Removeable tie down stakes - recommendations

Old July 8th 03, 12:46 AM
Maule Driver

Default Removeable tie down stakes - recommendations

Thanks for all the feedback to my 6/20 post where I asked for recommendations for portable tiedown stakes.

I decided to buy "The Claw" from Hunting Solutions in Pearl MS.681-932-5832. The set received a good review in the latest issue of Aviation Consumer. It seemed to address most of the shortcomings of other systems.

The set is packaged in a nice cloth carrying case. It consists of 3 'claws', 9 stakes, one length of rope and a small claw hammer. I'm impressed with the well thought out design and the packaging. The weight is aprox 9lbs according to my bathroom scale. The price was $119 + 10 for UPS shipping.

I assume it will work as well as the Consumer review and I'm satisfied at this point. It seems worth the price.

Old July 8th 03, 02:55 AM
Justin Case

I'm still looking for good tiedowns. Either by building or buying.
Was there a website on these?

Old July 8th 03, 12:00 PM
Thomas Borchert

Maule,

thanks for posting the weight - I found that information missing
prominently from the AvCon article.

Why only one length of rope? Do they want you to cut it in threes?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old July 8th 03, 02:47 PM
Maule Driver

"Thomas Borchert" wrote in message
thanks for posting the weight - I found that information missing
prominently from the AvCon article.

Why only one length of rope? Do they want you to cut it in threes?

It seems so and that would be the smart way to do it (hi/lo wing,
taildragger). It is 18' in length. The same type I use already.

The weight is more than I would have expected and yet, I guess that is part
of what is required to have an effective system. Seems right.

Old July 8th 03, 02:51 PM
Maule Driver

"Justin Case" wrote in message
I'm still looking for good tiedowns. Either by building or buying.
Was there a website on these?

I don't remember. I referenced the Aviation Consumer site. Call him - I
think it may be a 1 person operation.

Old July 9th 03, 08:02 AM
Thomas Borchert

Dave,

I dispensed with the rope altogether and used manufactured webbing with
hooks and a buckle (Home depot variety).

well, you might want to read Aviation Cinsumer's article on testing this
kind of stuff. Summarized best as: That kind of hardware is often the
weakest link by a huge margin.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old July 9th 03, 10:14 AM
Wayne

I agree, I like to see a nice knot. Guess that's the boater in me
though, or is it the boyscout in me. A friend of mine sold his 172 and they
had it tied down via those straps with metal buckles. All the planes were
tied to the same cable running accross the apron. One of then worked loose
enough that the "J" hook came out of one side during a storm. Went down hill
from there, plane went on it's side and the other metal hook allowed it to
slide, right into the other planes, grouped them all together and flop them
all over. A total loss on all planes tied on that cable. What a shame! Got a
picture of it somewhere, I'll see if I can locate it and provide a link. The
webbing is very strong, the buckle's can be a weak point, the "J" hooks can
slip off pretty easy.

Wayne

Old July 10th 03, 10:24 PM
Justin Case

Is that a good phone number? And is there anything on the web about
it? I Ain't paying $12.00 to Belvoir for the article. Thanks