Ferry Pilot Down

Old February 12th 08, 02:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

Default Ferry Pilot Down

Just got off the phone with NWPilot, calling me from a wake (at Hooters) for
a fellow ferry pilot who went down today in the North Atlantic, 50 miles
short of Keflavik, Iceland.

Here's the story, from Airliners.net:
************************************************** *************************************************
At 15:50 local time, contact was made with RKV ICG centre from a Cessna 310,
arriving from Narsarsuaq, which had lost power in one of its engines, 60
miles off Keflavik. In an effort to pump fuel between tanks its feared both
engines failed and the pilot had to rely on gliding the aircraft. At the
time he was descending through 7000 ft heading towards Reykjavik.

RKV ATC Centre initiated emergency status in KEF and the ICG Centre sent its
Super Pumas, TF-GNA and TF-LIF out to the incident site.

At 16:10 the Cessna 310 disappeared from radar, around 50 miles from
Keflavik.

A Challenger 604 from the Danish Air Force was sent straight to the scene of
the incident and a full search was carried out from that point.

TF-LIF arrived at the scene around 17:00. No sighting of the Cessna 310 had
been made and no signal from the emergency transmitter was noticed.

Three trawlers which were near the scene of the incident where called
immediately into action and a full scale search was underway. A Cessna 172
aircraft was also involved in the search operation as well as various rescue
boats from Slysavarnarfelagid Landsbjorg.

ICGs own F27 TF-SYN was sent out as a surveillance aircraft to replace the
efforts of the DAF CL604. A patrol vessel from the ICG was also sent out to
help the search efforts.
************************************************** *************************************************
Pretty much a worst-case scenario. High seas, ice cold water, gliding a
dead stick C-310 into 40-foot swells. NWPilot says he didn't start drinking
until 3 hours after the crash -- survival time in the water is estimated at
2 hours, maximum, in a survival suit. The pilot's name was Jeff Hall, and he
helped NW get into the biz.

Raise a toast to a brave man, gents....
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 12th 08, 03:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

************************************************** **************************************************
[...]

So Sad............

Ben
www.haaspowerair.com
Old February 12th 08, 03:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt[_2_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

Pretty much a worst-case scenario. High seas, ice cold water, gliding a
dead stick C-310 into 40-foot swells. NWPilot says he didn't start
drinking until 3 hours after the crash -- survival time in the water is
estimated at 2 hours, maximum, in a survival suit. The pilot's name was
Jeff Hall, and he helped NW get into the biz.

Raise a toast to a brave man, gents....

*salute*

Thanks for passing this on.

-c

Old February 12th 08, 04:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Jay Honeck wrote:
[...]

These long over water ferry flights are much more dangerous than the
average person might expect. The pilots engaged in this line of work
deserve a lot of respect.
I sincerely hope there was something friendly under him if he went down
but I doubt that will be the case.
Others have correctly stated the dangers.
It's a shame about this pilot. NW Pilot has my sincere condolences with
this. I know what it feels like to go through these things.

--
Dudley Henriques
Old February 12th 08, 02:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Feb 11, 5:34 pm, "Jay Honeck" wrote:
[...]

Thanks Jay,

If your in this business it's a small group of pilots that do it
regularly and we get to know each other. He will be missed by a bunch
of other pilots. He worked his rear off crossing almost weekly.

I am Currently On my way across this week shutdown for ice here in
Ohio the aircraft T182 should be able to be tanked Thursday and have a
Friday crossing to Santa Maria.

Ditching is a ferry pilots worst nightmare but we understand it dose
happen even to experienced pilots with hundreds of crossings.

Last 12 Months,
Fritz Schroder 02/2007 (SR20, Blown Engine Outside Narsarsuaq)
Lori Love 08/2007 (Vanished Between Accra Ghana And Namibia)

Old February 12th 08, 07:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan[_1_]

On Feb 12, 6:23*am, wrote:
[...]

Lori Love 08/2007 (Vanished Between Accra Ghana And Namibia)- Hide quoted text -

Do ferry pilots universally carry 406 Mhz GPS PLBs? I know I would
want one for sure.

If the pilot who vanished in Africa had one, and a signal was not
received, it could be (somewhat) reasonably assumed that she died on
impact.

