Leaving the community

Old November 19th 04, 12:55 PM
Jay Honeck

Fully agree. FWIW, the really problematic drugs (alcohol and nicotine)
ARE freely available - and the government makes A LOT of money taxing
them. There might be a connection...

Nicotine is hardly as problematic as heroin or cocaine. It may kill you, as
a by-product of burning tobacco, but according to at least one study its
short-term effects are actually beneficial.

And alcohol, in moderation, has been proven to actually prolong life.

I dare say nothing of the sort has been proven with any currently illegal
drugs, with the possible exception of marijuana. (Although I suspect the
risk of lung cancer from using the smoked form of marijuana far outweighs
any possible medical benefits.)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 19th 04, 02:39 PM
Matt Barrow

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
(Jay, would you hire some gang member to work in your hotel? Why not?)

I assume this is a rhetorical question.

Obviously a gang-banger would be a poor mix with an aviation theme, all
suites hotel!

;-)

Okay, there's one opportunity shot.

Let's see: what legitimate endeavor would a gang-banger fit into?

Anyone? NO, we need you to give him a job in your company or your home, not
someone else's. And the job has to be significant, otherwise they continue
in poverty.

Anyone? (....sounds of cricket's chirping.....)

Matt
---------------------
Matthew W. Barrow
Site-Fill Homes, LLC.
Montrose, CO

Old November 19th 04, 03:22 PM
Corky Scott

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 12:55:50 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

Nicotine is hardly as problematic as heroin or cocaine. It may kill you, as
a by-product of burning tobacco, but according to at least one study its
short-term effects are actually beneficial.

Jay, are you aware of the study that characterized nicotine as being
as addictive if not more addictive than heroine?

Corky Scott

Old November 19th 04, 09:13 PM
Morgans

Nicotine is hardly as problematic as heroin or cocaine. It may kill you,

as
a by-product of burning tobacco, but according to at least one study its
short-term effects are actually beneficial.

Jay, are you aware of the study that characterized nicotine as being
as addictive if not more addictive than heroine?

Corky Scott

And I *DO* believe it.
--
Jim in NC

---

Old November 21st 04, 12:10 AM
Roger

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 16:13:09 -0500, "Morgans"
wrote:

Nicotine is hardly as problematic as heroin or cocaine. It may kill you,

as
a by-product of burning tobacco, but according to at least one study its
short-term effects are actually beneficial.

Jay, are you aware of the study that characterized nicotine as being
as addictive if not more addictive than heroine?

Corky Scott

And I *DO* believe it.

I'm not advocating tobacco as it has too many adverse side effects
such as reduced oxygen levels in the blood. According to one flight
surgeon a heavy smoker is already at the equivalent of 5000, or 6000
feet before he leaves sea level. That also affects your night vision.

OTOH as far as addiction, I often wonder is it's more of a
psychological addiction than chemical. In the 70s I smoked 2 1/2
packs of Camels a day. I smoked them right down till I was burning my
fingers and inhaled clear to my toes. I quit cold turkey and had no
noticeable side effects. No cravings, no hunger, and I've never had
one since. I just kept telling myself they weren't good for me, I
enjoyed them, but I wanted to quit and I was going to quit. I went
through that litany every time I took out a cigarette for several
weeks. One day I ran out, but was in a hurry so I said, "I'll get some
on the way to work tomorrow". It was three days later when I realized
I hadn't had a craving for a cigarette. Never had one since. I don't
even like the smell now.

Of course there is little worse than a reformed smoker, unless it's
non believer who just got religion.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old November 21st 04, 12:16 AM
Morgans

"Roger" wrote

OTOH as far as addiction, I often wonder is it's more of a
psychological addiction than chemical. In the 70s I smoked 2 1/2
packs of Camels a day. I smoked them right down till I was burning my
fingers and inhaled clear to my toes. I quit cold turkey and had no
noticeable side effects. No cravings, no hunger, and I've never had
one since.

I suppose there are as many different reactions as there are people. For
me, when I quit, my skin "crawled", and I felt like I had a big case of the
"jitters". Goes on about 3 days, about all day, every minute. After that,
I agree that staying quit is all psychological.
--
Jim in NC

---

Old November 21st 04, 02:04 AM
Jay Honeck

I suppose there are as many different reactions as there are people. For
me, when I quit, my skin "crawled", and I felt like I had a big case of
the
"jitters". Goes on about 3 days, about all day, every minute. After
that,
I agree that staying quit is all psychological.

Man, I'm with Jim on this one. I smoked 2.5 packs of Marlboros a day for
years, and quit cold-turkey in 1986, while watching my father-in-law die a
horrible death due to lung cancer.

Man, I punched walls till my knuckles bled, and was just a total ******* to
be around. After three days the physical symptoms were gone, but the
psychological addiction persisted for many years.

To this day, I still love the THOUGHT of having a smoke -- although I really
can't stand the smell anymore, and being in a smoky bar gives me a sore
throat and sticky eyes... And I've never had another cigarette -- not even
one -- knowing how horribly addicting they are.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 21st 04, 02:06 AM
Jay Honeck

Nicotine is hardly as problematic as heroin or cocaine. It may kill you,
as
a by-product of burning tobacco, but according to at least one study its
short-term effects are actually beneficial.

Jay, are you aware of the study that characterized nicotine as being
as addictive if not more addictive than heroine?

Absolutely. Quitting smoking was the hardest thing I've ever done.

But that doesn't change the fact that nicotine has been "proven" (by yet
another highly suspect government study) to make the synapses fire faster.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 21st 04, 04:58 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Jay Honeck wrote:

Man, I'm with Jim on this one.

Same here.

George Patterson
If a man gets into a fight 3,000 miles away from home, he *had* to have
been looking for it.

Leaving the community David Brooks Instrument Flight Rules 556 November 30th 04 08:08 PM
aero-domains for anybody in the aviation community secura Aviation Marketplace 1 June 26th 04 07:37 PM
Unruly Passengers SelwayKid Piloting 88 June 5th 04 08:35 AM
Report Leaving Assigned Altitude? John Clonts Instrument Flight Rules 81 March 20th 04 02:34 PM
Big Kahunas Jay Honeck Piloting 360 December 20th 03 12:59 AM