Thunderbird Crash Footage

Old March 1st 04, 11:21 PM
Jay Honeck

Default Thunderbird Crash Footage

Many thanks to this group's own John Osterhout for forwarding me these cool
videos of the Thunderbirds crash from last fall:
http://www.alexisparkinn.com/aviation_videos.htm

There are two separate videos -- one shot from inside the cockpit (that many
of us have seen, but is still remarkable) -- and one taken by a spectator
that I'd never seen before. It shows the entire event from start to horrible
finish.

Having seen the T-Birds do their show dozens of times, flawlessly, it's
still hard to believe that they made such a simple mistake. (The final
judgment was that the pilot had set his altimeter incorrectly, resulting in
insufficient altitude for the maneuver.)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 2nd 04, 01:40 AM
Jay Honeck

The pilot survived, right?

His health is fine.

His career, I sadly suspect, is not.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 2nd 04, 02:10 AM
B.H. Lazard

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
newsJQ0c.13888$ko6.201585@attbi_s02...
The pilot survived, right?

His health is fine.

His career, I sadly suspect, is not.

Why do you call it a "horrible finish". Nobody got hurt and we got to see a
cool ejection sequence!!

The moral of the story here is that ANY pilot can make a relatively SIMPLE
mistake.

Old March 2nd 04, 02:51 AM
Jay Honeck

Why do you call it a "horrible finish". Nobody got hurt and we got to see
cool ejection sequence!!

You forgot the little smiley thingy. :-)

But assuming you're not joking, for a moment, there a zillion reasons to
call it a horrible finish. Hell, just from a taxpayer's standpoint I'm
****ed that we're out $20 million because the guy couldn't set his altimeter
correctly.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 2nd 04, 03:27 AM
B.H. Lazard

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Why do you call it a "horrible finish". Nobody got hurt and we got to

see
cool ejection sequence!!

You forgot the little smiley thingy. :-)

But assuming you're not joking, for a moment, there a zillion reasons to
call it a horrible finish. Hell, just from a taxpayer's standpoint I'm
****ed that we're out $20 million because the guy couldn't set his

altimeter
correctly.

I am not perturbed by a pilot making an honest mistake and wasting a $20
million airplane. That's a cost of 8 cents per person. There are a bunch of
thieves running the country, deliberately giving your money to corporate
interests. Now THAT is something to be worried about.

Old March 2nd 04, 04:39 AM
Peter Gottlieb

"B.H. Lazard" wrote in message
I am not perturbed by a pilot making an honest mistake and wasting a $20
million airplane. That's a cost of 8 cents per person. There are a bunch

of
thieves running the country, deliberately giving your money to corporate
interests. Now THAT is something to be worried about.

Oh, but the sheeple love those thieves, maybe because they talk about God,
or because they say they are "conservative" or whatever. In the meanwhile,
both major parties seem to be racing to outdo each other in restricting our
GA and other rights.

Old March 2nd 04, 07:01 AM
Dean Wilkinson

If you think the videos are something you should have seen it first
hand like I did... very surreal to see it happen when you aren't
expecting it.

Dean

Old March 2nd 04, 01:30 PM
Jay Honeck

If you think the videos are something you should have seen it first
hand like I did... very surreal to see it happen when you aren't
expecting it.

That describes a plane crash pretty well.

I witnessed a fatal crash at an airshow ten years ago, (the "stolen Piper
Cub" routine gone very, very wrong) and it STILL seems surreal in my memory.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 2nd 04, 03:41 PM
C J Campbell

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Why do you call it a "horrible finish". Nobody got hurt and we got to

see
cool ejection sequence!!

You forgot the little smiley thingy. :-)

But assuming you're not joking, for a moment, there a zillion reasons to
call it a horrible finish. Hell, just from a taxpayer's standpoint I'm
****ed that we're out $20 million because the guy couldn't set his

altimeter
correctly.

I am not perturbed by a pilot making an honest mistake and wasting a $20
million airplane. That's a cost of 8 cents per person. There are a bunch

of
thieves running the country, deliberately giving your money to corporate
interests. Now THAT is something to be worried about.

Are you saying that the government should not buy things from corporations?
They bought that jet from a corporation. They bought its fuel from a
corporation. They bought its replacement from a corporation. They buy spare
parts for it from corporations. They also bought the pilot's flight suit,
helmet, oxygen hose, ejection seat, and even socks from corporations. It is
hard to imagine who the government would buy things like that from if not
corporations.

Or do you just have it in for certain corporate interests?

Really, I can understand being upset if the government pays too much for
stuff, but being upset simply because the government buys things from
corporations is simply childish. It evidences an extreme form of bigotry and
tremendous ignorance.

Who do you think owns corporations, anyway? Are you claiming that you have
never owned a share of stock, never bought insurance from a mutual fund,
never had a pension plan, never invested in a retirement account, never
deposited money in a bank or credit union, etc.? Because if you have done
any of those things, you have been an owner of those "corporate interests."

Really, if you want to get rid of corporations, you will have to return to a
pre-corporate economy -- basically an agrarian self sufficiency completely
incapable of producing airplanes of any kind, or much of anything else, for
that matter. Even communist economies are heavily dependent on corporations.
Trade would consist of whatever individuals could produce themselves and
distributed through local street fairs or something. It certainly would
increase the disparity between rich and poor and probably encourage the
re-introduction of slavery. The economy would be so anemic that billions of
people would starve to death, die of exposure, or be killed in ravaging
plagues.

Everything you see, touch, use, eat, wear or live in was probably produced
by a corporation and could be produced in no other way.