--Dan
Old February 12th 08, 07:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Darkwing

"Dan" wrote in message
On Feb 12, 6:23 am, wrote:
[...]

I'm still amazed they can't find Steve Fossett here in the USA. Amazing how
big the world truly is at ground level.

Old February 13th 08, 03:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Feb 12, 1:30 pm, John Smith wrote:
In article
,

wrote:
I am Currently On my way across this week shutdown for ice here in
Ohio the aircraft T182 should be able to be tanked Thursday and have a
Friday crossing to Santa Maria.

Where are you in Ohio?
I am in Columbus area.

I am in Cincy, I carry a 406 with GPS and I where it and it is
recommended to turn it on before ditching.. I knew Jeff flew the same
routs at the same time he had a lite military style immersion suit I
and very small raft if any at all I had never seen him with an Epirb
he packed lightly and we have both helped load our accessories and
test our HF Radios. he alway told me to be more productive take less/
smaller stuff.

More info from Iceland Review,

An extensive search for an American pilot was launched yesterday
afternoon after reports were received that his small Cessna 310
airplane crashed into the ocean 50 nautical miles west of Reykjanes
peninsula, Iceland's southwestern coast.

The pilot, who was the only one onboard, was traveling from
Narsassuaq, Greenland, to Reykjavík when his engines went dead, the
first at 3 pm. He managed to send an emergency message about having
trouble transferring fuel between tanks, Morgunbladid reports.

Shortly afterwards the pilot reported that he had also lost power in
the other engine and that his airplane was hovering at an altitude of
7,000 feet. The Icelandic Coast Guard sent one of its helicopters TF-
LIF towards the airplane. A Danish military aircraft had already begun
searching for the Cessna.

Three fishing vessels located near the scene of the accident and Coast
Guard cruisers were also called to the scene of the accident as well
as the Coast Guard airplane TF-SIF, and other airplanes.

Head Icelandic Coast Guard pilot Sigurdur Heidar Wiium, who flew the
TF-LIF helicopter, said the conditions had been very difficult
yesterday. "The waves were high and it was stormy, making it difficult
to search in the ocean."

In the evening it began snowing and the visibility in the search area
was poor. Captain Thorsteinn Eyjólfsson of trawler Baldvin Njálsson
GK-400, which was fishing only 10 nautical miles away from the scene
of the accident, said conditions for searching were extremely
difficult.

The air search was called off late last night.
Old February 13th 08, 08:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Will miss Jeffrey, was good friend... Gonna be a hard crossing this
weekend with this in back of my mind.... hope he did not suffer!

Old February 13th 08, 08:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

He was the only one i knew that would take anything over 600SMHO over
the pond.... he was good people. I will miss the stuck days in Bangor,
St john, Narsarsuaq, santa maria. with him would make a long flight
long flight a Short flight on 121.7 chit chatting.... this one really
hits home!!!!! I know i ahve only been doing this about 2 years but
you make friends and it's hard when they go way like this....

In winter there is usually n o survival on any ditching survival time
is about 2min to 3 hours depending if your wearing a suit and it's
quality. Mustang is now befor my next crossing a must the sterns i
have will give 1.5 to 2 hours in them conditions my raft EAM-T-4 with
cover will give 24 to 36 hours that is if i can get in to it...

If any on can do the survival training from CAMI in OKC or cretin
AFB's go do it they will slam you in the water and let you egress not
funnn....

if he did get in his little raft if he even if he had it with him i
know! he some times went across with out one crazy fella... Was good
people very hard worker....

bye bye

Mustangs of Old, concluded - US-WAF Ferry pilot Florene Watson.jpg (1/1) Mitchell Holman Aviation Photos 0 December 30th 06 04:53 AM
F4U-5 ferry range [email protected] Naval Aviation 2 January 31st 06 05:02 AM
An EAC ferry to Red Flag Maurice Hendriks Naval Aviation 0 September 11th 05 11:04 PM
Ferry Permit? Mackfly Soaring 7 March 9th 04 03:23 AM
Ferry Pilot Needed Seattle to Dallas Flynn Owning 2 September 10th 03 02:31 PM