flight sotware for iphone?

Old July 19th 16, 03:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default flight sotware for iphone?

The brightness is about the same as my iPhone 5, but the display is much larger which makes everything easy to see. It's somewhat brighter than my old compaq pocket pc.

However, it need to be mounted so that you're viewing it close(ish) to vertical. I tried the iPad sitting on my leg, and I couldn't see anything. But when mounted facing me, it was great. It does not need to be at exactly 90 degrees, but laying it down on your leg (while you are reclined) doesn't work.

Another thing about the iPad is that it allows for 8 info boxes across the top and another 8 across the bottom. With the phone I got 8 total. Also the menus work better on the iPad.

If you go with the iPad, you'll need the cellular version. Or you can use the wifi only version with an external Gps. You don't need cellular service, just the cellular version of the iPad.
Old July 19th 16, 05:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Monday, July 18, 2016 at 3:57:31 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Regarding the second quirk...

"Another quirk is that until you exit the cylinder, statistics for the rest of the task are calculated assuming you have not yet reached the waypoint and still need to. For example if you have a large cylinder around the last waypoint before the finish, as you glide towards the finish (but still inside the cylinder) you will see the altitude and time required to finish increase, even though you are getting closer to it. As soon as you exit the cylinder, it is all updated correctly. This is mainly a problem only on large cylinders."

Once you have decided you are headed to the next cylider (but are still in the previous one), you can push the route button, then select the next cylinder and "activate" it. This tells iGlide you are done with the cylinder you are in and are headed to the next one. Once you activate the cyluder you are heading to iGlide marks the cylinder you're still in green, and then it recalculates the time and altitude required.

Thanks for that tip - I thought it might be the case but was afraid to try it while actually flying a racing task for fear of losing the stats.

One thing to be careful of is if you are viewing the active racing route, don't hit "Clear" unless you mean it - the route is cancelled and all statistics are immediately lost. They really should have a confirm dialog for that one so it doesn't happen by accident.
Old July 19th 16, 01:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Yep, selecting "clear" during your task wipes all the stats.

Selecting "direct to" anywhere has the same effect - because it clears you task.

But judicial use of "activate" and adding waypoints does what I need. You can also unactivate a cylinder by activating the previous one.

The IGlide program is excellent. The documentation, not so much. You just have to play around with it to find out what it does.

And my wife thinks I'm silly because I use iGlide to navigate to work and to the grocery store!
Old July 19th 16, 02:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann[_2_]

On Monday, July 18, 2016 at 9:00:37 PM UTC-5, Eric Greenwell wrote:
wrote on 7/17/2016 8:09 PM:
Yesterday and today were the first flight tests for IGlide on the
iPad mini 4. And wow is it fantastic!

How good is the iPad mini 4 display in the cockpit, compared to the
iPhone 6 (for example)? I have an older iPad mini, and it's usable but
marginal, but my iPhone 6 is very good. For my Phoenix, however, the
iPad mini size fits easily and would be a better choice - if the display
on the mini 4 is better than my old mini.

email me)

I have an iPad Mini 4 in my Phoenix. It is totally readable. I have been using the free version of the FltPan Go app to give me a moving map sectional display. A great redundancy for the Dynon Skyview system, particularly if you are flying around Class B airspace, where you need to see a bigger picture than what you can easily see on the 7" Dynon display.
Old July 25th 16, 03:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I now have completed several flights with the iPad mini4 running iGlide. It's excellent. The map is easy to see, scaleable, and pannable. I'm very pleased with the whole setup. There are a few things that xcsoar does that iGlide won't. But the reverse is true also. I'm very happy with it.