FBO's and WiFi

Old August 18th 03, 07:20 PM
Javier Henderson

Default FBO's and WiFi

I overnighted at CRQ on Friday, and used Western Flight for FBO services.

I was pleasantly surprised to find out that they offer complimentary WiFi
Internet access to their customers. Details are posted right on the
counter.

Just passing the info along. I wish more FBO's offered this
service. The overnight ramp fee was $10. Fuel is $2.18 at the self
service island. Friendly folks, the car I had reserved was ready as
promised, and the hotel room they had reserved had been guaranteed for
a late arrival as requested.

-jav
Old August 18th 03, 08:17 PM
mtmueller

With a good card, and assuming the FBO has their router/antennas positioned
properly, I would say yes.

"Newps" wrote in message
. net...

Javier Henderson wrote:

I overnighted at CRQ on Friday, and used Western Flight for FBO

services.

I was pleasantly surprised to find out that they offer complimentary

WiFi
Internet access to their customers. Details are posted right on the
counter.

Is the range sufficient that, say, the guy in the tower might be able to
access the net?

Old August 18th 03, 08:18 PM
mtmueller

Seeing as McD's and Panerra's offer this as complimentary these days, it is
going to be just another ammenity.

It means not having to wait for the students to finish up at the weather
terminal...

Old August 19th 03, 02:42 PM
Javier Henderson

Newps writes:

Javier Henderson wrote:

I overnighted at CRQ on Friday, and used Western Flight for FBO services.
I was pleasantly surprised to find out that they offer complimentary
WiFi
Internet access to their customers. Details are posted right on the
counter.

Is the range sufficient that, say, the guy in the tower might be able
to access the net?

In general, it can be made work like that. In this particular situation,
the tower isn't too far from the FBO, but I doubt the signal is usable
at that distance.

-jav
Old August 19th 03, 05:09 PM

Another data point for you...

Lincoln Park Aviation (N07) in New Jersey also has wireless. I regularly
bring my laptop over to get the latest weather, DUATs, etc. before a flight.

It should be a no brainer if you already have DSL/Cable. Your overhead is
$100 for a WAP. You'd think every FBO would do it. Of course, some FBOs
are so cheap they don't even have PCs (nevermind a network connection). If
you like anachronisms, stop by the "weather center" at Caldwell Flight
Academy at CDW sometime. If I recall correctly, it's a 100Mhz Pentium with
a 2400 baud modem and a dot matrix printer.

mark

Old August 19th 03, 11:42 PM
One's Too Many

Another data point for you...

Lincoln Park Aviation (N07) in New Jersey also has wireless. I regularly
bring my laptop over to get the latest weather, DUATs, etc. before a flight.

It should be a no brainer if you already have DSL/Cable. Your overhead is

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That's the gotcha at most smaller G/A airports. Around here DSL would
cost $350 for the "approved" DSL modem, plus another $300 installation
fee and then because the FBO would be a "business subscriber" the
monthly bandwidth service + phone line fees will cost $99/month
instead of $49/month like a residential account would pay. And then we
find out that the airport is almost 3000 feet too far in terms of wire
length from the nearest phone company central office building for DSL
to even work. ISDN service might reach out here but would cost
$140/month plus the $350 modem plus $300 setup fee. Of course they'd
be happy to sell us a fractional T-1 line for $450/month plus
installation and equipment costs. I hate the phone company. They're
hardly selling any broadband accounts because they refuse to sell
anything unless they can first make a killing off each one.

Cablemodems still aren't available since the airport is located in a
quasi-rural area. Maybe in about another year they'll have TV cable
run out to this neck of the woods. Meanwhile we're hoping someone will
open up a long-range wireless ISP with those outdoor parabolic grid
antennas. The thought of installing a 50-75' tall antenna pole next to
the FBO building that close to the runway doesn't sit too well with
most folks around here however, but the airport sits down in a hole
and reaching back into town to a WISP's tower will be tough.

We can't even get decent dialup service because the analog phone lines
servicing this area are decades old and have so much sizzling and
crackling static on them that 19.2k - 21.6k baud is doing good if you
can keep the connection alive for more than 10 minues at a time. And
the phone company was going to attempt to use these same old copper
lines for transporting DSL, ISDN or T-1 signal. Shyeah right.
Old August 20th 03, 12:52 AM
Montblack

http://www.orderdsl.net/satellite.htm
How well do these systems work?

2-way satellite "high speed" internet access.

Anyone with experience with these systems? Hidden costs?

Looks like a good $99 month solution - if it works.

--
Montblack

Old August 20th 03, 02:43 AM
John Galban

Newps wrote in message .net...
Javier Henderson wrote:

I overnighted at CRQ on Friday, and used Western Flight for FBO services.

I was pleasantly surprised to find out that they offer complimentary WiFi
Internet access to their customers. Details are posted right on the
counter.

Is the range sufficient that, say, the guy in the tower might be able to
access the net?

You know how to use a Pringle's can, don't you??

http://www.time.com/time/archive/pre...260724,00.html

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)
Old August 20th 03, 03:36 AM
Darrel Toepfer

"Montblack" wrote...
http://www.orderdsl.net/satellite.htm
How well do these systems work?

2-way satellite "high speed" internet access.

Anyone with experience with these systems? Hidden costs?

Looks like a good $99 month solution - if it works.

500ms ping time minimum... So count on lots of lag...

Some don't network very well...

None will work when it rains hard or the sun is in transit (summer / winter
soltice)...

All end up with more customers than they can actually support (whether it be
on the transponders, gateways or internet bandwidth)...

They all limit how much you can download, whether they tell you they do or
not...

Old August 20th 03, 05:13 AM
Peter Duniho

"Darrel Toepfer" wrote in message
500ms ping time minimum... So count on lots of lag...

Unless you are playing online computer games, you would never notice the
lag. Most Internet access is of the form "brief request for data, followed
by large amount of data returned". It'll take an extra half-second for the
data to show up, but that will generally be swamped by the time it takes to
actually generate and send the data, even at broadband speeds.

Some don't network very well...

Not sure what that means.

None will work when it rains hard or the sun is in transit (summer /

winter
soltice)...

Why would you say that? The satellite data systems I've seen are based on
similar technology to that used for my digital broadcast satellite system.
At worst, data throughput drops *some*, and that's in the very worst
downpours.

I have no idea why the solstices would have any effect on data transmission.
Perhaps you could explain that one.

All end up with more customers than they can actually support (whether it

be
on the transponders, gateways or internet bandwidth)...

That may well be true. Though, of course, it happens with DSL and cable as
well.

Pete