flight sotware for iphone?

Old July 3rd 16, 03:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

Default flight sotware for iphone?

On Sunday, July 3, 2016 at 5:57:04 AM UTC-7, wrote:
I'm looking at IGlide as a replacement for my trusty pocket PC running XC soar. IGlide is not bad, better in some ways, but it has a few quirks. It's possible that the quirks could be user error, so I'm posting these questions here to see if anyone else has seen these issues.

1. Iglide can't remember changes to the default settings. I somehow got the default start cylinder set to 50 miles. I've changed it to 5 miles a dozen times at least, but every time I open the program again it's right back to 50 miles. The same goes for the other default task settings.

2. I used the simulation mode once, and now it starts up in simulation mode every time. I turn the simulation switch off, exit the program, and when I start it again the blasted thing is in simulation mode again. That's pretty annoying if you accidentally exit the program while flying. You start it again, and discover that you're in simulation mode, 100 miles away from where you actually are.

Has anybody else experienced these "features"?

Thanks,

John

There is a setting for the default cylinder size, it is in the config.xml file. If you didn't edit this I'm not sure how you changed it. The xml file allows setting default start, finish, and turnpoint types, radii, etc. I don't remember (and cannot find) a screen UI to change it.

It should not come up in simulator mode unless shut down in simulator mode. Mine remembers all setting as they were left across program shutdowns.

I wonder if you have somehow a set of corrupt configuration files? There are several, they appear as xxxx.xml files in the program's data area. The easiest thing to get you back to nominal would be to remove these files and restart the program (it will build new ones if none exist) or remove and reinstall iGlide from the iPhone. I can describe how to do those things if you email me.
Old July 3rd 16, 03:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Reinholt

On Sunday, July 3, 2016 at 7:22:14 AM UTC-7, jfitch wrote:
On Sunday, July 3, 2016 at 5:08:26 AM UTC-7, krasw wrote:
There are 3 good reasons for choosing Oudie2:

1) Sunlight readable display
2) Sunlight readable display
3) Sunlight readable display

There are 3 good reasons not to choose Oudie2:

1) Only runs SYM software
2) Only runs SYM software
3) Only runs SYM software

Oudie 2 will run any freestanding flight software. You just need to properly direct the startup sequence to it. Discuss with your Oudie 2 dealer.
On my Oudie 2 I started with LK8000 and quickly dropped that for SYM and never looked back.
Craig
Old July 3rd 16, 04:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Sunday, July 3, 2016 at 7:49:21 AM UTC-7, Craig Reinholt wrote:
On Sunday, July 3, 2016 at 7:22:14 AM UTC-7, jfitch wrote:
On Sunday, July 3, 2016 at 5:08:26 AM UTC-7, krasw wrote:
There are 3 good reasons for choosing Oudie2:

1) Sunlight readable display
2) Sunlight readable display
3) Sunlight readable display

There are 3 good reasons not to choose Oudie2:

1) Only runs SYM software
2) Only runs SYM software
3) Only runs SYM software

Oudie 2 will run any freestanding flight software. You just need to properly direct the startup sequence to it. Discuss with your Oudie 2 dealer.
On my Oudie 2 I started with LK8000 and quickly dropped that for SYM and never looked back.
Craig

It will not, for example, run iGlide. Or Winpilot anymore, if you want to use it with an Air vario. It will run SYM, LK8000, or XCSoar - but that is not from "any".

SYM is quite capable, unfortunately the teletype UI from about 1980 does not do it for me. It could be worse I suppose - running say a Fortran card deck for UI. Many people like it but I do not.

I have an Avier (same hardware as Oudie2) and have run SYM and XCSoar on it.. Holding them side by side with an iPhone 6 plus, there isn't much difference in sunlight readability. The Avier is a little better under some conditions, a little worse in others.
Old July 4th 16, 08:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

On Sunday, 3 July 2016 17:22:14 UTC+3, jfitch wrote:

There are 3 good reasons not to choose Oudie2:

1) Only runs SYM software
2) Only runs SYM software
3) Only runs SYM software

What are main reasons against SYM? I tried to learn to use XCSoar but gave up.
Old July 4th 16, 03:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Monday, July 4, 2016 at 12:26:47 AM UTC-7, krasw wrote:
On Sunday, 3 July 2016 17:22:14 UTC+3, jfitch wrote:

There are 3 good reasons not to choose Oudie2:

1) Only runs SYM software
2) Only runs SYM software
3) Only runs SYM software

What are main reasons against SYM? I tried to learn to use XCSoar but gave up.

