How Many Clubs Still Have A 1-26?

Old January 20th 18, 05:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Larry Suter

Default How Many Clubs Still Have A 1-26?

Northern California Soaring Association has one that's used now and then. One of our instructors has done silver and gold in one and is organizing to get his diamond in this one, this spring.

Nevada Soaring Association at Air Sailing has another that's used all the time

Truckee-Tahoe Soaring Association has one that's flown by post-solo teens who work on the flight line in exchange for flight lessons.

Larry
Old January 21st 18, 01:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

Ahhh, the 1-26, the "Karmann-Ghia" of sporty gliders. It was the first single place glider that I ever flew at Sky Soaring (55LL), an E series serial number 672.

Old January 21st 18, 04:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

New England Soaring Association NESA at KVSF Springfield VT has a very nice 1-26E. Not quite as nice as Sugarbush's flawless 1-26.
Old January 22nd 18, 05:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

If nobody has yet spoken for Sky Soaring Inc., Hampshire, Illinois......
We have One club 1-26, and one Club member's (private-owned) 1-26
Dennis Burke
Old January 22nd 18, 08:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

SLSA outside St Louis has a C that mostly flies with a homemade sports canopy.

Kirk
66
Old January 22nd 18, 10:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, January 18, 2018 at 8:41:22 AM UTC-6, wrote:
Folks, I'm doing an informal survey. How many of you are members of a club that still has a 1-26 in your club fleet?

Greater Houston Soaring Association has 1-26E #661

Undergoing maintenance at the moment ... should be in the air again this summer.

Mike Brooks
XL5
Old January 23rd 18, 05:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
CindyB[_2_]

On Monday, January 22, 2018 at 1:15:46 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On Thursday, January 18, 2018 at 8:41:22 AM UTC-6, wrote:
Folks, I'm doing an informal survey. How many of you are members of a club that still has a 1-26 in your club fleet?

Antelope Valley Soaring Club. 1-26 #540. E model.
It has been flown very ably by a couple solo students this winter.
Last week she did some lovely spot landings on a calm day.
She's helping those pilots hone skills for summer work.
Bronze Badge and C Badge tasks.
And the 1-34 is there for the others who are reaching for more
accomplishments.

Central Cal Soaring Club (Avenal) has one on their list.
Lake Elsinore Club flies theirs.
The 29 Palms Club has one - maybe two.

You didn't say why you wanted the info.
You could use the FAA registry, the 1-26 Assoc registry, or the SSA's
Where to Fly function to cross reference this data. It wouldn't
take long, with a serial # list, to work it out in a couple hours.

Asking RAS for data is like asking your sister for a kiss. You might get it,
but you might not like it. And it won't be representative of the real deal.

Soar safely,
Cindy B

Old January 23rd 18, 11:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hi Cindy, thanks for the reply. I have studied the 1-26 assoc database and also the FAA database but that doesn't really give a feel for if those ships are actually active or airworthy.

I am working on ways to help clubs to utilize their 1-26's for more xc activities. I feel that we need to re introduce many clubs and their members to the virtues of these birds as a fantastic and safe way to give folks a taste of xc and also competition.

I have always had a suspicion, with a few exceptions, that while many clubs still have a 1-26 on their roles, they are fairly under utilized in favor of the more advanced ships. I know in my club, our 1-26 has been pretty idle with folks either flying the grob 103 solo or transitioning into our discus.

In addition to developing ways to get these ships up and productive again, one of the biproducts is the 1-26 Association stays alive with new membership and possibly new attendees for our nationals.

Dan
Old January 23rd 18, 09:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, January 18, 2018 at 9:41:22 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Folks, I'm doing an informal survey. How many of you are members of a club that still has a 1-26 in your club fleet?

The Connecticut Soaring Association has an SGS 1-26E along with 2 x SGS 2-33A and a recently acquired SGS 1-34. We fly out of the Danielson, CT airport.
Old January 24th 18, 06:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Tuesday, January 23, 2018 at 3:33:42 AM UTC-7, wrote:

I have always had a suspicion, with a few exceptions, that while many clubs still have a 1-26 on their roles, they are fairly under utilized

From what I've seen, if you get 13-18 year olds involved in flying gliders, flying a nice 1-26 is a goal to strive for, and an experience to savor. The magic still works.

So I'm thinking that the under-utilization of 1-26s may have something to do with the demographics of glider clubs.

And as an older person, I enjoyed my 1-26 phase a few years ago, but after a while I lost interest in our completely worn out 1-26. That said, I recently jumped at the chance to fly a nicely restored 1-26 on the right day.

So I'm thinking the under-utilization of 1-26s may have something to do with worn out condition of club 1-26s.

U.S. Clubs jsbrake[_2_] Soaring 6 March 19th 10 01:50 PM
Reliability and Clubs... [email protected] Piloting 23 August 27th 06 04:27 PM
SSA at Sun-N-Fun - Need New Clubs Stuart Grant Soaring 4 April 21st 05 07:42 AM
Our clubs new glider Brad Soaring 1 October 6th 04 06:59 AM
Clubs Chris G. Piloting 2 July 23rd 03 09:24 PM