Cross Country - Beginning Racing Camp

Old October 13th 11, 08:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
asw

Default Cross Country - Beginning Racing Camp

As a collaboration between the SSA Region 2&4 and Region 6 directors,
we are planning to hold a Cross Country - Beginning Racing Camp at
Ceasar Creek Soaring Club in Waynesville, Ohio
(USA) this coming June.

Caesar Creek has committed to hosting the XC Camp on June 11-15 2012,
the week immediately preceding their regional contest (Region 6S).
The Camp is an event that is sanctioned by the SSA. There is camp
website with some information. The website is still a work in
progress, but much of the important information is there now.

Please see the details about the XC camp on the website at ---
https://sites.google.com/site/2012xcsoaringcamp/home

You can register for the XC camp through the SSA Website at --
http://www.ssa.org/members/contestre...il.asp?id=2193

There are many advantages to holding such a camp at CCSC.
The main features a

* Great facilities: A private gliderport with a large, wide grass
strip, campsites with electrical hookups, showers, clubhouse, etc.

* Benign terrain: Completely flat (the highest things around are
the interstate overpasses and the odd radio tower), with superb
landability. Crops will be low in June, so most of the area is one
big landing field. There are lots of airports and grass strips in the
area.
All turnpoints used in the camp will be airports.

* Serious XC learning experience. There is a complete curriculum
planned, covering cross-country flying and racing. Two lecture
sessions each day, plus mentored flying and group/Individual
debriefings.

* Experienced and committed camp staff: CCSC has hosted numerous
camps, Regional and National competitions at their site, and their all-
volunteer staff does a superb job making sure everyone has a good
time. There will be a large cadre of experienced XC pilots with plenty
of racing experience to serve as XC instructors and mentors. The
final line up of two place ships is not quite complete, but we hope to
have at least 6 two place ships for people to fly with experienced
racing pilots - (2) ASK-21's, (2) DG-1000's and (2) Duos. (Only the
last Duo is uncertain right now).

*The plan is that each participant comes with their own ship and
flies with a mentor in a small lead / follow group and at least once
in one of the two place ships with a mentor during the camp

* A unique part of the camp will be to use Condor to foil mother
natures best laid plans. We plan to make Condor flying an integral
part of the camp. We are asking all participants to bring a Condor
setup with them. We will fly organized races in Condor every rainy,
non-flying day, complete with awards for day and overall winners.
Camp staff will be on hand to help Condor newbies get up and running.

* Although the camp is aimed at XC pilots with their own
sailplanes, we plan to enroll some pilots without gliders as
'auditors'. Auditors will attend all the lectures, fly in all the
Condor races (and if there is sufficient interest, we will organize
Condor races for them on normal flying days), and interact with the
mentor/instructor staff. Although camp participants with their own
sailplanes will get priority for positions in the high-performance 2-
seaters, we hope to use the 2 ASK-21's to fly introductory XC tasks
with auditors.

If you are interested, please sign up on the SSA website and we look
forward to seeing you next June.

Jim Garrison -- Region 2 & 4 SSA Director
John Lubon -- Region 6 SSA Director
Frank Paynter - Camp Director
Rolf Hegele - Camp Director
Old October 14th 11, 09:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary[_5_]

You can register for the XC camp through the SSA Website at --http://www..ssa.org/members/contestr...sDetail.asp?id...

[...]

Looks to be a great week.....already over half the open slots have
been spoken for. I'm looking forward to using it to get my racing
chops back up after a long lay-off now that I have a plane again.

Gary Adams