Auto-rotating helicopter hits towplane during take-off

Old August 18th 03, 11:59 AM
Dave Nadler \YO\

Default Auto-rotating helicopter hits towplane during take-off

Fortunately, everyone's going to be OK...

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/loc...a-news-broward

Old August 18th 03, 02:01 PM
Judy Ruprecht

At 11:42 18 August 2003, Dave Nadler \yo\ wrote:
Fortunately, everyone's going to be OK...

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/loc...planecrash17au
g17,1,680962.story?coll=sfla-news-broward

And the hospitalized Pawnee pilot is Tim Barry, recently
mentioned on RAS as the Krosno TC holder. Speedy recovery,
Tim!

Judy

Old August 18th 03, 05:17 PM
Mark James Boyd

About a year ago, I was flying a Champ in the pattern at
Reid Hillview (tower was open), and base to final I saw
a huge metal rod to my left. Skid of an autorotating
helicopter. Well, I was a bit unnerved.

A few months later, I heard of a collision, again at Reid
Hillview, between a helicopter and a plane. Apparently
they "just barely touched" and there was no damage or
injury.

From what I've seen, over 50% of midairs result in a
fatality, a disproportionate number happen at "D" airports,
and helicopters in training have three times as
high an accident rate per hour than in non-training
(by contrast, airplane training is safer than airplane flying).

The only two pilots I personally knew who died were in
helicopter training accidents.

Helicopters certainly have their place, and provide some
much-needed capabilities, but anything that looks like
a flying Cuisanart gets a wide berth from me.

I hope Barry will be OK. Best thoughts to him.
Congratulations to the quick thinking teen in the glider.
It takes some real moxy for a young person to get
through something like that...

I'm glad the helicopter pilot(s) weren't seriously injured.
I'm guessing everyone involved is doing some soul searching
right now...

Old August 19th 03, 01:27 AM
DGRTEK

Ditto on the praise for the glider pilot. Amazing display of staying cool in a
tight spot! I wonder if the Air Force just saved a special spot for him when
he grows up in a few years!

It's strange how vast the sky is and how easily TWO aircraft can manage to be
in the same place at the same time.

Speedy recovery to all...

Douglas

Old August 19th 03, 05:09 AM
BTIZ

It's strange how vast the sky is and how easily TWO aircraft can manage to
be
in the same place at the same time.

especially when you are using the same runway..

we had an "incident" that could not be termed a near miss, helo training,
pilot called the auto rotation to the parallel taxiway, but over shot the
base turn and was over the runway. Jump plane had started take off roll when
he spied the helo out of position and aborted his take off roll. Luckily he
was only doing about 40knts and was not up to lift off speed when he
aborted, he was heavily loaded with jumpers.

Get well soon Barry

BT

Old August 19th 03, 09:06 PM
Mark James Boyd

Ok, so they have to
practice crashing, but do they have to do it at a busy airfield?

Having seen elevators and rudders thrash about from the
propwash of helicopters at several fuel pumps, and
having seen these many autorotations in my flight path,
I am consistently impressed by the experienced
helicopter instructors who use common sense and do these
things elsewhere. Some use "closed" airfields, others
suck up the extra cost and get their gas out of the truck.

I personally take my power students to barren airfields for landing
practice, even though it costs $$$$s to get there. I know quite
a few other instructors (including helicopter) who do the same.
Good for them!

Old August 19th 03, 09:48 PM
Shaber CJ

I personally take my power students to barren airfields for landing
practice, even though it costs $$$$s to get there. I know quite
a few other instructors (including helicopter) who do the same.
Good for them!

Great, but keep in mind helicopters need a hard surface for this training, the
surface can be a hard field at Falcon we training on the groomed grass. Most
helicopter pilots try to be good citizens. In fact may times I have been blown
by a single or twin that could have pushed to just a little different angle and
he would not have dusted me.

Helicopters avoid the flow of fixed wing traffic in the pattern.

Licensed, for Multi- engine, single engine, glider and Helicopter,
Craig
Old August 20th 03, 04:14 AM
BTIZ

Helicopters avoid the flow of fixed wing traffic in the pattern.

and where would that be? a bold statement in such a open country..

and some airports the towers direct them to not overfly active runways,
and at some airports, I've seen helo's do hover practice over the numbers of
an active runway, within rotor wash of gliders tied down on the ready line..
until "asked" politely to move their hover practice to the far end of the
field to reduce the beating of wind and rocks on nice gel coat covered
gliders.

I also heard one glider pilot offer a glider ride, the helo pilot said
sure.. he landed, walked over to the glider pilot and was promptly presented
with a bill or a law suit , his choice, for the damage he caused to the
glider tied down on the line in full view of his hover practice. A few chips
in the gel coat and canopy from wind blast throwing stones on a dry runway.

Next time, go hover over the far end of the runway.. not the departure end.

BT