There is nothing wrong with SYM that a total re-write of the UI couldn't fix. iGlide for example is several *decades* ahead in Ui design. All that I have tried have adequate functionality, accessing it is the problem. I admit this is to some extent personal preference, but there is some consensus in the man-machine interface field.

I would rate the ones I own this way in descending UI desirability:

iGlide
Winpilot iOS
Winpilot PDA
XCSoar
SYM
Old July 4th 16, 06:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Apparently the fix for the mysterious not saving the default settings is to write a post on RAS. Because it seems to be working fine now.

On the topic of xc soar vs Iglide vs others.

XC soar is excellent, and IGlide is looking pretty good. I run XC soar on a pocket pc, connected to a Cambridge 302. It works well, with a few annoyances. Adding a turn point to a task in flight takes a lot of keystrokes.. The map is OK, but not great. Other that that, XC soar is fantastic.

Iglide has a fantastic map, very detailed, and adding a new point is easy. But it doesn't show a "glide amoeba" which I wish it did. Also, if you hit the home button on your device, it stops and your log file stops also. That could be a pain in the neck if you are planning to put your file on the OLC. I can always get the file from the 302, but that requires the pocket PC that I'm trying to get rid of.

Bottom line for me. XC soar is very good. Iglide looks good so far, but I'm not far enough along to get rid of the pocket PC running XC soar just yet. I'll report back after a few more flights.

Old July 4th 16, 07:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark

What is it about the SYM UI that you don't like?

I can say that what I do like is the flexible screen configurability and the efficient way you can perform common actions such as task setting, task changing, checking the details of waypoints or airspace and zooming.

I run an Oudie IGC alongside my LX9000 and consider it the gold standard in portable glide computing.

In both cases I know the software very well. I completely agree that the critical factor in flight software is familiarity.
Old July 4th 16, 09:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Casey[_2_]

On Monday, July 4, 2016 at 1:15:41 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Also, if you hit the home button on your device, it stops and your log file stops also. That could be a pain in the neck if you are planning to put your file on the OLC.

I don't think mine has stopped the log file after hitting the home button. I will try next time I fly but I'm sure I've hit the home button while in flight before.

I'm looking forward to the day I integrate the Buttery Fly Vario with my iPhone running iGlide.
Old July 4th 16, 10:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Casey[_2_]

On Monday, July 4, 2016 at 1:15:41 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Also, if you hit the home button on your device, it stops and your log file stops also.

I don't think mine has stopped the log file after hitting the home button. I will try next time I fly but I'm sure I've hit the home button while in flight before.

I'm looking forward to the day I integrate the ButterFly Vario with my iPhone running iGlide.
Old July 5th 16, 12:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Monday, July 4, 2016 at 11:07:41 AM UTC-7, waremark wrote:
What is it about the SYM UI that you don't like?

I can say that what I do like is the flexible screen configurability and the efficient way you can perform common actions such as task setting, task changing, checking the details of waypoints or airspace and zooming.

I run an Oudie IGC alongside my LX9000 and consider it the gold standard in portable glide computing.

In both cases I know the software very well. I completely agree that the critical factor in flight software is familiarity.

UI is to some extent personal preference. Have you used iGlide Pro? The things you mention (task setting, task changing, checking details of waypoints or airspace, zooming) - are all *FAR* easier in iGlide.

I own and have used all of those I mentioned. My glider is set up to take either the iPhone with iGlide or Winpilot iOS, or the Avier with SYM, XCSoar, Winpilot, and a few others. I have flown many days with each. At the beginning of the day it is as easy for me to use one as another, just pick one. Until you use a better one, you may feel that what you have is great. It's going back to one that isn't as great, that the difference is really noted.. For the last two years, I have picked iGlide every time.

iGlide does not have a glide amoeba, it is a feature they have long promised but still not hear. I do not find the one on XCSoar very useful. With iGlide Pro you do get glide over terrain and a terrain profile (also not as useful as one might hope). I thought if you hit the home button it will stop, but will continue the log when you restart it, but I could be wrong.