Videos: Stearman mishap temporarily shut down Washington’s Reagan National

Old June 9th 10, 12:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

Default Videos: Stearman mishap temporarily shut down Washington’s Reagan National

Article with cockpit video taken by a reporter (and another at the bottom
of the page from someone from the side of the runway) show a Stearman flip
on landing:

http://www.aopa.org/aircraft/article...8stearman.html
Old June 9th 10, 12:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
vaughn[_3_]

"Jim Logajan" wrote in message
.. .
Article with cockpit video taken by a reporter (and another at the bottom
of the page from someone from the side of the runway) show a Stearman flip
on landing:

It made the evening news. What a sad sight!

Vaughn

Old June 9th 10, 04:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"vaughn" wrote in message

"Jim Logajan" wrote in message
.. .
Article with cockpit video taken by a reporter (and another at the bottom
of the page from someone from the side of the runway) show a Stearman
flip
on landing:

It made the evening news. What a sad sight!

Yep.

So, what is the verdict? I say too fast and high, tried to force it on with
a wheel landing, still had the tail high and touched the brakes. Don't know
about that last part, but he was definitely not done flying when he touched
down.
--
Jim in NC

Old June 9th 10, 06:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron

On Tue, 8 Jun 2010 23:54:10 -0400, "Morgans"
wrote:

"vaughn" wrote in message

"Jim Logajan" wrote in message
.. .
Article with cockpit video taken by a reporter (and another at the bottom
of the page from someone from the side of the runway) show a Stearman
flip
on landing:

It made the evening news. What a sad sight!

Yep.

So, what is the verdict? I say too fast and high, tried to force it on with
a wheel landing, still had the tail high and touched the brakes. Don't know
about that last part, but he was definitely not done flying when he touched
down.

Looks like he might have hit the brakes too early, or had them on when
he landed. Hard to tell for sure.

Ron
Old June 9th 10, 06:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Wanttaja[_2_]

wrote:

So, what is the verdict? I say too fast and high, tried to force it on with
a wheel landing, still had the tail high and touched the brakes. Don't know
about that last part, but he was definitely not done flying when he touched
down.

Looks like he might have hit the brakes too early, or had them on when
he landed. Hard to tell for sure.

I was on the taxiway last December when a Gullwing Stinson did exactly
the same thing, right on the runway next to me. The guy was solo, and
swore he didn't have the brakes on.

Some of the older wheel designs do have problems...but we're stuck with
wondering why BOTH sides had problems at the same time. There aren't
all that many places where they connect.

Goodyear brakes have a couple of failure modes that will cause lockup.
I had one of mine break last summer; couple of two-bit metal clips
broke, and the brake disk was wandering free, ready to jam. Rather than
replace the two-bit clips (which cost $80), I went to Grove wheels and
brakes.

http://www.bowersflybaby.com/tech/wheels.html

Ron Wanttaja
Old June 9th 10, 12:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Flaps_50!

wrote:

"vaughn" wrote in message

"Jim Logajan" wrote in message
Article with cockpit video taken by a reporter (and another at the bottom
of the page from someone from the side of the runway) show a Stearman
flip
on landing:

It made the evening news. *What a sad sight!

Yep.

So, what is the verdict? *I say too fast and high, tried to force it on with
a wheel landing, still had the tail high and touched the brakes. *Don't know
about that last part, but he was definitely not done flying when he touched
down.

Looks like he might have hit the brakes too early, or had them on when
he landed. *Hard to tell for sure.

Ron

Yep, the brakes were on, you can tell by the smoke. No BUMF check?

Cheers
Old June 10th 10, 03:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

wrote:

[...]

Personally, ever since first seeing them on a 1959 Cessna 172, I've always
liked the concept of the Cleveland brakes--because the bulk of the disk
brake mechanism is inside the wheel and out of the slipstream for
(theoretically) less drag. However, there is no remaining doubt that it is
long past time to admit that the manufacturer has successfully killed off
the design with their replacement parts policy, and is it also long past
time to replace the remaining Cleveland brakes with something that can be
successfully maintained in a safe operating condition.

Peter

Old June 10th 10, 03:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Scott Braddock

Peter Dohm wrote:

Personally, ever since first seeing them on a 1959 Cessna 172, I've always
liked the concept of the Cleveland brakes--because the bulk of the disk
brake mechanism is inside the wheel and out of the slipstream for
(theoretically) less drag. However, there is no remaining doubt that it is
long past time to admit that the manufacturer has successfully killed off
the design with their replacement parts policy, and is it also long past
time to replace the remaining Cleveland brakes with something that can be
successfully maintained in a safe operating condition.

Peter

Peter,

I assume you mean "Goodyear" when you say "Cleavland".

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane
Old June 10th 10, 03:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

"Scott Braddock" wrote in message
mmunications...
Peter Dohm wrote:

Personally, ever since first seeing them on a 1959 Cessna 172, I've
always liked the concept of the Cleveland brakes--because the bulk of the
disk brake mechanism is inside the wheel and out of the slipstream for
(theoretically) less drag. However, there is no remaining doubt that it
is long past time to admit that the manufacturer has successfully killed
off the design with their replacement parts policy, and is it also long
past time to replace the remaining Cleveland brakes with something that
can be successfully maintained in a safe operating condition.

Peter

Peter,

I assume you mean "Goodyear" when you say "Cleavland".

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane

You're right Scott, and I have no idea how my fingers did that.

Peter