Drilling out old rivets questions?

Old August 7th 08, 11:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Fonz

Default Drilling out old rivets questions?

G'Day all.
I have a Cessna 310L cockpit which I will be converting to a simulator.
I wish for it to stay as authentic as possible, including method of
construction and cosmetics.
As such I have to repair/replace and modify some aluminium panels.
My question:
What is the best way to remove solid rivets?
(I have been told to drill lightly into the little dimple of either the
universal or flush rivet, and then use the shank end of the same size bit to
bend/peel top off. After that just pop it out.)

What size drills should I use?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what I should be using for installing.
Should I use the same fro removal?
3/32 #40 drill Silver cleco
1/8 #30 drill Copper cleco
5/32 #21 drill Black cleco
3/16 #10 drill Brass cleco

Hopefully this will be good practise for me, as one day I'd love to build an
RV.

Many thanks in advance for any advice provided.
Rob.
Melbourne Australia.

Old August 7th 08, 01:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

On Thu, 7 Aug 2008 20:35:56 +1000, "Fonz" wrote:

G'Day all.
I have a Cessna 310L cockpit which I will be converting to a simulator.
I wish for it to stay as authentic as possible, including method of
construction and cosmetics.
As such I have to repair/replace and modify some aluminium panels.
My question:
What is the best way to remove solid rivets?

you need to drill out the rivet without enlarging or "figure 8'ing"
the underlying hole. that is the basic principle.
whatever way works for you without damaging the underlying sheet is
ok.

ordinary drills are often not stiff enough to stay in position.
double ended jobber drills that have shorter flutes and are thus
stiffer can be useful.

you should also search out a drill called variously a centre drill or
a slocumbe drill. machinists shops carry them. they have a stepped end
and are comparitively very stiff. a number 2 or number 3 would be
useful.

my old LAME swore by a blunt quarter inch wood chisel, it had just the
right end sharpness and could be used to pling off the head sideways
with a tap from a hammer. the rivet body was then tapped out of the
hole with a pin punch.

if you can work precisely and develop a gentle touch you should have
no problems.

Stealth pilot

Old August 7th 08, 01:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Fonz

Thanks stealth.
I'll give both a try.
Rob.

Old August 7th 08, 11:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

http://link.brightcove.com/services/...ctid1657896937

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old August 8th 08, 12:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Charles

Using a chisel and then punching out the rivet shank with a pin punch works
OK with button head rivets and a sturdy structure. I'd keep away from the
chisel until you had practiced for a while.
The drill bit sizes mentioned work well but sometimes the rivet shank is
very tightly imbedded in the underlying sheet and trying to punch it out
with a pin punch doesn't work well as the thin underlying sheet distorts
easily. Sometimes drilling all the way through is the only practical way but
you have to be VERY carefull doing this to keep from distorting the original
hole. Use new, sharp bits, and go slowly.

Old August 8th 08, 12:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
stol

On Aug 7, 4:35*am, "Fonz" wrote:
[...]

Heck, it is a simuator.. It will be earthbound forever. Do whatever it
takes to remove and replace them that doesn't take alot of time....
Drilling them out with the same size drill bit is the fastest and who
cares if you oblong the hole a little..
Just my opinion ya know...

Ben.
www.haaspowerair.com
Old August 8th 08, 05:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Fonz

Thanks for the link. That is pretty much the way I thought it might go.
It's a good website. clarified a few things.
Regards,
Rob

Old August 8th 08, 05:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Fonz

Yep I know it will remain earthbound, but I don't.
I want to use this as practise for something that will sprout wings, so I'd
rather stuff up the sim, and have less problems with the real thing. I
don't mind opinions or people throwing in their 2cents, as eventually it
will total a dollar, and that dollar might be saved in the future with less
stuff-ups.
Regards,
Rob

Old August 8th 08, 03:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gig 601Xl Builder

Fonz wrote:
Yep I know it will remain earthbound, but I don't.
I want to use this as practise for something that will sprout wings, so I'd
rather stuff up the sim, and have less problems with the real thing. I
don't mind opinions or people throwing in their 2cents, as eventually it
will total a dollar, and that dollar might be saved in the future with less
stuff-ups.
Regards,
Rob

I understand you are want to go for realism but on something like a hole
that has been made oblong by drilling it isn't worth the effort. Once
you put the new rivet in you won't be able to tell and there isn't an
airworthiness issue.
Old August 9th 08, 02:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

"Fonz" wrote in message
Yep I know it will remain earthbound, but I don't.
I want to use this as practise for something that will sprout wings, so
I'd rather stuff up the sim, and have less problems with the real thing.
I don't mind opinions or people throwing in their 2cents, as eventually
it will total a dollar, and that dollar might be saved in the future with
less stuff-ups.

Sounds like a plan to me...

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Drilling a hole in Aluminum Rib; how close? Michael Horowitz Home Built 5 October 15th 07 09:09 PM
Drilling a solid crankshaft Ole Moyer Home Built 8 November 2nd 05 05:17 AM
Drilling holes in steel tubing wright1902glider Home Built 20 October 9th 05 03:43 AM
RIVETS [email protected] Home Built 2 August 29th 05 03:28 PM
Thanks for ideas on drilling a centered hole! Scott Home Built 12 October 25th 04 02:52 AM