Looking for Phd research topic

Old July 30th 06, 07:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.misc
Speedbird

Default Looking for Phd research topic

I'm an MBA grad looking for any ideas for Phd research. Any
interesting suggestions?

Old July 30th 06, 07:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.misc

Speedbird wrote:
I'm an MBA grad looking for any ideas for Phd research. Any
interesting suggestions?

How about: Why is it that when MBA's run a company in to the ground and
destroy it by micromanaging it, do they get rewarded, promoted and
bigger companies to destroy, instead of being fired?

I've seen MBA's chop tons of stuff right after they get into power to
look good for upper management and the shareholders, but they seem to
be made of Teflon when it comes to explaining why the project is now
over budget by a couple of hundred grand waiting on a connector that
has a 10 month lead time from the vendor that we kept in stock until
the MBA took over.....

In my book, MBA's rate only slightly higher on the value scale than
Communist Dictators....and that's only because one has to be the
lowest....

Old July 30th 06, 05:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc
Stubby

Assuming you are not troll, please find a cure for cancer, diabetes,
parkinsons, etc. Or, world hunger.

Old July 31st 06, 01:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.misc

The group could probably come up with some ideas for an aerodynamist
or a dynamics/kinematics project. But I can't quite imagine what a
PhD student would study in the business world.

Can you give us some ideas of past thesesis?

Stan

Old August 1st 06, 02:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.misc
Juan Jimenez[_1_]

The Economics of Space Tourism.

RJ vs Behemoth, Hubs vs Short Haul: Which one will survive?

VLJ's and the Air Taxi Industry: Million Dollar Hype or Next Evolution in
Air Travel?

Is Chicago's tourism taking a hit from Daley's Meigs Massacre?

User Fee's, Bane or Blessing -- Worldwide analysis

Old August 1st 06, 04:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc
Kyler Laird

writes:

The group could probably come up with some ideas for an aerodynamist
or a dynamics/kinematics project. But I can't quite imagine what a
PhD student would study in the business world.

Let's see if we can expand your imagination...

My wife just got her Ph.D. in "human factors in aviation." She studied
pilot-controller communication. Her emphasis was on sociolinguistics
and especially international speech (like ICAO vs. USA phraseology).

(I thought it might never happen but here's the proof.)
http://lairds.org/Kyler/photos/disk0...g/image_viewer

That's close to "the business world" (especially when airlines were
considering ICAO compliance) and she certainly could have done more
business-like things in that area.

There are plenty of opportunities for financial types. I think of
things like cost analysis of technologies such as "green approaches"
and WheelTugs. I suspect FedEx might want to talk with such people.

--kyler
Old August 2nd 06, 09:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.misc
Tony

Speedbird wrote:
I'm an MBA grad looking for any ideas for Phd research. Any
interesting suggestions?

1: A study of the economics and effectiveness of physical travel vs
virtual meetings

2: A study of business successes -- you figure out the figure of merit
-- of MBAs who've taken their undergraduate degree in say the hard
sciences vs liberal arts or business itself. There are a lot of myths
out there that could be quantified.

3: I especially like the idea of looking at a particular MBA graduating
class of say out of the B School or your own school, maybe having had
earned their degrees sometime in the early 60s, deriving some measure
to measure their success, and trying to match it to some other metric:
perhaps a personality profile or the like.

Now, would you tell us why you posted your question in this forum?