at low speed - it gives great feedback when the airspeed is lower than it likes and it gives the "mushy" stall with no wing drop unless I stall it sharply. Also consider that these sailplanes are designed for racing at higher wingloadings and handling characteristics move up the airspeed range accordingly.
If you have the experience to utilise the performance of these cutting edge sailplanes then you have nothing to fear from them. Close to terrain you should always be adding an airspeed margin anyway.
Either is a good choice.
Old December 16th 18, 02:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard DalCanto

On Thursday, December 13, 2018 at 5:43:03 PM UTC-7, Richard DalCanto wrote:
I have a deposit on both with FES system. The JS3 would arrive in 2020. The Ventus maybe 2021. Reading the POH, the Ventus may have gentler stall characteristics (according to the manual with forward CG it won't drop a wing on stall either level or in a 45 degree bank). The JS3 manual makes it sound like it will drop a wing (which could be an issue close to terrain). Because of this, I'm leaning toward the Ventus despite the narrower cockpit and longer wait. Anyone flown both who is willing to comment? Or flown the JS3 and can comment on stall characteristics?

Thanks!

Thanks Brett! Have you flown the V2 yourself, or is the comment about the older Ventus stall characteristics based on what you've heard? I'm thinking about flying from Utah to Florida in March (just for two days) for the opening weekend of the Senior Championships just to try to sit in both the JS3 and Ventus 3 cockpits.
Old December 16th 18, 08:05 AM
Brett Brett is offline
Member

Location: New Zealand

Thanks Brett! Have you flown the V2 yourself, or is the comment about the older Ventus stall characteristics based on what you've heard? I'm thinking about flying from Utah to Florida in March (just for two days) for the opening weekend of the Senior Championships just to try to sit in both the JS3 and Ventus 3 cockpits.[/quote]

Richard- yes I have flown the V2C and the V2CX. Both very nice gliders to fly or own and considerably better in the handling department than the first generation (which I have also flown).
Reading your post I'm wondering about your experience level. (I mean no offence). Modern high wing-loading sailplanes are very easy to fly, but would you buy a Ferrari as a first car for a commuter? Because everything happens a bit faster at the lower end of the airspeed spectrum when you have decreased wing area and non-jettisonable ballast such as a FES system.
What type of flying to you have in mind with your new sailplane - competition? club flying? mountain flying? etc. Forgive me if I have misread your concerns.
You should be leaning on your SH and JS agents to organise you some familiarity with their sailplanes - especially if you have gone so far as place orders.
Best of luck.
Old December 16th 18, 03:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard DalCanto

Hi Brett!
No offense taken - this will be my third and last glider. The V3 and JS3 were pretty equivalent at Worlds, so I just want the best handling, easiest flying “Ferrari” possible, because as humans we get tired, get older, and can make a mistake when we get complacent (and in Utah, I can be in strong turbulence 200 feet from a mountain at 10,000MSL and 5,000 above the valley floor). The first JS3s are just now arriving in the US, so there has literally not been a glider for me to even look at. There are also no V3s in Utah. I’m curious to know what part of the world you live in to already have a JS3? With so few JS3s in the world, I also wonder if you are sponsored or otherwise connected to Jonker? We can take this offline if taking it private affects your answers at all, because I would like to know how you feel the handling of the JS3 compares to your experience in the V2 (I have talked to Ken and others about the V3, but you are literally the only person I have found who has actually flown a JS3 - even the US agent for Jonker for the western US has not flown one yet!).

Thanks again,
Richard
To take it private, you can call, or text me your email to my cell 801-673-4943.
Old December 17th 18, 12:37 AM
Brett Brett is offline
Member

Location: New Zealand

Sure Richard

I'm in NZ so shoot me a PM to bretthunternz(at)gmail(dot)com
Regards
Old December 17th 18, 01:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

'With so few JS3s in the world' - Number 43 was test flown 3 days ago - so they are certainly producing JS3s' in significant numbers.

Clinton Birch
LAK 12
Old December 17th 18, 07:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I have flown the JS-3 against a Ventus 3 recently. It usually takes 3-4 thermals to leave the Ventus behind (gaining 3-400 ft per thermal). But please be aware that this in good conditions. In poorer conditions the low wing-loading of the V3 will probably be less of a handicap.
Old December 18th 18, 01:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

On Monday, December 17, 2018 at 1:35:17 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I have flown the JS-3 against a Ventus 3 recently. It usually takes 3-4 thermals to leave the Ventus behind (gaining 3-400 ft per thermal). But please be aware that this in good conditions. In poorer conditions the low wing-loading of the V3 will probably be less of a handicap.

I think you made a mistake you have flown against another pilot who happened to fly V3 and you did better. Everything else is uncertain.

Andrzej