What is "Air Force 7"?

Old August 10th 03, 01:43 AM
Scott

Default What is "Air Force 7"?

A coworker is taking lessons at the local airport and he mentioned
having the get out of the way of Air Force 7 which was a 757 hanging
around the area for a few days.

Off at a distance a few days ago I noticed a 757 flying around the
airport and wondered what it was.

757's are not normally seen in this area to say nothing of 767's,
747's and 777's.

thnx
Old August 10th 03, 02:13 AM
Joey Bishop

"Scott" wrote

A coworker is taking lessons at the local airport and he mentioned
having the get out of the way of Air Force 7 which was a 757 hanging
around the area for a few days.

Off at a distance a few days ago I noticed a 757 flying around the
airport and wondered what it was.

757's are not normally seen in this area to say nothing of 767's,
747's and 777's.

Probably the Secretary of Defense, or some other Cabinet post. It
would be the seventh executive mission of the day I suspect.

Old August 10th 03, 01:55 PM
Joey Bishop

"robert arndt" wrote

Are you sure it wasn't a C-32A?

Are they different than a 757?

Old August 10th 03, 06:15 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Scott" wrote in message
m...
A coworker is taking lessons at the local airport and he mentioned
having the get out of the way of Air Force 7 which was a 757 hanging
around the area for a few days.

Off at a distance a few days ago I noticed a 757 flying around the
airport and wondered what it was.

The VC-137s (707) are being replaced by 757s.

Old August 10th 03, 06:19 PM
tscottme

Scott wrote in message
m...
A coworker is taking lessons at the local airport and he mentioned
having the get out of the way of Air Force 7 which was a 757 hanging
around the area for a few days.

Off at a distance a few days ago I noticed a 757 flying around the
airport and wondered what it was.

757's are not normally seen in this area to say nothing of 767's,
747's and 777's.

thnx

The US has one or more 767 painted in "Air Force One" colors. I don't
think there are any 757 painted as such.

Working my way through college I used to refuel airliners. It was very
difficult for me to tell a 757 from 767, at any distance, except by
looking at the pointy end of the aft fuselage where the APU exhausted.
In one aircraft the fuselage was painted almost to the tip of the APU
exhaust, while the other aircraft had a few feet of stainless steel or
unpainted surface on the aft end. I can't remember which had which. Of
course the 757 is a narrow-body and the 767 is a wide-body, but that's
not as easy to determine at a distance as one might imagine.

--

Scott
--------

Old August 10th 03, 06:38 PM
Tarver Engineering

"tscottme" wrote in message

Scott wrote in message
m...
A coworker is taking lessons at the local airport and he mentioned
having the get out of the way of Air Force 7 which was a 757 hanging
around the area for a few days.

Off at a distance a few days ago I noticed a 757 flying around the
airport and wondered what it was.

757's are not normally seen in this area to say nothing of 767's,
747's and 777's.

thnx

The US has one or more 767 painted in "Air Force One" colors. I don't
think there are any 757 painted as such.

The 757 is replacing the VC-137. I don't know where you gat a 767 painted
in presidential colors from.

Old August 10th 03, 06:50 PM
Jim Atkins

No, there are currently no 767s in the inventory. There are some 757-200s
used as C-32A VIP transports and they have the Air Force 1 type color
schemes.

--
Jim Atkins
Twentynine Palms CA USA

Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
- Groucho Marx

Old August 10th 03, 07:19 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Jim Atkins" wrote in message
et...
No, there are currently no 767s in the inventory. There are some 757-200s
used as C-32A VIP transports and they have the Air Force 1 type color
schemes.

Thanls for verifying that information.

Old August 11th 03, 12:41 AM
Tarver Engineering

"Phillip Treweek" wrote in message
In article , "tscottme"
wrote:

Scott wrote in message
m...
[...]

I find the 757 looks very 'long legged' compared to the 767. I don't know
of any 767's in USAF service, but there are certainly some 757's,
designated C-32. I had the pleasure of taking a ccloser look at one
(externeally at least, this time last year. Take a look at:
http://www.kiwiaircraftimages.com/757.html

The 767 being a wide body looks odd with narrow body sections 40 and 41 of
the 757 grafted onto it.

Old August 11th 03, 12:39 PM
Frank Hitlaw

"Tarver Engineering" wrote in message ...

[...]

Say what!!! I'll say it would look funny,Tarver. Sections 40 and 41
are on the front end of a Boeing it includes the cockpit and back to
the E&E compartment. Worked on alot of Boeings never saw that one
maybe in your dreams.
Frank Hitlaw