Checkride - Passed, but the bubble did burst a bit

Old November 6th 04, 03:39 AM
Kevin

Jose wrote in message . com...
So that's the entire ride: departure, hold, two approaches, one of
which is a precision approach. Three emergencies, one of which
includes an engine out approach if in a multi-engine aircraft. No
partial panel, no steep turns, nothing like that in Canada.

Did you already hold an instrument rating for a single?

Jose

No, I didn't. This was my first ever check ride for the IFR. Class 1
here in Canada. I'm not sure what the equivalent is elsewhere. Class
1 = multi engine, non center line thrust; 2 = multi, center line
thrust; 3 = single engine. Makes me wonder why you'd limit yourself
to a center line thrust aircraft only, since there really aren't many
of those. Besides the Cessna 336/337 and some weird WWII German
aircraft, I can't think of any others.

--Kevin
Old November 6th 04, 04:03 AM
Jose

No, I didn't. This was my first ever check ride for the IFR. Class 1
here in Canada. I'm not sure what the equivalent is elsewhere. Class
1 = multi engine, non center line thrust; 2 = multi, center line
thrust; 3 = single engine.

Usually (in the US) one gets a pilot certificate for single engine (usually land) airplanes, then the instrument rating (in a single), and then pursues a multi rating. Nothing I know of says it can't be done backwards though.

If you get your instrument rating in a single, and then get a license for a twin, I don't know whether you need a separate instrument (add-on) checkride for the multi. I can't find it in the regs, though something in the back of my mind makes it
familiar.

Makes me wonder why you'd limit yourself
to a center line thrust aircraft only, since there really aren't many
of those. Besides the Cessna 336/337 and some weird WWII German
aircraft, I can't think of any others.

I was told that the C336/7 was created so that a person with a single engine rating could fly a twin engine airplane (since there would be no critical engine, and no adverse yaw, and no blueline). However, the FAA decided that not only did you have
to have a multi-engine rating =and= a type rating for that particular aircraft. However they made it possible to get a multi rating that would be limited to centerline thrust if you wanted. Advantages would accrue to those who wanted it just to
fly the C336/7 (owners, for example) and so didn't need all the training in adverse yaw and such (and to keep it all current)

Jose
--
for Email, make the obvious change in the address
Old November 6th 04, 04:56 AM
zatatime

On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 04:03:53 GMT, Jose
wrote:

Usually (in the US) one gets a pilot certificate for single engine (usually land) airplanes, then the instrument rating (in a single), and then pursues a multi rating. Nothing I know of says it can't be done backwards though.

It can be done backwards. I know someone who did all multi (except
private) and then single.

If you get your instrument rating in a single, and then get a license for a twin, I don't know whether you need a separate instrument (add-on) checkride for the multi. I can't find it in the regs, though something in the back of my mind makes it
familiar.

The PTS mandates if you are IFR rated in singles and go for a multi
add-on you are required to demonstrate IFR profficiency during the
checkride. You used to be able to forgo the IFR stuff and get a VFR
only restriction, but now the only way to do that is add a multi to a
cert that does not have Instrument privs.

HTH.
Old November 6th 04, 12:57 PM
Bob Moore

Jose wrote

Usually (in the US) one gets a pilot certificate for single engine
I was told that the C336/7 was created so that a person with a single
engine rating could fly a twin engine airplane (since there would be
no critical engine, and no adverse yaw, and no blueline). However,
the FAA decided that not only did you have to have a multi-engine
rating =and= a type rating for that particular aircraft.

An Aircraft Type Rating is required only if the C-336/337 weighs
over 12,500 pounds.....not very likely.
Now...the possibility exists that you have written a very poorly
composed paragraph.

Bob Moore
Old November 6th 04, 03:09 PM
Thomas Borchert

Kevin,

Besides the Cessna 336/337 and some weird WWII German
aircraft, I can't think of any others.

Adam 500.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old November 6th 04, 04:22 PM
Jose

An Aircraft Type Rating is required only if the C-336/337 weighs
over 12,500 pounds.....not very likely.
Now...the possibility exists that you have written a very poorly
composed paragraph.

It is more likely that I used the wrong words. One does require an endorsement or some kind of special approval to fly the centerline thrust Cessna, even with a multi ticket. I called it a type rating; perhaps the FAA calls it something else, in
the same sense that it does not issue "licenses".

As for a poorly composed paragraph, the last sentense is the result of an imcomplete edit. Not only do you have to have a multi, you also have to have a [something] is what I meant.

Jose
--
Freedom. It seemed like a good idea at the time.
Old November 6th 04, 10:45 PM
Bob Moore

Jose wrote
One does require an endorsement or some kind of special
approval to fly the centerline thrust Cessna, even with
a multi ticket.

Wanna Bet?

Bob Moore

Old November 7th 04, 12:12 AM
Jim Harper

zatatime wrote in message . ..

It can be done backwards. I know someone who did all multi (except
private) and then single.
Snip

Not even germain to the topic, but amusing. I fly with a guy in my
glider club who is rated for: Glider, two engines, three engines, four
engines (I think) and eight engines.

Military B-52's and Delta. Well, and gliders.

No single engine rating at all.

Odd, huh?

Jim
Old November 7th 04, 03:57 AM
Jose

One does require an endorsement or some kind of special
approval to fly the centerline thrust Cessna, even with
a multi ticket.

Wanna Bet?

No. I'll infer that I was mistaken. Since I don't fly those things I have no reason to =know=, I'm just responding with what I was taught in ground school &$ years ago.

Jose
--
Freedom. It seemed like a good idea at the time.