Received my first speed restriction

Old March 10th 04, 06:49 PM
Peter R.

Default Received my first speed restriction

Yesterday, while wrapping up my complex, high performance instruction in a
Bonanza V35, I received my first speed restriction from ATC during the
approach back into the class C airport. "Bonanza XX, do not exceed 150,
number two following a Dash 8, cleared ILS 28 approach."

After a little more than two years of receiving "maintain best speed" in
the 172, this was a pleasant contrast.

On the ground, the instructor signed his name under the complex, high-
performance endorsement, a little more than 12 hours of instruction later.

--
Peter

Old March 10th 04, 09:28 PM
john smith

Peter, if you haven't already purchased it, I highly recommend you
obtain a copy of John Eckalbar's FLYING THE BONANZA book.
There are many things I learned that I did not know nor was I made aware
of during my checkout.
Regards, Eric

Old March 10th 04, 10:54 PM
Maule Driver

"Peter R."
Yesterday, while wrapping up my complex, high performance instruction in a
Bonanza V35, I received my first speed restriction from ATC during the
approach back into the class C airport. "Bonanza XX, do not exceed 150,
number two following a Dash 8, cleared ILS 28 approach."

Congrats!

My one and only speed restriction (at HPN) went like this "Maule, how slow
can you go?", "80 knots", "...reduce speed to 80 knots, your number 2 behind
blah blah". What a mess. I did it but it didn't matter... got a missed
approach on short final.

The controller appeared to be handling, or perhaps coordinating a lot of
traffic with other controllers. In any case, he was using speed changes and
restrictions to manage it instead of vectors. Problem was that my
groundspeed varied about 30 knots throughout the approach. I'm sure that
everyones elses did too. Embedded, low energy cells seem to alternately
cause headwinds and tailwinds. No way that airspeed management would work
on such a day.

The 'Bo sounds nice. Hope to get the chance one day.

Old March 10th 04, 11:07 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, Peter R. said:
approach back into the class C airport. "Bonanza XX, do not exceed 150,
number two following a Dash 8, cleared ILS 28 approach."

Gee, and I thought it was cool when I was being vectored to the runway at
one airport in the flying club's new PA28-236 Dakota and got told "you're
going 40 knots faster than the 172 ahead of you. Slow it down." Heh,
take that Cessna!

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Last I checked, it wasn't the power cord for the Clue Generator
Old March 11th 04, 12:41 AM
Larry Dighera

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 22:07:39 +0000 (UTC),
(Paul Tomblin) wrote in Message-Id: :

...PA28-236 Dakota and got told "you're
going 40 knots faster than the 172 ahead of you. Slow it down." Heh,
take that Cessna!

With 47% more horsepower, I would hope you'd be faster.

Old March 11th 04, 12:51 AM
Larry Dighera

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 20:28:58 GMT, john smith wrote in
Peter, if you haven't already purchased it, I highly recommend you
obtain a copy of John Eckalbar's FLYING THE BONANZA book.
There are many things I learned that I did not know nor was I made aware
of during my checkout.
Regards, Eric

It must be good; they're not givin' it away:
http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?ac... 5461_2:33:73
Old March 11th 04, 03:26 AM
Jay Honeck

...PA28-236 Dakota and got told "you're
going 40 knots faster than the 172 ahead of you. Slow it down." Heh,
take that Cessna!

Fun, ain't it?

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 11th 04, 09:09 AM
Roger Halstead

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 12:49:45 -0500, Peter R.
wrote:

Yesterday, while wrapping up my complex, high performance instruction in a
Bonanza V35, I received my first speed restriction from ATC during the
approach back into the class C airport. "Bonanza XX, do not exceed 150,
number two following a Dash 8, cleared ILS 28 approach."

Wait till you get one that says, "Maintain speed as long as
possible":-))

I had been flying safety pilot for a friend who flys a Mooney. Later
we brought the Deb over to MBS for some practice. I received one of
those "Please maintain speed as long as possible"

He remarked later that had he flown the ILS at *that* speed we'd have
stopped some where out in the bean field off the other end of the
runway. :-))

Right Joe?

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Old March 11th 04, 03:16 PM
Andrew Boyd

Maule Driver wrote:

My one and only speed restriction (at HPN) went like this "Maule, how slow
can you go?", "80 knots"

Years ago, I was flying a practice ILS 32 in VMC at CYOW in our
Maule:

http://www.pittspecials.com/images/maule.jpg

and I was asked by ATC for "minimum speed" after glideslope intercept.
It was a neat exercise to keep the needles centered under the hood during
the airspeed reduction to 50 mph ias.

I was grinning away because a cold front had passed, and the wind out
of the northwest gave me a nice headwind, so my groundspeed (knots)
was in the high teens, which is probably not something ATC sees every
day on the ILS ... but they did ask for "minimum speed", didn't they? :-)

--
ATP http://www.pittspecials.com/images/oz_down.jpg
Old March 11th 04, 03:33 PM
Andrew Boyd

Roger Halstead wrote:

"Please maintain speed as long as possible"

He remarked later that had he flown the ILS at *that* speed we'd have
stopped some where out in the bean field off the other end of the
runway. :-))

It depends upon the aircraft. Some of the most experienced airshow
performers, such as Sean Tucker, Skip Stewart, Freddy Cabanas, etc
take advantage of the their wide-chord three-bladed propellors to make
high speed straight-in approaches (eg 180 - 200 mph) to very short
final. Then, the throttle goes to idle, the drag of the prop pushes
you forward into your shoulder harness, and you rapidly slow to a
normal
approach speed (eg 120 mph) for touchdown.

Flying cross-country with two Pitts S-2B's, what I've found works
well for large airports is side-by-side at a gentle 150 mph on the
glidepath, then as you get quite close, stay a bit high, then chop
the throttle and push the nose down so you can see the runway. It
makes for a bit of a rapid flare, but you get both aircraft on (and
off) the runway in a most expeditious manner.

--
ATP
http://www.pittspecials.com/images/oz_hh.jpg

Landing and T/O distances (Was Cold War ALternate Basing) Guy Alcala Military Aviation 3 August 13th 04 12:18 PM
Space Elevator Big John Home Built 111 July 21st 04 04:31 PM
Va and turbulent air penetration speed. Doug Instrument Flight Rules 70 January 11th 04 09:35 PM
Va and turbulent air penetration speed. Doug Owning 69 January 11th 04 09:35 PM
New Film: The Need For Speed - Going to war on drugs Phil Carpenter Military Aviation 0 July 23rd 03 07:43 AM