Anyone test fly both the JS3 and the Ventus 3?

Old December 18th 18, 06:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Default Anyone test fly both the JS3 and the Ventus 3?

On Monday, December 17, 2018 at 10:35:17 AM UTC-8, wrote:
I have flown the JS-3 against a Ventus 3 recently. It usually takes 3-4 thermals to leave the Ventus behind (gaining 3-400 ft per thermal). But please be aware that this in good conditions. In poorer conditions the low wing-loading of the V3 will probably be less of a handicap.

"I have flown the JS-3 against a Ventus 3 recently. It usually takes 3-4 thermals to leave the Ventus behind (gaining 3-400 ft per thermal)." That might be the case when conditions warrant 12 plus pounds wingloading. However, even the I believe, September Jonkers newsletter, told of a week day at the world championships when they went from four JS3's in the top 5 slots to one JS3 in the 5 top slots.
Old December 19th 18, 02:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard DalCanto

With FES, and my weight with chute (190lbs), the empty wing loading on the JS3 will be 8.47. The V3 would be 8.23 (the V3 is a little heavier than the JS3 which erases some of its wing loading advantage based purely on wing area). I don't think that is significant.
The performance difference is probably minor enough to not matter for me (the most I plan on doing are local competitions). The JS3 would arrive 1-2 years earlier, and has a larger cockpit. I sat in a Ventus 2A and I don't fit at all (my shoulders were getting painfully squeezed, my head was hitting the top of the canopy, and my knees were against the bottom of the instrument panel because there isn't enough leg room). I have to see if I fit in the slightly larger V3 Sport cockpit. If I don't, then I will stick with the JS3.
Old December 19th 18, 02:17 AM
Brett Brett is offline
Member

Location: New Zealand

[ That might be the case when conditions warrant 12 plus pounds wingloading. However, even the I believe, September Jonkers newsletter, told of a week day at the world championships when they went from four JS3's in the top 5 slots to one JS3 in the 5 top slots.[/quote]

Actually that "bad day" was not that weak, and for the JS3's was more about the fact that they flew a different track/time and had zero lift on the last leg to get them home. More bad luck with respect to timing than to do with glider performance.
Both are superb sailplanes.
Old December 19th 18, 03:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Springford

You can't really compare the V3 Sport cockpit with the V2a cockpit, they are completely different. Besides being a different fuselage altogether than the 2a, the pilot seating position has also been adjusted in the V3 Sport.

The pilot is rotated downward with butt further forward such that the shoulders are now positioned further back and at the widest part of the cockpit. The rudder pedals also have more adjustment allowing for a larger range of pilot heights.

It is still not a large cockpit like a 27, but probably similar to the LS8 and certainly larger than the old "a" cockpit.

Then, there is still the option of the larger V3 Performance cockpit with the forward hinged canopy and larger instrument panel.

Old December 19th 18, 03:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard DalCanto

Dave,
I was going based on what the SH sales agent has told me (that the Sport cockpit is similar to 2A). Unfortunately, as of now, they are not planning on offering FES with Performance cockpit. That is why I have decided I REALLY need to sit in a V3. I'm trying to find one in the Western half of the US so I can fly out for a day and sit in it for 10 minutes. If anyone has one, please let me know....
Old December 19th 18, 03:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Springford

I visited the S-H factory in October and sat in and flew the V3 sport and spent a lot of time talking to Tilo and the engineers about the V3 and while the fuselage is similar in size to the 2a, it is completely different. I agree, you absolutely need to sit in one and see how it fits YOU.

email me dave "at" foxonecorp "dot" com and I'll see if I can direct you to a V3 owner in the west.

Old December 19th 18, 05:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, December 18, 2018 at 8:41:28 PM UTC-6, Richard DalCanto wrote:
Dave,
I was going based on what the SH sales agent has told me (that the Sport cockpit is similar to 2A). Unfortunately, as of now, they are not planning on offering FES with Performance cockpit. That is why I have decided I REALLY need to sit in a V3. I'm trying to find one in the Western half of the US so I can fly out for a day and sit in it for 10 minutes. If anyone has one, please let me know....

I did try on the V3 Sport FES of Jim Frantz and at 6'2" I could not get the rudder pedals far enough forward to have my legs extended. It was most uncomfortable sitting in it for 5 minutes so that rules out a 5 hour flight for sure! Seems to FES motor takes up space in the nose that restricts the forward travel of the rudder pedals. Have not tried on a V3 Sport non FES.

Next to try is a JS3. Hopefully designed for tall pilots.

Tony
LS8
Fits very well
Old December 19th 18, 10:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I am 6.2' and 210lbs. I fit well into the JS3 (well enough for 8hr flights without fatigue), even better in the LS8 and not at all in the V3 with the small fuselage.
The myth about the JS3 being too heavy to climb, is just that, and if it comes to the run, I would rather be in a JS3 if I wanted to get home first
Old December 19th 18, 08:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Branko Stojkovic

On Wednesday, December 19, 2018 at 10:30:18 AM UTC-8, Paul T wrote:

FAI should mandate a minimum cockpit size to allow for the larger pilot
-smaller pilots are getting a slight performance advantage in these
smaller cockpit planes i.e Discus 2a vs the b. If it can't fit an Oscar
then
it should be banned from comps!

My thoughts exactly! Being tall is punishment enough when flying economy class.

Branko XYU