Prop Balance and Murphy

Old March 18th 08, 04:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
karl mcgruber

Default Prop Balance and Murphy

The same goes for the engine manufacturers. I put six new Millenium
cylinders on about a year and a half ago, all the pistons within 1 gram.
On a typical Continental they don't really care how much the pistons
weigh.

I don't have any love for Continental....But.....It is MUCH more important
to balance rotating parts than reciprocating.

Old March 18th 08, 07:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
nrp

"It is MUCH more important
to balance rotating parts than reciprocating."

I challenge that. Acceleration of a mass (or mass error) creates the
same dynamic force whether in a rotating motion or in moving in only a
translational motion. The only difference is that the force direction
is changing vs just reciprocating.

One gram may be overly accurate but it is something that is easily
achieved. I recall a Continental paper that said though that they
deliberately built up an engine with one pound (!) heavier piston & it
ran "satisfactorily".

Yeah, I'll bet......!

Old March 18th 08, 08:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On Mar 18, 1:58 pm, nrp wrote:
"It is MUCH more important
to balance rotating parts than reciprocating."

I challenge that. Acceleration of a mass (or mass error) creates the
same dynamic force whether in a rotating motion or in moving in only a
translational motion. The only difference is that the force direction
is changing vs just reciprocating.

One gram may be overly accurate but it is something that is easily
achieved. I recall a Continental paper that said though that they
deliberately built up an engine with one pound (!) heavier piston & it
ran "satisfactorily".

Yeah, I'll bet......!

If one cylinder is oversized by .010" , the opposing cylinder
gets it, too. The heavier .010" oversize piston will throw everything
out of whack otherwise.
A one-pound heavier piston would run satisfactorily to someone
else, not to most of us. It would shake pretty good. Might get you
home, but that's about it.

Dan
Old March 19th 08, 03:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
nrp

If one cylinder is oversized by .010" , the opposing cylinder
gets it, too. The heavier .010" oversize piston will throw everything
out of whack otherwise.
A one-pound heavier piston would run satisfactorily to someone
else, not to most of us. It would shake pretty good. Might get you
home, but that's about it.

A .010 inch oversize piston doesn't necessarily have to weigh more.
And the piston area is less than 1 percent larger than standard. I
don't think that would cause a rough engine, as typical ignition
timing and mixture distribution variances will be much greater than
that.

But, a single 1 pound piston mass imbalance would give a typical
engine crankcase vibration of about 3 ips, which would obviously be
pretty rough to most of us.

Old April 8th 08, 04:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck[_2_]

I'm a serious woodworker

Dang. You can afford to fly AND do wood work? I've got a basement full of
serious power equipment that has nary been touched since I learned to fly 14
years ago. With the price of cherry, building a dresser works out to way
too many AMUs for me to justify doing both.

You must be one of dem "rich playboy pilots"...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Right prop, wrong prop? Wood prop, metal prop? Gus Rasch Aerobatics 1 February 14th 08 10:18 PM
Wierd vibration -- Prop or engine, balance or not??? Chuck Owning 17 December 1st 04 02:12 PM
Dynamic prop balance Ben Jackson Owning 18 June 27th 04 01:45 AM
dang that Murphy Mike Z. Owning 4 March 4th 04 02:35 PM
Hydraulic CS prop converting to Adjustable prop? Scott VanderVeen Home Built 0 December 5th 03 05:54 PM