free digital sectionals

Old July 25th 05, 10:54 PM
Darrel Toepfer

Gary Drescher wrote:

Hm, I just tried the Houston sectional at myairplane.com (using IE6).
Zooming in and out, and panning, all worked fine.

Try to go south to Lafayette or Lake Charles. It always stopped on me in
the MOA's to the north...
Old July 25th 05, 11:01 PM
Darrel Toepfer

three-eight-hotel wrote:

Forgive me if this gets double-posted (wasn't logged in the first
time)...

These are nice and I just wanted to add a "thanks!"

I often want to take a look at a current sectional to see what I may be
"in for", on a particular flight. I may do this weeks or months before
I actually make the flight. I will purchase new charts, when
necessary, before a flight, but it's nice having a resource where you
don't have to purchase a trip-tik just to do some pre-preflight
planning!

I have just added "aviationtoolbox.org" to "My Favorites"!

Any other cool sites that you guys recommend?

Kyler has several tools inside the website that merge sectionals, zoom
sectionals, link multiple sectionals into a strip for your flightplan.
Might need to Google for the links, I never saved them all or learned
all the necessary commands... Its done through secure HTTP though...

He's also built his own moving map that uses those sectionals, I don't
think its available yet for public consumption though...

Oziexplorer allows you to import the GeoTiff's, never played with that
either... http://www.oziexplorer.com
Old July 25th 05, 11:05 PM
Gary Drescher

"Darrel Toepfer" wrote in message
Gary Drescher wrote:

Hm, I just tried the Houston sectional at myairplane.com (using IE6).
Zooming in and out, and panning, all worked fine.

Try to go south to Lafayette or Lake Charles. It always stopped on me in
the MOA's to the north...

Nope, I have no trouble panning there, or all the way to the bottom of the
chart. Must be a problem with your local setup.

--Gary

Old July 26th 05, 12:08 AM
Darrel Toepfer

Gary Drescher wrote:

Nope, I have no trouble panning there, or all the way to the bottom of the
chart. Must be a problem with your local setup.

Tried it on another machine that has all the current M$ updates, the pan
is very slow and doesn't center on where you are clicking, neither does
the zoom... Still doesn't work with Netscape though... Thanks for
getting me to try again...
Old July 26th 05, 03:42 AM
City Dweller

I found these, they are in JPEG format and thus much smaller than TIFFs and
can be viewed in a browser too.

http://forums.x-plane.org/lofiversio...hp/t12058.html

-- CD

"Jose" wrote in message
. ..
There have been several sites which offered free digital sectionals (at
least a peek a little bit at a time). I'm interested in peeking at the
Seattle and Portland areas for an upcoming flight, but can't find any of
these sites any more.

Anybody know of any that are still up?

Jose
--
Nothing takes longer than a shortcut.

Old July 26th 05, 04:34 AM
John Clonts

Gary Drescher wrote:

Nope, I have no trouble panning there, or all the way to the bottom of the chart. Must be a problem with
your local setup.

Tried it on another machine that has all the current M$ updates, the pan is very slow and doesn't center on
where you are clicking, neither does the zoom... Still doesn't work with Netscape though... Thanks for
getting me to try again...

I have had the same problems in the past, using IE6. Through experimentation I discovered that it pans or
centers to a point exactly YYY pixels north of where I clicked, where YYY corresponded to the vertical space
occupied by the buttons and location bar in the browser. In my case I think it was about 200 pixels, but by
turning off the buttons, location, and any other toolbars, I find that I could pan or center to more southerly
locations.

But mostly I just gave up using it. Myairplane never replied to my questions or comments. And of course
Dennis is probably in Oshkosh this week I did buy a CD for $25 that has all the sectionals, enroutes,
terminal VFR charts, etc.

Also, Kyler's stuff, though large downloads, are already georeferenced so they are convenient to use with
OziExplorer, etc.

--
Cheers,
John Clonts

Old July 26th 05, 08:38 AM
Jackal24

www.avsim.com usually has any sectional I want. This site is for
flightsimmers, but I was able to find, for example, a 42Meg zip file of all
the Alaska sectionals.

Old July 26th 05, 09:44 AM
pnw_aviator

If the file upload dates are of any indication, the answer would
probably be no.

Old July 26th 05, 04:17 PM
Kyler Laird

Jose writes:

Try: aviationtoolbox.org

That gives me a directory of stuff but you have to know what it is
first. What should I be looking for?

https://aviationtoolbox.org/members/...s/map_explorer

(I had to look it up too. This is just a demo I whipped up long ago.)

--kyler