A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

flight sotware for iphone?

Old June 1st 16, 02:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default flight sotware for iphone?

On Wednesday, June 1, 2016 at 6:19:14 AM UTC-5, joesimmers wrote:
I have the lite version of Iglide, it is cheap ($35 range)

It is perfect for a backup glide computer.

By far the easiest most user friendly UI of anything out there.

This is important if you end up needing it but have not used
it for a while.

Great! Can you pair it with a Nano 3 for increased GPS accuracy and to take advantage of the Nanos capabilities?
Old June 1st 16, 03:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, May 31, 2016 at 8:59:12 PM UTC-7, Ramy wrote:
There is also winpilot for iPhone/iPad.

Ramy

Ramy
Do you have any feedback on it?
Old June 2nd 16, 09:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, June 1, 2016 at 11:57:14 AM UTC-6, Ramy wrote:
No I haven't used it as I am not using my iPhone in flight but I know Jerry was making enhancements to it recently.

Ramy

I’ve used iGlide for 2 seasons. This year, I upgraded to the advanced version because I wanted wind information. To get the wind data they say to make “ two circles” but it takes way more than that. I’m not sure what bank angles work best but medium bank did not make any difference on my last flight. Also, I moved my BadElf Pro to a visible spot on the dash to help with GPS reception. I use an iPhone 6+ on a knee board and it connects with a Bluetooth. On one long flight (4 hours) my iPhone battery went pretty low, %20, so an extra battery pack would be needed for longer flights. I don’t use the OLC function, but downloads of flights into Google earth are really cool, with altitude/ground track displayed in a ribbon fashion. The airspace waring is verbal and works really well, (I fly right next to Class B), but the distance in kilometers is what you really keeps clear. You can change the data screens to just about anything and the data uploads are a breeze, just be sure to update before each flight. Also, I created a polar for my make and model glider to ensure the glide ratio to airports/points more accurate.
Old June 3rd 16, 05:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch
external usenet poster

On Thursday, June 2, 2016 at 1:33:56 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Wednesday, June 1, 2016 at 11:57:14 AM UTC-6, Ramy wrote:
No I haven't used it as I am not using my iPhone in flight but I know Jerry was making enhancements to it recently.

Ramy

I’ve used iGlide for 2 seasons. This year, I upgraded to the advanced version because I wanted wind information. To get the wind data they say to make “ two circles” but it takes way more than that.. I’m not sure what bank angles work best but medium bank did not make any difference on my last flight. Also, I moved my BadElf Pro to a visible spot on the dash to help with GPS reception. I use an iPhone 6+ on a knee board and it connects with a Bluetooth. On one long flight (4 hours) my iPhone battery went pretty low, %20, so an extra battery pack would be needed for longer flights. I don’t use the OLC function, but downloads of flights into Google earth are really cool, with altitude/ground track displayed in a ribbon fashion. The airspace waring is verbal and works really well, (I fly right next to Class B), but the distance in kilometers is what you really keeps clear. You can change the data screens to just about anything and the data uploads are a breeze, just be sure to update before each flight. Also, I created a polar for my make and model glider to ensure the glide ratio to airports/points more accurate.

For wind data with iGlide, you really want the Air Vario. Then you will get accurate intertially derived wind data calculated 20 times a second. it's only $3K
Old June 14th 16, 03:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I just installed iGlide lite. It allows one set of info boxes. Does anybody know if the upgraded versions allow more than one set of info boxes? Such as one set for thermalling, another set for cruise, etc?

Thanks!

Old June 14th 16, 07:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Unfortunately, the lite version is too lite. You have lots of options with the advanced version.

5Z

On Monday, June 13, 2016 at 7:32:47 PM UTC-7, wrote:
I just installed iGlide lite. It allows one set of info boxes. Does anybody know if the upgraded versions allow more than one set of info boxes? Such as one set for thermalling, another set for cruise, etc?

Thanks!

Old July 3rd 16, 01:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw
external usenet poster

There are 3 good reasons for choosing Oudie2:

1) Sunlight readable display
2) Sunlight readable display
3) Sunlight readable display
Old July 3rd 16, 01:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I'm looking at IGlide as a replacement for my trusty pocket PC running XC soar. IGlide is not bad, better in some ways, but it has a few quirks. It's possible that the quirks could be user error, so I'm posting these questions here to see if anyone else has seen these issues.

1. Iglide can't remember changes to the default settings. I somehow got the default start cylinder set to 50 miles. I've changed it to 5 miles a dozen times at least, but every time I open the program again it's right back to 50 miles. The same goes for the other default task settings.

2. I used the simulation mode once, and now it starts up in simulation mode every time. I turn the simulation switch off, exit the program, and when I start it again the blasted thing is in simulation mode again. That's pretty annoying if you accidentally exit the program while flying. You start it again, and discover that you're in simulation mode, 100 miles away from where you actually are.

Has anybody else experienced these "features"?

Thanks,

John
Old July 3rd 16, 03:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch
external usenet poster

On Sunday, July 3, 2016 at 5:08:26 AM UTC-7, krasw wrote:
There are 3 good reasons for choosing Oudie2:

1) Sunlight readable display
2) Sunlight readable display
3) Sunlight readable display

There are 3 good reasons not to choose Oudie2: